wintersdawn

Tamiya Paint Code Identification

I think that is a Lexan body, so it should use Tamiya "PS" paint. Look up Tamiya PS paint color chart. There are a few close ones. PS-3 = light blue, PS-30 = brilliant blue.PS-54 = cobalt green. I think it is PS-3?

• Like 1

Then maybe cobalt green PS-54, says green but is a blue color. Same color as the Tamiya Mercedes 1850L semi delivery truck. (for reference)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

I think that is a Lexan body, so it should use Tamiya "PS" paint. Look up Tamiya PS paint color chart. There are a few close ones. PS-3 = light blue, PS-30 = brilliant blue.PS-54 = cobalt green. I think it is PS-3?

Didn't realize that was a Lexan body. Sorry. I would have guessed PS-3 as well. Keep in mind that outdoor lighting can range from bluish, white, and reddish depending on time of day, so it can be hard to tell.  Here is a decent color chart though:

tamiya-ps-paint-chips-2e4c.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Then maybe cobalt green PS-54, says green but is a blue color. Same color as the Tamiya Mercedes 1850L semi delivery truck. (for reference)

The colour of the Mercedes looks like a match, cheers

b_56307.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm - im not so sure.

This is ps-54 cobalt green as used on the Vaillant Porsche 934

Resized_20200412_182109_7798.jpeg

Resized_20200411_130058_957.jpeg

For the sake of comparison, I color adjusted the first image to make the letters white. This should give you a better representation of the color (assuming those letters on the truck are white and not baby blue lol).

color-corrected.jpg.66a23c0c500bbb4d3e507973ed756d2e.jpg

• Like 1

Superluminal - 

Hmmm - im not so sure.

This is ps-54 cobalt green as used on the Vaillant Porsche 934

You could be right, just checked the Mercedes manual and it says TS-41 Coral Blue, not sure they do it in ps.

3 minutes ago, FatherDagon said:

Just a thought, but since it is Lexan, is it possible they did a translucent color with a white undercoat?

Which is lexan?

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Different name for the clear polycarbonate the bodyshell is made from

I was asking which bodyshell he was referring to was lexan.

Tamiya Fan 1 indicated that they believe the first shell is a Lexan (IE polycarbonate) body. With clear Lexan, you can spray translucent on the first coat, then white or black on the second coat to change how it looks or add depth. For example, PS39 with a white undercoat would give you a baby blue color. **Edit: Sorry I was referring to the topic image of the Nissan King Cab.

• Like 1

Im thinking this is definitely not a tamiya ps paint.

Faskolor/parma sky blue doesnt look far off

I have both ps translucent light blue and white. I can do an experiment for you tomorrow

3 minutes ago, FatherDagon said:

Tamiya Fan 1 indicated that they believe the first shell is a Lexan (IE polycarbonate) body. With clear Lexan, you can spray translucent on the first coat, then white or black on the second coat to change how it looks or add depth. For example, PS39 with a white undercoat would give you a baby blue color.

Not really keen on the trial and error nature of using two different paints to achieve a desired third.

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I have both ps translucent light blue and white. I can do an experiment for you tomorrow

Cheers :)

Sent an email to the Ebay seller of the Nissan King Cab and he kindly replied with the following:

Hey,

For the life of me I can’t remember. I have a feeling that it was a faskolor or a Parma paint perhaps....

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Superluminal, you may have been on the right track before, will have a look for faskolor/parma that is suitable for lexan...