BruiseWayn

extremely annoyed with the Stadium Blitzer/Thunder/Beetle

PS: I just realized i stole all the pictures from posts that already are on Tamiya Club LOL. Sorry!

So i was rather keen on buying a Stadium Thunder. Because i really loved the body shell (which obviously, everyone knows its from the Dyna Blaster) and i am an absolute fan of the kit. In fact i had 1(Dyna Blaster) 20 years ago. But it left a very bad taste in my mouth. The front shock tower upper suspension mounting hole stripped when i was building it. stupid Tamiya plastics. I tried to repair it and it broke again within the 1st 2 minutes when i ran the car for the first time... i sold it @ some point. 

Fast forward 20 or so years later to the present day, i am coming back into RC and want a cheerful truck to perhaps bash around in. when i read about the Thunder. Sure i knew of its existence from years before, i just never paid special attention. I realized the chassis actually has the correct wheelbase for this body. It looks PURRRRRRRFECT.

Tamiya Stadium Thunder Vintage Rc | #1923673864

Now i understand why the Dyna Blaster looked so strange before. The DB wheelbase is actually 20mm longer than the Stadium chassis. 

img16188_29102006165724_1_1100_.jpg

Ok, i think i want a Stadium Blitzer. Until i saw this.

20180727_214447.jpg.8daa98d9c8e36999f46f8028a20bbbae.jpg

Am i the only one thats annoyed that the motor is not mounted symmetrically? Because this to grates my cheese. somehow.

I doubt there is another stadium truck with a 260mm wheelbase is there? Everyone else seems to start @ 280mm.....

Interesting take on the Blitzer chassis my friend.  I've owned both used and new Blitzers  and have never had an issue with the front shock tower mount.  Granted, the chassis isn't exactly bullet-proof (I reinforced the area where the front clip mates with the main chassis to reduce the chance of breakage) however I'm not totally sure it was ever supposed to be intended as a perfectly balanced track weapon.

I love my re-re Blitzer Beetle for what it is.  By contrast however, for close to the same price of that kit I purchased a 3Racing Cactus Pro kit https://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=62.  This thing is quite a bargain for what you get and is very well balanced (mid-motor configuration) for those times I want to attack a proper track somewhere.

Please excuse my reply if you simply mean to grind an ax with Tamiya's strange choice of ideas on this particular chassis.  I'm certainly guilty of listing my complaints with Tamiya's design direction as well when it irks me.  Just thought I'd share some perspective from another Blitzer owner.  Have a good one!

I’m not sure I understand your feelings for the Blitzer. Are they purely visual, ie the motor not being central or the actual handling characteristics as a result?

I have run several Blitzers and had nothing but fun fun fun. With the right tyres and a 13.5t brushless motor they put a smile on your face. They are an old design but as the saying goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 
If you are looking for a track ready racing truck then I would steer clear. You might want to look at a TT02B chassis. The wheelbase is 257mm so may suit the Thunder body. 

2 hours ago, Killajb said:

Interesting take on the Blitzer chassis my friend.  I've owned both used and new Blitzers  and have never had an issue with the front shock tower mount.  Granted, the chassis isn't exactly bullet-proof (I reinforced the area where the front clip mates with the main chassis to reduce the chance of breakage) however I'm not totally sure it was ever supposed to be intended as a perfectly balanced track weapon.

I love my re-re Blitzer Beetle for what it is.  By contrast however, for close to the same price of that kit I purchased a 3Racing Cactus Pro kit https://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=62.  This thing is quite a bargain for what you get and is very well balanced (mid-motor configuration) for those times I want to attack a proper track somewhere.

Please excuse my reply if you simply mean to grind an ax with Tamiya's strange choice of ideas on this particular chassis.  I'm certainly guilty of listing my complaints with Tamiya's design direction as well when it irks me.  Just thought I'd share some perspective from another Blitzer owner.  Have a good one!

Oh no, i mean the Dyna Blaster. the failed front shock mount was the dyna blaster. that goldish ball end thingy ended up stripping the threads off the shock tower. something like that. it was 20 odd yrs ago i cant rmbr haha.

funny u mentioned the Cactus. I actually quite like it. But still prefer trucks to buggies. So if someone 1 day decides to release 3d printed longer arms for it, a stadium truck conversion per se, i'll get one. 

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

y visual, ie the motor not being central or the actual handling characteristics as a result?

I have run several Blitzers and had nothing but fun fun fun. With the right tyres and a 13.5t brushless motor they put a smile on your face. They are an old design but as the saying goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 
If you are looking for a track ready racing truck then I would steer clear. You might want to look at a TT02B chassis. The wheelbase is 257mm so may suit the Thunder body. 

I am sure its just me being me as usual. Definitely visual. 

I thought abt the TT02B, but its not wide enough is it?

Your thread title seems a bit strong compared the to content of your post :)

I'm not sure how you could mount the motor symmetrically? Unless you mount it longitudinally (which would require more gears), some part is always going to be asymmetrical.

Personally I'm a big fan of both chassis - the Stadium Thunder is a great basher (with brushless and LiPo) and the Dyna Blaster is just nice to look at!

• Haha 1

With the Stadium Blitzer body on and Sand Paws roosting you can’t really see the motor to worry about it to much 😉

A7D89669-3C6D-4B25-A493-81A555BAD382.gif

B84D13F9-7E0C-447A-855A-C0022034B3CD.gif

IMG_5827.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ahhhh - the Stadium Thunder in it's natural habitat, the beach. Mine hasn't been to the beach for a couple of years now. I think it's missing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BruiseWayn said:

I am sure its just me being me as usual. Definitely visual. 

I thought abt the TT02B, but its not wide enough is it?

This is the body on a TT02 T chassis. Wheelbase is spot on. The high body mounts at the rear distort the picture. I believe the buggy has a much wider track so may work. I don’t have a buggy chassis to put it on?

462D8616-3162-435F-8041-5E28CE9637EF.jpeg

On 4/2/2021 at 5:40 PM, Gruntfuggly said:

Your thread title seems a bit strong compared the to content of your post :)

I'm not sure how you could mount the motor symmetrically? Unless you mount it longitudinally (which would require more gears), some part is always going to be asymmetrical.

Personally I'm a big fan of both chassis - the Stadium Thunder is a great basher (with brushless and LiPo) and the Dyna Blaster is just nice to look at!

The dyna blaster kinda has the motor right in the middle if you know what I am saying. I like that. 

23 hours ago, Busdriver said:

This is the body on a TT02 T chassis. Wheelbase is spot on. The high body mounts at the rear distort the picture. I believe the buggy has a much wider track so may work. I don’t have a buggy chassis to put it on?

462D8616-3162-435F-8041-5E28CE9637EF.jpeg

All stadium trucks are wider than 2wd/4wd buggies....

But it does look okay on a 190ish mm width chassis too looking at this!