monark192

TG10 Mk1 Re Assembly

After the success getting my TGS back on the road and enjoying dipping a toe into the black art of tuning these cars, it was time to start project #2.  If the TGS was a rehab, this is a re-assembly. It arrived in bite size bits in a small box so I disassembled everything and ran it through my parts washer.  Basic reassembly was straightforward until I get to the engine.  It came with a new in box HPI Nitro Star Pro 12R XS - which has a rear exhaust. After being distracted by the shiny purple heatsink for a bit, I noticed the clearance is a little tight for the exhaust which leads me to my two questions for you smart people.

1. Is it possible to use a rear exhaust motor on a Tg10 Mk1?

2. What motor can I buy today (in the USA) that would fit? Bonus points for links :)

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

IMG_5987.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

The master plan is to use the 2 speed transmission from the parts car that showed up a little while after the first chassis.  Can't have just one TG10 right?

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

That rear exhaust does look too tight, there are 180 degree manifolds that are quite small but I dont think you would be able to fit one in there, plus by the time youve bought a couple to test with, your picking away at your new engine money :)

Maybe sell this new engine and then keep a look out for an original Tamiya? 

I used an engine from a TNS project car (waiting for gaskets to arrive to see if it will run) and have installed the 2 speed transmission. Wheels from Ebay and I need to adjust the body to move it forward a little, but happy with the progress so far.

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG