Sign in to follow this  
Mechanic AH

Can it be loosely determined what Tamiya re-releases?

For those who have been into Tamiya RCs for quite some time, when Tamiya decides on a reissue/re-release is there a pattern on what comes out? For example, is it loosely based on a chronological timeline on when a series of vehicle(s) originally came out? Or is it just an arbitrary decision? I noticed that some kits/groups are from a certain year(s), but then some are not. Do they mix and match decades? Is it somewhat predictable like what years might come out?

Been wondering because I’ve been looking/thinking of getting some old NIB on auction but want to wait because they’re so pricey. But I missed out on a few may times and regret. If there is somewhat a pattern then I’ll hold out.

Sorry if this is posted in the General section, it’s not really a specific model or release question but something more general. Thanks.

Some of the ones I’ve been interested in are:
Dyna Storm
Toyata Hi-Lux Monster Racer (or Nissan King Cab if I really have to)
Wild One (missed out on this when it was still available)
Thunder Shot

• Like 1

I'm not sure if there is a pattern besides how popular the original release was.   It has to be a 'legendary' car, I believe.   

But being a vintage collector myself, if I were you, I'd opt to get the original WildOne.. the originals have a much higher value and appreciation factor.   I've seen several NIB sold on eBay too if new is what you want.  

• Like 1

The only pattern I've seen is that if they bring back a platform, they bring out a bunch of models on it, usually with the exception of one or two. All the SRBs except the Ford, for example, or all the early 4WD buggies except the Super Sabre and Hotshot 2. So if you ever do see a King Cab re-release, the Toyota would be likely to follow, because they're the only two models on that chassis.

I would have said that once a body shell appears on a newer chassis there's no chance of a re-release of the original, but the Blackfoot shot down that theory. And makes the lack of an SRB Ford even more puzzling, since it's literally just grabbing parts out of the right bins at this point.

Actually, the more I think about it... Nope, I think their decision process involves a dartboard and a large bottle of sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

.......Actually, the more I think about it... Nope, I think their decision process involves a dartboard and a large bottle of sake.

EXACTLY!!! 😖😜

• Like 1

This topic has been coming up for a long time.  Just yesterday somebody bumped a 2009 thread and there was a mention in it about predicting re-releases.  The truth is, nobody knows - for a long time we said we'd never get an SRB re-release, but then we did.  Then we said we'd never get a Sand Scorcher because of body licencing, but then we did.  We said we'd never get a 3 speed re-release (especially after the High Lift came along to fill the gap in the marketplace) but then we got the mountain rider.

Every now and then someone comes along and claims to have inside knowledge that x, y or z car is going to get an imminent re-release but it's unlikely Tamiya are drip-feeding rumours to one specific hobbyist or one specific YouTube Channel when they have key stakeholders (importers, distributors, marketers, industry magazines) who would really benefit (not just themselves but the hobby as a whole) from having concrete advance news of future releases.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone. I guess it sounds like there is no way of knowing. I wish it was more straightforward similar to the camera industry where they have a roadmap of what's to come—way in advance instead of announce months before the actual release.

As others have already said, no one really knows but I personally think that Tamiya does pay some attention to what they customers are constantly asking for and I'm sure they keep an eye on social media and try to determine what models are popular though that as well. Obviously some kits make more finacial sense than others so you can't expect everything to be re-released but at the same time, they want the kits to sell out so they need them to be desirable.

For example there was a post on the official Tamiya blog a few months ago asking people to comment on what kits they would like to see re-released in the future and almost every comment was asking for a TF EVO, sure enough they've released one (sort of) this year so maybe that helped sway their decision?

What I will say to you is that if you want a kit badly enough and it does get re-released grab it whilst you can, don't tell you self it will still be available in 6 months time or that it will somehow drop in price because over the last few years all re-re's have sold out relatively quickly and the kits that get re-sold later always have a premium slapped on them.

I wanted the Super Astute but I guess I'll skip that and get a Dyna Storm instead if it gets re-released. 

On 3/31/2021 at 3:25 AM, Mad Ax said:

This topic has been coming up for a long time.  Just yesterday somebody bumped a 2009 thread and there was a mention in it about predicting re-releases.  The truth is, nobody knows - for a long time we said we'd never get an SRB re-release, but then we did.  Then we said we'd never get a Sand Scorcher because of body licencing, but then we did.  We said we'd never get a 3 speed re-release (especially after the High Lift came along to fill the gap in the marketplace) but then we got the mountain rider.

Every now and then someone comes along and claims to have inside knowledge that x, y or z car is going to get an imminent re-release but it's unlikely Tamiya are drip-feeding rumours to one specific hobbyist or one specific YouTube Channel when they have key stakeholders (importers, distributors, marketers, industry magazines) who would really benefit (not just themselves but the hobby as a whole) from having concrete advance news of future releases.

Yep.. I heard for years members saying the know someone at Tamiya that told them, the moulds were damaged or destroyed, they don’t have the tooling, the licensing and my absolute favourite.. Tamiya doesn’t want to ruin the market value for collectors 😂

In the end, the only thing that is certain is that no one know what Tamiya will re-release.