whahooo

Sport Tuned Alternative?

7 hours ago, whahooo said:

Thanks for all your replys. It is interresting to read your different suggestions.

Is the GoolRC 23t Motor similar to the Sporttuned or is the 21t "more similar" to it.

I would like to run the Stock ESC.

The GoolRC 23t is a lot faster than the Sport Tuned. It also uses bearings at both ends which the ST only uses bushings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

The GoolRC 23t is a lot faster than the Sport Tuned. It also uses bearings at both ends which the ST only uses bushings.

Do you have a Tamiya Super Stock RZ, TZ or BZ to compare the GoolRC with? I find the Sport Tuned, Torque Tuned and Silvercan to be pretty similar to each other but the Super Stock are far better, surprisingly fast for a brushed motor.

I ordered 3 23t goolrc Motors.

Maybe i can install a Super Stock in my Blazing Star and the goolrc in the Dirt Thrasher.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:58 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

Mabuchi RS-540-7520

The comments suggest this is similar to a sport tuned.  Not bad for less than $5 USD.

Have you tried these motors?  I've just had a second kit motor give up which means I'm probably in for about 6 new motors over the next year as all the others fail too.  At least they are worn out which means the cars are getting used.  I was amazed how much faster a brand new torque tuned is compared to an old one when I replaced it.  I don't want any more speed, I could use old brushless motors but you can't gear for them, so if these are decent quality then they would be perfect.

ive gone ahead and ordered a DYN1172 Dynamite 15-Turn Brushed Motor for a Manta Build. it ended up being a bit cheaper to a sport tuned 540 with some voucher. i can still try a RS540 but this is one motor i can get locally if order online. the price difference isnt much. not sure of its comparison to a sport tuned 540 though im willing to give it a shot to see if it can get close to the speed the 12T motor my 2wd slash has. not exactly sure which gear set would make a good match for it. i'll be running NIMH with this one.

dynamite 1172 15t brushed..png

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have you tried these motors?  I've just had a second kit motor give up which means I'm probably in for about 6 new motors over the next year as all the others fail too.  At least they are worn out which means the cars are getting used.  I was amazed how much faster a brand new torque tuned is compared to an old one when I replaced it.  I don't want any more speed, I could use old brushless motors but you can't gear for them, so if these are decent quality then they would be perfect.

Try it.

It would be awesome to read a tested opinion about these Motors

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whahooo said:

Try it.

It would be awesome to read a tested opinion about these Motors

I will order soon. Its just whether I buy 1 to try or 6 in anticipation of needing them over the next year.

I think Hobbyking only sell genuine stuff so they should be fine and basically the same as what comes ina Tamiya kit, but they may have specced them to be cheaper than the kit motor

Off the back of this i bought a 7520 and installed it in my TT01E Iconic stock spec racer. It was super easy to file a flat on the shaft, and i ran it in in a glass of water at low revs for 5 mins. I then raced a full 4 heat race and it seems great. Pretty much held its own against the Team Powers Cup motors the other racers use. For £3.50 seems a no brainer for a nice runner motor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Off the back of this i bought a 7520 and installed it in my TT01E Iconic stock spec racer. It was super easy to file a flat on the shaft, and i ran it in in a glass of water at low revs for 5 mins. I then raced a full 4 heat race and it seems great. Pretty much held its own against the Team Powers Cup motors the other racers use. For £3.50 seems a no brainer for a nice runner motor

Thats great to hear, I still haven't got around to ordering any, but I need 1 now and expect to need a few more.  My original kit motors are all wearing out, 3 have gone so far.

How long is the shaft?  A normal kit motor or sport tuned won't fit in a Super Astute as the shaft is too short, be good to swap a silvercan into that so it can be run more often, its too fast with a Super Stock.

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thats great to hear, I still haven't got around to ordering any, but I need 1 now and expect to need a few more.  My original kit motors are all wearing out, 3 have gone so far.

How long is the shaft?  A normal kit motor or sport tuned won't fit in a Super Astute as the shaft is too short, be good to swap a silvercan into that so it can be run more often, its too fast with a Super Stock.

Medium length. Its longer than a Cup motor, byt they seem very short. 

• Like 1