Jump to content
Tamiya_Fan!

Brushless Tamiya tblm-01S motor, is it worth it?

Recommended Posts

Just like the title says, the Brushless Tamiya tblm-01S motor, is it worth it?  

I have the TBLE-02S Electronic speed controller in my Terra Scorcher Re-Re, and that can run run brushless setups.  Is the Brushless motor that much faster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot faster. Its like from out of space compared to brushed motors even when using Nimh batteries 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say a 13.5T or 10.5T with adjustable endbell timing and the biggest pinion would wake the car up. 

Unless you want an all tamiya build I wouldn't buy a Tamiya motor though as they are so expensive for what they are. Save money and buy something like a Surpass Rocket V3 which will outperform the Tamiya motor at less than half the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jonathon Gillham said:

Unless you want an all tamiya build I wouldn't buy a Tamiya motor though as they are so expensive for what they are. Save money and buy something like a Surpass Rocket V3 which will outperform the Tamiya motor at less than half the price.

I had always wondered if it was a good idea to put 'open can' brushless motors in offroad vehicles. Seems like the dust would eat them alive in no time, but I may be wrong. At least in that regard the Tamiya motors are relatively protected against the elements with their fully covered cans. The Surpass Rocket v3 is pretty open from the front, and the v4 is just wide open everywhere (for example).

Does that make a difference at all?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I would say a 13.5T or 10.5T with adjustable endbell timing and the biggest pinion would wake the car up. 

Unless you want an all tamiya build I wouldn't buy a Tamiya motor though as they are so expensive for what they are. Save money and buy something like a Surpass Rocket V3 which will outperform the Tamiya motor at less than half the price.

The first sensorless tamiya TBLM series is like Carson Dragstar motors.

The 10T carson I have has the same identical esc as the tble01. Just rebranded.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/45039brushless/index.htm

I had the original TBLM01 8T that was only in a RTR available and seperate from Carson.

tamiya has made only 10, 12 15 16 17 18T motora I guess in these series available seperate. Interesting to me is Tamiya does not mention the TBLE being 3s compatible. But I did run the 8T Tamiya combo without issues on 3s. Without setting the battery type. While the carson needs to be set up for 2s lipo 3s lipo or nimh.

the blue and black cans are identical so are the esc’s between those two.

Carson goes for about 120€ while tamiya brings the price up to 200€ For the first sensorless TBLE&TBLM 01 series

C96D60DD-5834-468A-8A3E-C37D073E5477.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends whether the gearing is right for the motor.   Particularly the higher wind brushless motors are torque monsters, so they need taller gearing to give an increase in speed.

A low wind motor means more RPM, so that's one way to get a lot of speed and power if the speed controller and the car's gearbox can handle it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I had always wondered if it was a good idea to put 'open can' brushless motors in offroad vehicles. Seems like the dust would eat them alive in no time, but I may be wrong. At least in that regard the Tamiya motors are relatively protected against the elements with their fully covered cans. The Surpass Rocket v3 is pretty open from the front, and the v4 is just wide open everywhere (for example).

Does that make a difference at all?

Funny you say that, I run the V4S in my offroad buggies on an old school dirt track and no issues with dust or dirt. I take them apart about once a year, blow them out with the compressor and check the bearings and they are fine. I tend to run mine until they are noticably slower which usually means a couple of generations old and they last fine.

52 minutes ago, Wheel_Nut said:

It depends whether the gearing is right for the motor.   Particularly the higher wind brushless motors are torque monsters, so they need taller gearing to give an increase in speed.

A low wind motor means more RPM, so that's one way to get a lot of speed and power if the speed controller and the car's gearbox can handle it.

I don't have a Thundershot based chassis but find in a Boomerang the gearing with the biggest pinion would be ideal for 8.5T, but for a basher 10.5T or 13.5T works well. It means the motor won't overheat and the chassis is at the limits of its power. I'm pretty sure the Thundershot gearboxes are similar (ie, similar FDR with biggest pinion) and the chassis are probably close in handling as well.

Good point though, a 17.5T is disappointing and a 21.5T is a waste of time. Unless you have dynamic timing in the ESC, but thats another story

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The speed of a brushless motor is dependent on the turns or kV rating.  The greatest advantages to brushless are longer run time and lower maintenance.

Anything under 15t will be more powerful than what most non-TRF cars will reliably handle.   

Get the TBLM is you are trying to keep everything brand-specific and want to support the company that supports the hobby.  If you have a shallow pocket or diminished sense of loyalty, look for a HobbyWing or similar.   

I purchased 3 TBLM02S motors last year for use with TLBE02S speed controls and prefer them in comparison to 27t silver can brushed motors.  I try to keep them tame by using higher turn motors 21.5 and 17.5.  Run times are great, the throttle transition is smooth, top speed is such that the car doesn't shatter in crashes, zero maintenance, easy to clean, speed matches the cars ability to grip....

Edit:  I just saw that the original question is about the 01S as opposed to the 02S.  If you come across a good price for the motor + ESC combo, go for it.  The TBLE01S is a nice unit, though disco'd.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say not to get "hooked" on the Tamiya brand. Ok, kit wise you had to go Tamiya BUT elecs etc you get better and cheaper really easy,once you know what to get and for that just ask here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 10t tamiya brushless and it works just fine. That said, the TrackStar set I have works as well and was way cheaper.

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  Tons of input and great advice!  Thanks, guys!

So, I have a TBLE-02S without a fan.  I have a 8.4v NiMH battery.  What would be the ideal motor, within a budget?  Also, can anyone recommend a fan for that ESC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW - I just only now realize that I've made a newbie mistake and posted this in the wrong forum, I think I should've posted this in the Anything Electric forum page.  I will not object if this thread gets moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tamiya_Fan! said:

Wow!  Tons of input and great advice!  Thanks, guys!

So, I have a TBLE-02S without a fan.  I have a 8.4v NiMH battery.  What would be the ideal motor, within a budget?  Also, can anyone recommend a fan for that ESC?

I domt think a fan is really necessary. But any “turbo fan” depending on size either 30x30 or 25x25 will work.

 

I would do this... buy the cheapest motor available and try it.

I sold my Tamiya TBLM01 8T motor for 120$ and bought this :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233825784873

should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the motor suppliers give advice for gearing.   Of course this is aimed at racing, but will generally still be usable for hobby running and bashing.

The ratio's are pretty tall compared to what is run in a lot of vintage buggies.   Possibly check your kit gearing and see if you can get anywhere close to 7:1 recommended for a 13.5T brushless.

You can still run on 9:1 gearing - It will just have less top speed and run cooler.   There is no guarantee it won't destroy the gearbox on hard acceleration.

LRP brushless gearing.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Surpass V5R is a fantastic motor ! All I use now 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...