So, looking through my bits and spares, I've noticed a lot of parts for the TL-01/B and I've never actually built one. That being said, only thing I'm missing is the actual chassis. Well, I've gotten it into my head to "Why not just build one then?" I have a preference for buggies, so I was thinking of doing a Baja King. BUT! Why not do the best one? Lightweight Chassis? Carbon shafts? Brushless? who's got some ideas for this? I know the TL-01 hasn't been Re-re'ed yet, but its' not a current model, so I thought this would be appropriate here........................... 

Edited by Trowa Jakuard
Spelling

I rebuilt a tl01 touring car last year and found most of the chassis parts were readily available new as spares but hop ups for it seem to be a bit thin on the ground (the speed tuned gears were ok)

The TL-01 is a basic design but it's robust and was a fun basher in its day.  If you like running buggies and aren't expecting B44 levels of handling then you'll have fun with it.

A slight downside to the TL-01B design is that the arms mount directly to the chassis, so if you have a big impact you could break the chassis and have to do a full strip and rebuild.  That said, I've been running TL-family cars for years (admittedly never a TL-01B) and have never broken a suspension mount.  I think the chassis are still fairly easy to find, so that's great if you can get one.  I don't know about lightweight variants.

Hop-up wise, the TL-family covered various cars, and lots of stuff is interchangeable.  Front and rear bumper mounts for example are the same on M-03, M-04, FF-02, TL-01, TL-01B, WT-01 and WR-01 and possibly G6-01 and GF-01 too (I'm pretty sure I have a TL-01 front bumper on my G6-01 because I don't like the big springy thingy).  There are other shared parts on GF-01, G6-01 and WR-02.  If you find a hop-up that works on one of those current chassis, it might work on the TL (e.g. GF-01 caster hubs).

Above all, have fun - it's a good cheap chassis and should provide some guilt-free thrills :) 

Sounds like a great idea! A couple of years back I got it into my head that I needed a TL-01B in my fleet too, and it was an enjoyable build that produced a decent runner. One thing to bear in mind though is that the lightweight chassis is not as strong as the standard one, so might be considered a hop-down rather than a hop-up for an offroader.

A previous thread on this topic raised the question of bodyshells...

There are some good options, just not the originals.

The standard chassis is still available and is very cheap. The lightweight chassis is difficult to find and easy to break so not a good choice for a buggy. Other specific parts still available are suspension pins, speed tuned gears, suspension parts, etc. So why not? I still enjoy my TL01 Touring Car chassis.

I'm sitting here, looking and thinking about the TL-01, and just had a thought.............. Does the DT-02/03 ball diff fit the TL-01? the stock diff on those looks like it's the same one. Has anyone looked at doing that swap? @Mad Ax @TurnipJF

That's not something I've ever tried - TBH for how I've used my TL-chassis cars, a bit of putty has been enough to stiffen up the diffs.

19 hours ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

I'm sitting here, looking and thinking about the TL-01, and just had a thought.............. Does the DT-02/03 ball diff fit the TL-01? the stock diff on those looks like it's the same one. Has anyone looked at doing that swap? @Mad Ax @TurnipJF

It has a larger circumference than the TL-01 diff, so won't fit I'm afraid. 

On 4/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Trowa Jakuard said:

The DT02 diff doesn't, but the TA02/03 ball diffs drop right in. I once bought someone's retired club racer TL01, and it had TA03 ball diffs at both ends.

So, got her mostly done now for that actual chassis. Now I've just gotta get a shell all painted up and she's done~

20210508_192934.jpg

• Like 1

I'm probably gonna redo the ESC and receiver locations at some point and drop them into the lower part of the tunnel.

Moving the receiver into the lower part isn't a bad idea, as long as you keep the bind button or plug socket accessible via the opening in the side of the chassis. Leaving the ESC up top is better for cooling. Mine thermalled when I tried it down below.

It's got a TBLE-02s with the fan on it, so I was thinking dropping it down under that lip on the right side, and mounting the receiver onto that ledge