OldSchoolRC1

High Horsepower Holiday

Since I've dabbled in no prep drag racing a bit this winter, I've rediscovered the joys of running fast! I've been crawling and on the trail so long, I forgot how fun speed could be. During my frenzy of ordering parts, I ordered some DE racing "mini" drag slicks... They ended up being far too small for my DR10, and have been sitting in my parts pile waiting for a home. 

So like any RC addict, I was wondering what to do with them.  Basically, I'm building a car around a set of tires. They are on staggered rims - 1.7/1.9, so they are perfect for a 1/10 build. I was looking at Associated buggies thinking an old B4 or B5 would be a good match - kind of a smaller DR10 so to speak... then a Holiday Buggy kit popped up for $109. Perfect!!  Absolutely love the body and a 2WD platform was what I was looking for - and it was 1/3 the price of the Associated buggies. So a few clicks later, it arrived. Can a DT02 chassis handle more power and grip? Much more? I'm betting it can, but it should be fun to find out!  

Ordered a DT03 swaybar set(!) and dug around for some other goodies. Once everything arrived, it was time to get to work. Always a good day opening up a new Tamiya box...
20210330-184903-SM.jpg

A slipper would be nice, but not in the cards with this chassis. Gears are nice and beefy though. Stuffed them with bearings and built the diff with a tub of AW grease inside.  
20210330-191322-SM.jpg

At the rear, I added some modified TRX turnbuckles since the DT02/3 kits are in short supply here in the states. Also added the rear swaybar (hard) and metal diff outputs and some steel CVD's left over from my TL01B. 
20210331-164115-SM.jpg

DT03 swaybar set?  Well, since I couldn't find an '02 set, I had to improvise a bit. Figured that they were pretty similar for the most part. Our back was fine, but up front the '02 kit comes with a metal retainer for the front swaybar and the '03 kit does not. I sandwiched some black styrene together and made a holder... decal and all! I was so proud....However, I had to clearance the center a bit for the locking collar and lost the "M" in Tamiya which brought me back down to earth. :) But it works, and that's all that matters. I will say the swaybar in front is very sloppy... not sure if it's the same from '03 to '02 or not, but it'll need some tweaking.  
20210331-212324-SM.jpg
20210331-213351-SM.jpg

I'm using an old JR servo for steering - should have plenty of power for this buggy, but fitment might be an issue. It's way taller than recommended. Not sure how this is going to work out, I had to stop for the night but I guess I'll find out soon enough. 
20210331-215747-SM.jpg

• Like 5

This looks like fun - I've not really got into No Prep racing (it's not really happening on this side of the pond) but the idea of making something silly fast in a straight line is kind of appealing.

I'll look forward to seeing how this plays out :) 

Me too! I'm hoping it lives up to what I'm imagining in my head. If not, it's an easy conversion back into a buggy. 

Moving right along... Front suspension is sorted out and installed on the chassis pan. I replaced the upper arms with some old Traxxas turnbuckles and some random Tamiya ball ends. Maybe not very elegant, but gives me the ability to adjust camber which is all I wanted.
20210402-095229-SM.jpg

Servo JUST fits, it's much taller than suggested by the manual, but the steering rods just clear everything, so it's good to go!
20210402-095236-SM.jpg

Mounted up the rear and inching closer to a roller! I added the body mounts to get an idea of where the body sits so I can set the suspension appropriately. Such a cool body, it's a shame it can't be painted. 
20210402-095959-SM.jpg
20210402-100020-SM.jpg

• Like 2

There’s a trick with heating the body surface by torch in prep for painting, iirc. The blue looks cool though :D

Got the shocks sorted last night. I was shooting for 70mm front and 90mm rear to get the chassis a bit lower than stock. Worked out pretty good!

Out back, I stuffed in some Gmade XD's - maybe a bit overkill, but they were laying around and the right size. I had to put the reservoirs inboard as they interfered with the fenders. They look and feel great! 
20210408-113757-SM.jpg

In front, I used some integy 65mm shocks with some longer rod ends to get close to 70mm. They are pretty good shocks, I've used them on a few builds. The springs are Tamiya white touring springs, they feel a bit stiff but I won't know for sure until I get it larded up with battery and electronics.  
20210408-113806-SM.jpg

View from the back... definitely sitting nice and low
20210408-113752-SM.jpg

and a few poser shots with the body. Pretty much the exact stance I was looking for! Front Astrals are just there for mockup, I'm waiting for 12mm to bearing adapters which are en-route. 
20210408-113832-SM.jpg
20210408-113844-SM.jpg

20210408-113947-SM.jpg

Only thing that bothers me is the rear wheels not being centered. Really limits uptravel. I have a plan in mind though to re-center them....hopefully.  
20210408-113929-SM.jpg

• Like 3

Now we're getting to the good stuff. Since the HHH is sitting low, the rear wheels being off center in the fenders really bothered me, as well as rubbed pretty bad on compression. 

So, after digging in my stash, I found a set of TL01 rear hubs. The lower part where the hinge pin goes through is much narrower than the DT02 part (DT02 on the left) and should allow me to shift the axle slightly forward...
20210410-132344-SM.jpg

Well, that was easy. I used a CR01 "3 notch" spacer and a shim and it fits in there perfectly. It's as far forward as possible trimming the wheelbase a few mm. I relocated the upper links as well to a more parallel position....looked much cleaner to my eyes.  
20210410-133609-SM.jpg
20210410-133559-SM.jpg

Both sides swapped and the new layout out back. 
20210410-134842-SM.jpg

Better, but still a bit off just a bit.... 
20210410-134903-SM.jpg

After scratching my head a bit, I realized the front hole in the body is elongated and the mount is in back with plenty of room to slide around. If I could just figure out how to shift the body back slightly I should be good. Looking at the rear body mount, it attched to the shock tower at some molded in standoffs. Grinding off the standoffs should give me a few more mm... so out came the Dremel and off they came!
20210410-201608-SM.jpg

Boom...wheel is now centered perfectly in the rear fender. Under full suspension compression it hits the fender right in the center. No more rubbing!  
20210410-201804-SM.jpg

Now that that is sorted, time for some power. Not wanting to shred the drivetrain....at least, not yet, I started with a 3000kv motor, mounted up with a steel 17t pinion. I've got 5400kv and 7000kv on standby, but I'd like to see how it handled this motor before going too crazy. 
20210410-142849-SM.jpg

My typical wiring mess...It's all in there and about as clean as it gets for me. I tend to move electronics around a lot, so I just usually zip tie everything out of the way and call it good. 
20210410-203744-SM.jpg

Time to get cracking on the body... I got as far as adding some light buckets front and rear for some 5mm LED's. I'm not sure if I want to do the lights on the roof yet or not. 
20210410-205216-SM.jpg
20210410-205224-SM.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Love it. Maybe I missed this but what kind of wheel/tyre combo is that?

First paragraph of first post. DE racing mini slicks out back. The fronts have Astrals in the pics just to get it on all fours, but my Proline slot wheels have since arrived and look the part! Pics to come. 

• Like 1