Tamiya_Fan!

Tamiya motor brushes and springs, Where to get?

Just like the title says, Tamiya motor brushes and springs, Where to get?

I have a Tamiya GT tuned motor brand new, and upon its first use, one of the springs that retains a motor brush got snagged on something and was lost.  I can't be the only person that this has happened to.  Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

Thanks

I did a google search "brushed motor springs' and got a lot of hits.  GL!

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I did a google search "brushed motor springs' and got a lot of hits.  GL!

I also did a google search and I also got a lot of results— only the results that I got all had different spring tensions.  Any idea what tension spring a GT tuned Tamiya motor uses?  Should I just get a new motor and not play around with guessing?

I do not know which tension the motor came out of the box, but that does not matter, I would get all soft, med, hard tensions and try them on the brushes you currently have.  One cannot just trust which spring rate and think it is the best for that brush or gearing you currently have set up  on the car.

Back then I just used different tensions when using different brushes and was all trial and error to achieve the performance I wanted.  It was not just one spring I used on a motor.

That said, I would also buy different brush hardnesses and invest in a lathe for cutting your comm if you are serious about using that motor.  I use to cut the comm after 3 runs. 

Thats a great question! Ive seen the replacement tamiya brushes for sale but never the springs themselves. Ive replaced brushes on the superstock motors before and its a bit of fiddle to unlatch the spring while its under pressure and fortunately have never had them fire off to be lost in the carpet abyss for ever after. It would be a shame to have to write off an otherwise perfectly good motor for the sake of a tiny spring worth pence.

It might be worth emailing Tamiya directly or one of the bigger distributors of spares (Tamico / Tonys tamiya parts etc) to see if theyve ever come across a replacement set - even a part numbers a better starting point.

to be honest, spring tension will make virtually no difference if any at all on a gt sport motor, 

i would just buy a pair of medium and replace both.

these would be suitable https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202796522136?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=202796522136&targetid=1139674279667&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006964&poi=&campaignid=12125464319&mkgroupid=118098890058&rlsatarget=pla-1139674279667&abcId=9300481&merchantid=119055790&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsLWDBhCmARIsAPSL3_39peHW60wT0WDNCjUrN21Wt8QSz6mOvOiWsEetNCUo6oOiW-5600YaAlBMEALw_wcB

if you get stuck im sure i have lots of these springs kicking about in the loft from back in the day. pm me

Sorry,

just overread that you have the GT Tuned motor!

But acc. to Seidel these springs are also recommended for the following Tamiya motors, incl. the UGT-tuned at least:

Passend für folgende Tamiya Motoren:
- Acto-Power Off-Roader 2WD (53122)
- Super-Modified 11T (53485)
- Super Stock TZ (53696)
- Super Stock RZ (53697)
- Super Stock BZ (53930)
- CR-Tuned (35T) für CR-01 (54114)
- Formula-Tuned (32T) F104 (54176)
- UGT-Tuned 24T (54391)
- FL-Tuned 30T (54392)
- Acto-Power Off-Roader 2WD (7434006)
- TR Torque-Tuned 33T (56526)

But as said by the others here, you can use any springs of the similar design principle available by other companies. Just don´t go too hard and choose some soft or medium ones, so you won´t end up in excessive wear. These motors are some long distance runners with relatively hard brushes, that last longer and don´t stress the comm to much.

Kind regards,

Matthias

Just droping a word to this topic. Since I read some papers regarding brushed motors, I understood soft springs are also not really good because on high rev they start to bounce which will generate more sparks which will damage the comm faster.

Also with brushes, copper-brushes should be the nice way regarding power and reliability. Silver brushed are good for power but also not good for the durability of the comm.

carbon-brushes are pretty fast done (very soft).

So I would say soft/medium springs and any copper brushes, which fits the coal-slot is a good approach for good reliability and power.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for all your input.  Tons of great info.  I truly appreciate it.  I ended up ordering a set of brushes and springs off of Amazon.  see here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SOU3QUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are pretty similar looking to what I had on the motor and the kit was about $12 bucks.

Thanks for the offer Catman79... I appreciate it.

BTW - I just only now realize that I've made a newbie mistake and posted this in the wrong forum, I think I should've posted this in the Anything Electric forum page.  I will not object if this thread gets moved.

20 hours ago, Tamiya_Fan! said:

Thank you all so much for all your input.  Tons of great info.  I truly appreciate it.  I ended up ordering a set of brushes and springs off of Amazon.  see here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SOU3QUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are pretty similar looking to what I had on the motor and the kit was about $12 bucks.

Thanks for the offer Catman79... I appreciate it.

Sounds good.  But if you are serious about running that motor, you should really invest in a lathe.  That's the thing about high performance motors of 20+yrs ago.. they required A LOT of maintenance.  I still have a bunch of armatures, cans, a bag of brushes. springs, etc I bought  in Akihabara long long time ago.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Sounds good.  But if you are serious about running that motor, you should really invest in a lathe.  That's the thing about high performance motors of 20+yrs ago.. they required A LOT of maintenance.  I still have a bunch of armatures, cans, a bag of brushes. springs, etc I bought  in Akihabara long long time ago.

..and that's the thing about it all.  At which point do you start to realize that by optimizing springs, com smoothness.. bearings, balancing the armature and such that you approach the whole design advantage of brushless motors!

I enjoy the "feel" of a properly matched brushed motor, hearing the motor wind up to maximum rpm as the vehicle speeds away.. especially on vintage chassis designs.  Sometimes with brushless motors, its more like the feel of a power drill: instantly more torque than the chassis or gears can manage and the esc has to be programmed to reduce the violence down to levels that agree with it all.