whahooo

Sport Tuned Alternative?

Hello,

The Sport Tuned Motors are one of my facorite Motors.

But it is very expensive at the Moment and you can't get the black Cans anymore.

Is there a cheaper alternative Motor with similar Specs?

I want a carefree Motor around the same RPM and tourque.

I should be a suitable Motor for a Lancia 037

The old 4-hole silver can that came as standard with Kits in the 90's is pretty similar in spec to a sport tuned and they are practically free - people apparently throw them away. 

Maibuchi RS-540 - 7520 Specs:
Voltage: 4.8-7.2V
No load: 23400rpm/7.2V/2.4A 
Max efficiency: 19740rpm/7.2V/13A - 312g/cm torque
Shaft Size: 3.17mm
Shaft length: 12.5mm
Mounting holes: 25mm x 3M
Weight: 160g
Dimensions: 36 x 58mm

Sports tuned
Usable voltage 6.0-8.4V
Torque at best efficiency: 350 g / cm (7.2V)
Speed at best efficiency: 18300 rpm (7.2V)
Current flow at best efficiency: 12.0A (7.2V)

That sounds awesome.

I´ve made some bad decicions in the Past. The Absima Thrust 18t Motor is super weak and slow and i´m also not very happy with the Carson Cupmachine.

But i have some old Motors laying around, maybe i will post some pictures of them for recomentations.

My Goal is a good simple Motor without changeable brushes for a carefree but fun ride.

What's the issue with your Carson Cup Machines? I have a bunch of those (years of racing) spread out over several cars, and they seem to last a good while. The only thing they hate it heat. If you cook them they lose magnetism, but that's true for every motor. I like the built-in fan personally.

• Like 1

"That sounds awesome.

I´ve made some bad decicions in the Past. The Absima Thrust 18t Motor is super weak and slow and i´m also not very happy with the Carson Cupmachine.

But i have some old Motors laying around, maybe i will post some pictures of them for recomentations."

I bought a Absima BL motor and esc, will not buy anymore. The quality was nowhere near as good as HW for very similar cost.  Will stick with HW ,well first choice at least.

I think you're around £25 for a Sport tuned motor?

For £28, you can get a Core RC 15t and a 1060 esc to power it! 

3 hours ago, whahooo said:

But it is very expensive at the Moment and you can't get the black Cans anymore.

Tamico still sells black cans, but they are 34,99 euros. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

What's the issue with your Carson Cup Machines?

I don`t know anymore. I remember demount the motor after not beeing very pleased with it. Maybe i give it another try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

Check out Team Brood pathfinder series. 

They are black can, with ball bearings!! And inexpensive. Come in a wide variety of turns. I picked up a 16T for my sons outlaw rampage 

https://www.teambrood.com/Pathfinder-540-13

Those look very temting my friend! Do have some data, which r.p.m. such a 5 slot machine revs with 13t? Description sounds a bit like a crawler application? 

Thanks in advance, Matthias

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Mabuchi RS-540-7520

The comments suggest this is similar to a sport tuned.  Not bad for less than $5 USD.

Great bang for the buck! Do they maybe have a fan mounted inside like the Cup machine? Can´t spot it from the pic...

• Like 1

These come in various guises. Rebranded in several turn ratings and the build quality is decent. I’ve picked a few up for less than £10 in various turns.

goolRc etc.

6295AA4C-20C1-4425-A95D-09C8428D87B7.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Those look very temting my friend! Do have some data, which r.p.m. such a 5 slot machine revs with 13t? Description sounds a bit like a crawler application? 

Thanks in advance, Matthias

They are marketed for Crawlers and have thr fan built in. I’m unsure of RPM specs as well. The one I bought does give the outlaw good speed and runs cool as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lentner3 said:

These come in various guises. Rebranded in several turn ratings and the build quality is decent. I’ve picked a few up for less than £10 in various turns.

goolRc etc.

6295AA4C-20C1-4425-A95D-09C8428D87B7.png

I have about 8 of them 17, 21, 23, 27 & 55t. Branded as GoolRC, Austar and Surpass, and all are good with zero problems so far. I also bought extra brushes for these motors. They are very cheap, reliable and fast. All come with bearings too.

Great suggestions.

Do anyone has expieriences with that Maibuchi RS 540 7520?

I have learned that i shouldn't buy motors blind or trust the Datasheets.

The Absima Thrust cans that are not rebuidable are very bad Motors, also the Modelcraft Motors from Conrad are not good at all. I had a 23 or 21 Turn rebuidable Conradmotor that wasn't as good as a sport tuned Motor (that should be a timed 27t motor).

I've learned the best thing is to trust the expierience of TC Members.

Very interesting info in this thread!  I'm curious about the motors listed above just for the sake of comparison.. as I had a similar dilemma awhile back.  I removed all of my black can Sports Tuned motors and shelved them once I discovered that they have been discontinued.  I have replaced some with silver can Sports Tuned motors (Bullhead) but for the rest, I've opted to go with faster motors. 

I used a Kyosho 20T black can (removing the stickers for brand continuity on my Tamiya models) which then looks just like a Sport Tuned motor without the decal on my Blitzer Beetle which has a motor guard/bumper which covers most of the motor anyway.  https://rc.kyosho.com/en/70701c.html a bit quicker than a Sports Tuned but they seem out-of-stock everywhere.

The rest have been replaced with SuperStock RZ or BZ motors with bearings installed in place of bushings.  <<< by far the most rewarding brushed option in my opinion.  

I still use stock silver cans in my Agrios, but I am running them on 3s.  Plenty fast however I'm sure the lifespan will eventually suffer.  At which point, I have plenty of spare stock silver cans to drop in when they do give up the electric ghost.

• Like 1

What ESC are you using? If a TBLE-02S then why not a cheap sensored brushless motor? 17.5T should be comparable to a Sport Tuned, is more efficient and requires no maintenance.  The only disadvantage is it won't be waterproof like a brushed motor 

• Like 1

You ask why i still use brushd Motors?

Well i have a plain simple Answer for you: Because i`m totally ignorant :D

Something in me hates using new techonologies.

I like 2.4ghz Radios because they are simple to use and most of them are "failsafe".

i like to use ESC`s, but well they are "standard" since the 90s.

But i don`t like to use brushless systems (because i`m ignorant) and i like the brushed sound.

Also i do know all the advantages of lipos, but i do not understand electrics and are afraid of using lipos (all my cars are stored in a wooden cabin and the temperatures reach the freezingpoint in Winter). So i still use NiMhs because it is safer for me.

• Like 2

I've also had many motors in the past From Tamiya, Kyosho, Kawada, HPI, and other brands which I have already forgotten. I'm really surprised and impressed with these "China" brands as they are reliable and fast. First one I tried, I installed it in my CC-01. Austar 27t, used it for bashing since 2019 and this year I replaced it with a GoolRC 55t because the 27t was just too fast for trailing. Comparing it to a silver (I have 3 Mabuchi and a Jonson) can and a Tamiya Torque Tuned, the GoolRC 27t has definitely have more torque and speed. Also that same year, I installed a 21t GoolRC in one of my FF-03. Been using that since and another 21t in my LRP S10 rally car. I ordered another 21t that I installed in my XV-01 last year and another 55t to my CFX. Last February, I ordered a Surpass 23t for my Wild One. Also last year, I ordered another GoolRC 17t which I plan on using for the XV-01. All these motors installed have been performing more than I was expecting. I have not changed any of the brushes yet and they seem to last longer than usual every time I check them. I can seriously vouch for these motors for bashing or for racing.

wPWb22lh.jpg

sRMcGnVh.jpg

d9KreNTh.jpg

21t in the XV-01 - I covered the label with a carbon fiber decal

DQ14uYfh.jpg

Another 21t in the FF-03RR

Y3E2ycth.jpg

Also 21t in the LRP S10

WE6TZsuh.jpg

55t in the CFX

H4FVBjxh.jpg

55t in the CC-01

lA9eLGlh.jpg

Honestly, I lost interest on using any of the silver cans and the very slightly used Torque Tuned that I have. I'll probably just keep them for nostalgic purposes. But I still wish to get myself some classic motors than I owned in the past like the Dynatech 01R, Le Mans 240ST and 480T,  Acto-Power (pink),  Superstock Type-R and a few others.

I love my sport tuned and had them in most of my runners as i ran stock most of the time good fun with them.

till i found these 2 in 1 ESC with Brushless motors, love them - DualSky Silver RR 540 similar to sport tuned and Black RR 550 for trucks esp my 1/14 Man racing truck with runs pretty scale lifting the outer wheels on hard corners...

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=123121&id=9264

The DualSKy RR now - they don't make them anymore.

img9264_27042014061810_1_1100_.thumb.jpg.01edc9940976cc18d4a01b8f03443d98.jpg

The Orion.

ori28313.thumb.jpg.ef2e46908db6eeea0da09b1dd67fb3e2.jpg

hpi fuzion

116195_116195_01_800_600.jpg.0a062e1302af414178f4926115bee6c3.jpg

Dynamite Brushless Motor/ESC 2-in-1 Combo (6000Kv)

205397171_dyns0501(1).thumb.jpg.61793ac9ca9583326f8a5aa995abfc8f.jpg

19 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I have about 8 of them 17, 21, 23, 27 & 55t. Branded as GoolRC, Austar and Surpass, and all are good with zero problems so far. I also bought extra brushes for these motors. They are very cheap, reliable and fast. All come with bearings too.

Same here. Have several of them and all good. Often sold under different brands for anywhere up to 4x the price or even more. Recently had an argument with someone on facebook about it till I pointed out his Reedy Radon also had HG MOTOR - CHINA moulded into the end cap just like my £7 GoolRC. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replys. It is interresting to read your different suggestions.

Is the GoolRC 23t Motor similar to the Sporttuned or is the 21t "more similar" to it.

I would like to run the Stock ESC.