BruiseWayn

stupid shenanigans with a DB01

So i just kindda inherited/bought a standard DB01. 

I'll be quite frank. My interest in this chassis is a little over a decade late, and also the fact that its got a 280mm wheel base. 

I was looking around for a chassis with afew criterias; mainly 280mm wheelbase, independent suspension if possible, and the option of oil filled gear diffs. I want to mount a specific body on. I thought the width wouldn't matter; i would figure out a set of touring car arms to fit in, and then make up the rest of the width (i think i need 205mm whereabouts) with shorter arms from some touring car and wider hex adaptors.

DB01 being a Tamiya, i thought i could just find a set of touring car arms to fit. 

So before i go any further, anyone tried to do something like that? I could benefit from your experience. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, BruiseWayn said:

So i just kindda inherited/bought a standard DB01. 

I'll be quite frank. My interest in this chassis is a little over a decade late, and also the fact that its got a 280mm wheel base. 

I was looking around for a chassis with afew criterias; mainly 280mm wheelbase, independent suspension if possible, and the option of oil filled gear diffs. I want to mount a specific body on. I thought the width wouldn't matter; i would figure out a set of touring car arms to fit in, and then make up the rest of the width (i think i need 205mm whereabouts) with shorter arms from some touring car and wider hex adaptors.

DB01 being a Tamiya, i thought i could just find a set of touring car arms to fit. 

So before i go any further, anyone tried to do something like that? I could benefit from your experience. 

Cheers

Done something similar with a TRF201 which has the same rear suspension as the DB01. 

The Reversible suspension arms, TRF416 uprights, TB03 knuckles and get some 6 deg caster C hubs to mount facing forwards to neutralise the front kickup on the buggy, 42mm driveshafts and touring car axles. You'll have to play around with the shock lengths, but the reversible arms have multiple mount mounting holes which helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Done something similar with a TRF201 which has the same rear suspension as the DB01. 

The Reversible suspension arms, TRF416 uprights, TB03 knuckles and get some 6 deg caster C hubs to mount facing forwards to neutralise the front kickup on the buggy, 42mm driveshafts and touring car axles. You'll have to play around with the shock lengths, but the reversible arms have multiple mount mounting holes which helps.

Holly Camoly. Much appreciated. What reversible suspension arms are these? Gonna take a look at your thread. 

I was originally thinking about buying a setof XV-01 arms, knuckles and what not to trial fit and stuff. Many thanks once again!

2 minutes ago, BruiseWayn said:

Holly Camoly. Much appreciated. What reversible suspension arms are these? Gonna take a look at your thread. 

I was originally thinking about buying a setof XV-01 arms, knuckles and what not to trial fit and stuff. Many thanks once again!

You know what, XV-01 arms is a great idea because all the uprights you already have will fit. Definitely do that! 

You'll still need 42mm driveshafts. If you need wide track you might want to consider using the supplied pin drive rear axles (which are really long) with some spacer behind the pin, then fit a regular 12mm hex at that point. Should give you a wide track. Not sure what to suggest for the front. Maybe the TG10 long axles?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You know what, XV-01 arms is a great idea because all the uprights you already have will fit. Definitely do that! 

You'll still need 42mm driveshafts. If you need wide track you might want to consider using the supplied pin drive rear axles (which are really long) with some spacer behind the pin, then fit a regular 12mm hex at that point. Should give you a wide track. Not sure what to suggest for the front. Maybe the TG10 long axles?

Really? i just thought that since the XV-01 is a rally ish car and it was also available as a long damper spec car then it could make sense. 

Then use the knuckles/hubs/shafts from XV01... not sure if its that easy. but it is imperative that the wheelbase be kept @280mm. 

for the width i was thinking  of wider hex adaptors to make up whatever that i still need.

Download the XV01 manual and compare. The front knuckles and uprights are very similar to the DB01. The rears aren't, but they're cross compatible. I would start with just the arms and some shorter turnbuckles for the camber links and see what fits what.

• Like 1

Hi guys. 

Some time has passed since this post. the normal DB01 which i originally inherited is still been left untouched.

On that front though, i have ordered a set of XV-01 Asterion arms. Grey, kindda flexy. Interesting arms. I realised though. i would need another pair of rear arms for the front becoz the front XV01 arms wont fit; suspension ball end wont line up.

Anyways, i managed to acquire a DB01RRR without shocks and hexes for abit of song. Car's had a really really hard life though. So looking to rebuild that one as well. 

I have some questions though, before i start buying parts mindlessly, hope y'all experts can help me out. 

Now for all intents and purposes this is the track that i will be playing at. Eventually. When i finish my build(s).

Its a makeshift track done by some very dedicated guys.

1.Whats everyone using for pulleys and slipper clutch? If i am using gear diffs already, does a slipper still matter? I know there are aluminum pulleys. Would they be good for off road? 

2. What kind of oil is recommended for the gear diffs? Also for bashing, are alloy diff gear and cross pins critical? The RRR manual doesnt state what kindda oil to use so... yea. 

3. The only electronics i have gotten so far is a vintage Mars R with the optional steering drop down thingy. Always wanted one, but could nvr afford it before i left RC. Whats a good motor/ESC combo? I don't want something too fast nor powerful. Just horsing around the track and having enough juice to clear small jumps. Yea, i will run lipos. 

4. this is the part that i am confused abt the most. my poverty spec DB01 came wif front hexes and rear pin wheels (why?! rear pin wheels? dun understand. 1st time i see a design like this. but car came with 3 sets of new wheels so i am covered) 

(i) i understand the RRR comes with hexes on all 4 wheels. Are the fronts the same as the ones on the normal DB01?

(ii) since they are missing from the car, i obviously need new hexes. will #54668 & #54669 work? Or any other alternatives?

(iii) can i install these hexes on the normal DB01? I been told i need new axles if i do that; something abt the axles are wrong. True?

(iv) These **** hexes... are they the same size as normal tour car hexes?

Thanks guys, i'll be sure to share some pics soon.

1 hour ago, BruiseWayn said:

4. this is the part that i am confused abt the most. my poverty spec DB01 came wif front hexes and rear pin wheels (why?! rear pin wheels? dun understand. 1st time i see a design like this. but car came with 3 sets of new wheels so i am covered) 

DB01 stock/original wheels is different compared to nowadays standard 12mm hex wheel. If ur using that u only need the front hex # 54668, U dont need the back ones- as you said it, the back ones is a pin wheels.

If ur going to use todays hex wheels, ur going to need a new front axle. The original front axle is too short, u need a DF02 axle. With the rear one u need thick hex, try the 9mm #54610.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

DB01 stock/original wheels is different compared to nowadays standard 12mm hex wheel. If ur using that u only need the front hex # 54668, U dont need the back ones- as you said it, the back ones is a pin wheels.

If ur going to use todays hex wheels, ur going to need a new front axle. The original front axle is too short, u need a DF02 axle. With the rear one u need thick hex, try the 9mm #54610.

Wow this is confusing.

So #54668 & #54669 are  9 or 12mm? #54610 is 12mm?

19 minutes ago, BruiseWayn said:

So #54668 & #54669 are  9 or 12mm? So #54610 is 12mm?

All of them are 12mm hexes, 9mm is the thickness. U should check the front wheel is it 10mm or 12 mm hex , the stock/original front wheel is using 10mm hex.

If the front is using 10mm hex, u need #54406 hex, if the front is using 12mm hex, u need #54668.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

All of them are 12mm hexes, 9mm is the thickness. U should check the front wheel is it 10mm or 12 mm hex , the stock/original front wheel is using 10mm hex.

Ah okay. Got it.

The fronts from the DB01 are 10mm. So if 12mm, (54668) i would need longer axles, but it wont be issue for the RRR right? 

Whats the rationale behind the #54610? you are suggesting that over 54669 for the DB10 if i wanna run hex wheels, correct? 

With the 54668 thickness( 2mm), i think u dont need longer axles. Longer axles only needed if ur using aftermarket hex (4mm++ thickness).

If u have aftermarket 12mm hex (4 or 5 mm thickness, same with #54669 thickness i think) and wheels, try putting it in the rear stock DB01 axle. ThDB01 rear axle is too long. The easy solution is drill the axle hole in the wheels and make it a little bigger XD, and u can use #54669.

If u dont want to drill the wheels, u need #54610.

• Like 1

With gear diffs front and rear you definitely need a slipper, and a double slipper at that, there's a DB01 double clutch from Tamiya (54061).

If you run a gear diff up front and a ball diff in the rear you can get away with a single slipper.

Without any clutch you'll stretch belts or (eventually) damage your diffs or spur.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, djmcnz said:

With gear diffs front and rear you definitely need a slipper, and a double slipper at that, there's a DB01 double clutch from Tamiya (54061).

If you run a gear diff up front and a ball diff in the rear you can get away with a single slipper.

Without any clutch you'll stretch belts or (eventually) damage your diffs or spur.

seems pretty challenging to find one now, 54061

1 hour ago, BruiseWayn said:

seems pretty challenging to find one now, 54061

A single will be better than nothing if you can find one. Otherwise consider using ball diffs as they allow some slip themselves. 

15 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

A single will be better than nothing if you can find one. Otherwise consider using ball diffs as they allow some slip themselves. 

Actually mine has a single slipper in my DB10. the RRR has a single as well. I mean, this is a single slipper, right? i have no images now, but i did take out the belt cover; it was 2 silver plates on either side of the spur.

jq9qdt1SsBrd0uyZHoMctqPwAyIR-pXZv6F1YTaLhwdWLEFX7gidDFcPt6p608OqiLv7EeP-NDGNT1KZyEiqOAsGYBjVxRrtlXb_QQYHxC8e-CLBfNULyyi3N8VPoVAAXhntaqHdjqx8c-R52qiNsajxCf2wKwDpybXbpJQg6f4zID63MvjyZcGoRSEmiequU7sC7ok8x7nKZDyH0dCM9LHBKsybVHQm-NkdSL1fJkvPfcZZ_oAttwYCbpIkeM09-Ccw1nJGpvLR3c1HIsE23qhu3fngNt0z3A9erUiS-PpBwKMwQbvTPLn1iY6SQ6-_rcnoSbJ7k3u04z7b_oEkOnmN5jjvDPkgRzf1NSgkm0mwyouvi9xzen0z7KXhDp4wx4SzmBu1LAySk9F6HtoQu7jP_jkAefu0ihy5pGVsEwgW9EaN2cLj3Yua-LFgGTTHmLxa7H_capWJyV8QGINKDxt0cJK3LBNZ1zNEdqYpezG-QcKcjtmOg3k_hxmEQo1eI7A2qGRxFhWfAqqoyW9DEDo-F2lRd8Z7_5JVFUbI5rf5UA95LfXDKyY_7yM7typ6v2-M58Evrh0zTeif2uAEk73NYy1R-5WdP-M2wgBJMO98v3WSr1ZveSKHddlNcdQOfO7mEpzUjjTSj5v1FeqrtUBByuzbTARbMenFWUy02xIuFXlEN-5Ytvdd6TALnuvHnEwBSfIeThJPBpL5Rq2toHvtUQ=w1667-h938-no?authuser=0

This is from the DB10

eyFgo3AzknFoAf3JMzvcSARjNceUQgCHWkSEON5OHVn7-Pt8d1D7tXa6A-FtSEB-nB1G2X34DZ78qzhAIpYtO2adTq4c1dQyCJjoO5m0mzqHO__DXElBLDZkbeqXQPBj7f8z3EOsf2GdPQtKgvag_rfJNynpiOyzgWzySJtmjLNa3NhGi9PdfnXP0D1TVfsxw6R62VFVVALp6IakyJQqB1r_vmlKbKVybJX7swapbtCt3bV_SDdzScAhBM0j6jd-WF8XWHNJNCiwwAasvBIpw9jakhuZ1D4xIUZE8jWBWo802P8Q_ysAKEVo3P9sFkPELmEMzw5R-P-Wjm4gPqFf114rFeMiDxddR1l1oYiO3lq8zAdW4E6xMSr2kVdHXL5z-Z8s-P74wpGqNNC-11R71mI-8UVoN-amDh6SaejuF6pgr-HqaA4wUgae30SYAa4IwXdXA6nOeXoCNiZPObv6Dbk3S3fS2DIOEfRKvHwkLaUS2zzf8Srix66reTJpNyrnPC-TObyjK6-dp7wEwMX5g4J3ZQ8u-9iQ3yBuXZdkNTFDLvDV82hA-Stm7OQVN28gWWRP9so_mNG4jdIurBzomYn4GAesR2P-XgF19_3zUdPumlnb7M72MASIZX2JlNKdBv3IGMlOAqu1VpwFZEAdvp4MLT62kM_cJEn8gGg-ghRAakeiZpWcCOsYCINI9POzNWr472i1PPyDBOOvZn1Wx4EWsQ=w1667-h938-no?authuser=0

This is from the RRR. 

Oh ****. I just took a look @ a google image of 54061. Is this the double slipper?!