B.RAD

My fourth Tamiya Build - brushless Neo Fighter! Now DT03 Stadium Truck development project!!

On 4/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, B.RAD said:

Just a quick update to say I found a set of DF03 springs on eBay for a decent price, so they've been purchased. I'm also going to buy the same EZRUN motor in 3300kv flavour to tone down the bonkers a bit. 

Having absorbed Cy's brilliant thread, I'm also going to add some Schumacher truck tyres to my order to go on some Aqroshot rims. Should be getting close to sorted once all that arrives! 🤞

Don’t forget that you’ll need the longer front axles....

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:09 AM, B.RAD said:

Thanks, I've searched high and low for that proline body but it's out of production sadly 😔 Seems the only site that consistently provides the width and wheelbase dimensions, and nothing else on there is in the right ballpark. I guess the Aqroshot shell is then the next best choice? Is it the TL01 E parts tree that I need?

If you still need body posts I have a spare set. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matisse said:

Don’t forget that you’ll need the longer front axles....

Thanks, I'll probably just use them on the rear though, that should be ok shouldn't it?

Just now, B.RAD said:

Thanks, I'll probably just use them on the rear though, that should be ok shouldn't it?

It’ll be interesting!

Just now, matisse said:

If you still need body posts I have a spare set. 

Yes please!! I'll PM you.

• Like 1

@matisse I've just seen on your Aqroshot thread ( https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94047-aqroshot-to-the-heart/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-860808 ) that we made the same tyre choice! I found them excellent yesterday, loads of grip, a bit of drift when needed but generally very predictable. Did you drill holes in your wheels, and did you use any tyre foams? 

17 minutes ago, B.RAD said:

@matisse I've just seen on your Aqroshot thread ( https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94047-aqroshot-to-the-heart/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-860808 ) that we made the same tyre choice! I found them excellent yesterday, loads of grip, a bit of drift when needed but generally very predictable. Did you drill holes in your wheels, and did you use any tyre foams? 

Currently have soft white foams in front and rear, but probs gonna pick up some harder grey foams for the front.

Can’t remember if I drilled holes or not, I’ll have to check.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matisse said:

It’ll be interesting!

I've just realised what you meant - I already have the longer front axles on from my mad bull, as per earlier in the thread ☺️

Ok now I want some of those blitzer beetle wheels for my racing fighter... the orange wheels would match well with the orange body ...:D

And I bought one of those hobbywing motor & esc combo’s you mentioned with the 4000kv motor. Bought my first ever Lipo as well :rolleyes:

All arrived yesterday so we fitted it to my sons haiboxing rocket buggy this morning (esc had gone on it so why not lol)

HOLY S*** it’s fast !!  Lives up to its name now, sooo much fun, we were both giggling like ten year olds driving it.

(It also now has bald tyres, a shattered ring wing and a broken front shock mount lol)

Might get the next one down in kv for my dual ridge......

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SuperJoeUK said:

Ok now I want some of those blitzer beetle wheels for my racing fighter... the orange wheels would match well with the orange body ...:D

Go for it! I got my set off eBay for a really good price. They are great looking wheels, and I love the look of the buggy with them on. Just realised I haven't taken any photos of it with the body on yet, will have to resolve that soon! I'd probably get the vee4's all round if I were buying again, they offer loads of grip but also just enough slip to be fun. The fronts I bought are just a touch too grippy.

27 minutes ago, SuperJoeUK said:

HOLY S*** it’s fast !!  Lives up to its name now, sooo much fun, we were both giggling like ten year olds driving it.

Ha ha! Yep, told you it was fast! 🤣 I can't honestly explain just how ridiculously quick that motor is on here, you have to see it to believe it. The 3300kv is still very, very fast, and on our garden circuit I'm still not getting near full throttle, so definitely recommend getting that motor too. I'd suggest buying the combo again, as it's a significant saving over the motor and ESC separately, and if you ever want to put the 4000kv motor in something else it's worth having the paired ESC. 

Oh and one other thing to mention, I bought the Hobbywing programming card for the ESC and turned the punch down to level 1. It comes on level 3 as standard and it's just too much! Level 1 makes it driveable ☺️

Yes, but you might want to look at the truck tyres, which have bigger sidewalls. Depends on what you're looking to achieve!

11 hours ago, B.RAD said:

Yes, but you might want to look at the truck tyres, which have bigger sidewalls. Depends on what you're looking to achieve!

Ah ok thanks, I did think the tyres I linked looked a little thin :blink:

So something like this..

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-stagger-rib-yellow-truck-tyres-pr-/rc-car-products/369923

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-mini-spike-blue-truck-tyres-pr-/rc-car-products/2289

The Blitzer Beetle wheels are different widths front and back (I think), will something like the above fit both ?

(Sorry always just gone with stock replacement tyres until now lol)

2 hours ago, SuperJoeUK said:

Ah ok thanks, I did think the tyres I linked looked a little thin :blink:

So something like this..

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-stagger-rib-yellow-truck-tyres-pr-/rc-car-products/369923

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-mini-spike-blue-truck-tyres-pr-/rc-car-products/2289

The Blitzer Beetle wheels are different widths front and back (I think), will something like the above fit both ?

(Sorry always just gone with stock replacement tyres until now lol)

I didn't notice any difference in wheel width when I installed them, but the tyres fit perfectly. As long as they're 2.2 truck tyres, they'll work just fine 👍 I have the same stagger rib yellow compound tyres you've linked to above, depending on your terrain you might find them too grippy. I think gravel and sand they'd be good, but grass they're a bit much. Not awful, but they have induced more grip roll. I have the vee4 on the rear and they're perfect, I'd get four of those all round if I were buying again!

On 5/4/2021 at 10:53 AM, SuperJoeUK said:

Hi bud, just to confirm the Blitzer Beetle wheels are different widths, the fronts are narrower than the backs. About 5mm or so. Doesn't affect tyre fitment at all.

In other news, I've just bought some Schumacher soft foam inserts, and am going to drill a small hole in the wheels to stop the tyres from pinching in. The tyres do pop off the rims a fair bit (consequence of the fast motor and high grip on grass), easily fixed by gluing the tyres on, but I don't want to do this as I may want to change tyres again in the future and I don't want to have to keep buying wheels. I'm hopefully the foams will help this a bit, if not, I'll just put up with the occasional tyre refit 😊

My body post kit has arrived now (thanks @matisse!) and a spare body has arrived, so I'll have a play with that later too.

Wheels and tyres back on with foams in and a small hole in each wheel. Feel is much, much better now. Tyres hold their shape better and return to shape too. Keen to get a run in.

The body fits! Only just, the wheelbase is on the short side, but it's passable. Looks pretty cool to me...

PXL_20210507_095234322_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.1775e3d6eb3963f9e93dbb1e77d53a8e.jpg

I think the title of this thread should be updated now really, any suggestions??

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mastino said:

This Is my brushless racing fighter BE 

spacer.png

:P

Very cool!! That looks wicked. Those tyres would probably be better for grass running too. Love it!

@mastino How do you get those front wheels to fit?  Are they not hex fitment wheels and the RF/Aqroshot front is bearing fit without hexes?

2 hours ago, B.RAD said:

Wheels and tyres back on with foams in and a small hole in each wheel. Feel is much, much better now. Tyres hold their shape better and return to shape too. Keen to get a run in.

The body fits! Only just, the wheelbase is on the short side, but it's passable. Looks pretty cool to me...

PXL_20210507_095234322_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.1775e3d6eb3963f9e93dbb1e77d53a8e.jpg

I think the title of this thread should be updated now really, any suggestions??

DT03 conversion  to Stadium truck all rounder 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mtbtomo said:

@mastino How do you get those front wheels to fit?  Are they not hex fitment wheels and the RF/Aqroshot front is bearing fit without hexes?

I used GPM hexes (for DT02/03) on F104 carbon reinforced upright with minor modifications, removing about 1 mm as in picture (bad work done with a modeling knife). The central hole in the rim has also been slightly enlarged.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mastino said:

I used GPM hexes (for DT02/03) on F104 carbon reinforced upright with minor modifications, removing about 1 mm as in picture (bad work done with a modeling knife). The central hole in the rim has also been slightly enlarged.

spacer.png

spacer.png

ohhhhh, this is excellent.

4 hours ago, mastino said:

This Is my brushless racing fighter BE 

spacer.png

:P

How’s it look under the body?

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

How’s it look under the body?

spacer.png

Skyrc cheetah 10.5 sensored, lipo 2S, ball diff.

• Like 1