Sign in to follow this  
J@mes

Tamiya limited editions

Having just got my hands on a UK Watanabe Hornet I started looking at the limited editions a bit more: 

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcitem/kit/kit49001.htm

It’s not in the list. There are some on there I didn’t realise are LE’s like the King Yellow. Next I got thinking on how many are in a production run to be called a LE & how much that varies across the listed products.

Then I learned the Watanabe Hornet was numbered for the uk market but the home market version wasn’t. Anyone know how many were made in total? On the main site there’s 17 NiB & 6 new built, if these numbers roughly translate to 75% & 25% maybe that relates to the condition of all the 240 kits. It would be cool to have a list of the 240 & what happened to them. 

I can't help with the question, but just to screw with your statistics, I have an NIB Watanabe Hornet and it isn't in my showroom 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Haha! I bet some on the site have changed hands, been built etc. 

Do you know what number it is @Mad Ax or did you forget/ never looked?

There were 600 Jun Hornets in kit form. The ones in Japan were sold via ZOZOtown (They also came with a certificate). 240 were brought over to the UK and certificated here.  There were more XB RTR versions these were sold at main retailers. 

• Thanks 1

Current Limited Editions feel like part bin clearance with rit dye to mask opportunism ?

To be fair that’s been going on for a while - look at TA chassis parts from 92+ 😂 - but better vintage Limited Editions had strictly capped / packet numbered sales and tweaked performance 👍

• Like 2

The King Yellow is LE? 
It is consistently in stock and cheaper at Tower and a lot of US retailers and we’re the regular Konghead is either higher or out of stock.

Also, I guess I should feel bad about driving mine like it’s stolen then ?

NOPE

The king yellow pre-painted edition was limited

What’s the difference between 911 GT2 47321 & 84399 or did the same kit get 2 releases on different codes?

4 hours ago, J@mes said:

Haha! I bet some on the site have changed hands, been built etc. 

Do you know what number it is @Mad Ax or did you forget/ never looked?

I can't recall if I've ever opened the box.  It was a gift from a friend who was thinning out his collection.  I'm pretty sure there's no shrink wrap on the box, maybe I'll take a look on Sunday if I remember.

8 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I can't recall if I've ever opened the box.  It was a gift from a friend who was thinning out his collection.  I'm pretty sure there's no shrink wrap on the box, maybe I'll take a look on Sunday if I remember.

Gift? awesome friend! If you check the number & you don’t mind will you let me know what one it is please? 

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

What’s the difference between 911 GT2 47321 & 84399 or did the same kit get 2 releases on different codes?

No difference. Just the item number. For some reason the 84xxx numbers Tamiya had been using for limited items changed to 47xxx. I believe there's more of the 47321 as they did an extra run or two in 2018 which all went to Germany as there was a TA02SW race series there.

• Thanks 1