B.RAD

Farm King!!! My third Tamiya build

11 minutes ago, taffer said:

ah ok the pictures showed step screws so thats why i mentioned it

Defo ball connectors in the pictures - maybe because they're the insert type, they just look a bit like step screws? I may have got my terminology wrong here though - they're the type you insert into the shock, then the self tappers goes through the middle?

271353161_PXL_20210505_1422339082.thumb.jpg.686a1b09961e0c40c8b63c8c582e1d76.jpg

You're spot on about the softness of the lower arms - the screws don't go tight at all. Had to be really careful when putting the screws in. Hope it holds together! šŸ¤ž

These are ball connectors, your farm king has screw heads?

ballc.jpg

6 minutes ago, taffer said:

These are ball connectors, your farm king has screw heads?

ballc.jpg

My edit must have clashed with your reply! I think I have my terminology confused...

you have used pivot balls? with a screw through the centre to attach?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, taffer said:

you have used pivot balls? with a screw through the centre to attach?

Right I've had to do some research on this to bring myself up to speed and explain myself properly. Apologies for the confusion! They are called ball collars, part number 50591. They came in the shock kit I bought, I've used them previously on my Mad Bull to good effect and was pleased to see them in the kit, so on they went!

That's it, ball collars!

Unless your jumping you will probably never need to remove them!?

8 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

They breed @ night šŸ˜‚

Which two do I pair up to create an Agrios?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, taffer said:

That's it, ball collars!

Unless your jumping you will probably never need to remove them!?

Don't indeed to jump it really, although all of my cars inevitably get air time at one point or another. This will mostly be an "entertaining the kids" RC, as most of my others seem to have taken on more powerful motors! šŸ˜

Update time! Been quietly plugging away at the bodyshell over the last week or two. I experimented with the "score and snap" technique I've read about on here and it really was a game changer for me. Made the body so much easier to cut out. A couple of small mistakes with the knife here and there, but nothing noticeable now, and it was so much better to get around all the fiddly edges of this shell. Another nice learning point along my RC journey! ā˜ŗļø

I chose PS-22 racing green for the body colour and I'm really glad I did. Not only is it one of my favourite colours, it looks mightily fantastic on this shell, and just so happens to be a similar colour to my son's current (presumably come morning time, previous!) favourite tractor.Ā 

PXL_20210513_182926774_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.2b3a28d46929ad3247919c3c9c3c253d.jpg

This was the most time consuming shell for me by far. The masking was really easy though, and with another new technique I've learned (where you peel back and snip off a small part of the backing, line the sticker up then press down on the exposed sticker part), I got the window masks on pretty much perfectly.Ā  A good two to three hours this evening cutting and fitting the stickers leaves me with this beauty:

PXL_20210513_201010014_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.a6c7487f97e5d621161ea85c6f5e231d.jpg

PXL_20210513_201015267_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.1a71be23e093e686d4401f875576d434.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it! It looks so, so cool. Ignore the servo wire, the photo was taken before I installed the ESC and receiver. I've gone for the Hobbywing quicrun 1060 brushed ESC based on a search on here for "best brushed ESC". They're such good value it was hard to refuse. Transmitter was just a cheap Etronix trigger type, but is actually really nice to use. It's definitely a wheelie machine! Pops wheelies like no tomorrow. I've only run it around the house so far, but really can't wait for a dry day to get it in the garden. My boy is gonna love it (and I might too, just a bit... šŸ˜).

A question for you though if I may - I'd like to be able to run the car at a snails pace, so my boy can watch it drive around the house, as well as outdoors. I can do this now with a very gentle throttle finger, but is there a way to do this as a switchable feature? Like locking the throttle at 5% or something?

What a fabulous build this has been. I've loved every minute of it. I've learned a few more techniques and tips with this one, which really is fantastic, but now leaves me asking - what next?! I've got nothing lined up!

• Like 1

That has come out very well indeed! Nice one!

At first glance, the reflection of the front bumper in the grill sticker in the bottom photo made me think that you had drawn a mouth on theĀ grill with a Sharpie, giving the grillĀ itself the impression of being a goatee.Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

That has come out very well indeed! Nice one!

At first glance, the reflection of the front bumper in the grill sticker in the bottom photo made me think that you had drawn a mouth on theĀ grill with a Sharpie, giving the grillĀ itself the impression of being a goatee.Ā 

Ha ha! Love that idea. Would look good with a goatee šŸ¤£