Jump to content
B.RAD

My fourth Tamiya Build - brushless Neo Fighter! Now DT03 Stadium Truck development project!!

Recommended Posts

Glad you like it. They are a fun buggy. More weight up front will help for sure, but on a loose surface like that better front tyres are the key. Some spikes or blocks on the front will really help. If gravel like that is your usual thing, i found Schumacher CAT Block fronts were good on my DT03 on that stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Glad you like it. They are a fun buggy. More weight up front will help for sure, but on a loose surface like that better front tyres are the key. Some spikes or blocks on the front will really help. If gravel like that is your usual thing, i found Schumacher CAT Block fronts were good on my DT03 on that stuff. 

So much fun!! Really impressed, it was a bargain but goes like a rocket!

Ok great, I'll go for another 20g and it just so happens I have another set of DT03 wheels that have some Schumacher block tyres on, so I'll give those a try 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there such a thing as a wider rear wheel and tyre for extra grip at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say Schumacher CAT Block fronts 

they seem to be lots of options, blue, yellow, full spike, etc. 
which ones do you recommend? 
I guess a matching set front and rear?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bunty said:

When you say Schumacher CAT Block fronts 

they seem to be lots of options, blue, yellow, full spike, etc. 
which ones do you recommend? 
I guess a matching set front and rear?

 

Go for yellow. U6787. No need for matching front a rear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that’s brill thanks, 

what would you say is a good choice for the rear? Don’t know if there is such a thing as an all round grippy tyre? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bunty said:

Oh that’s brill thanks, 

what would you say is a good choice for the rear? Don’t know if there is such a thing as an all round grippy tyre? 

No such thing. For loose or grass you need big spikes or blocks, but they wear out super fast on hard surfaces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not think so! I guess a few sets of wheels are in order 👍

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run on grass so i got some spike rears and some schumacher Rt3 Street tyres on some other wheels for hard surfaces. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the rib/spike combo front tyres any good? They look like they could be an ideal choice for grass and sand/dirt running, but are they the sort of compromise that ends up being not very good at anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B.RAD said:

Are the rib/spike combo front tyres any good? They look like they could be an ideal choice for grass and sand/dirt running, but are they the sort of compromise that ends up being not very good at anything?

Never tried them, but i think they look pretty good for loose gravel or grass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some Tamiya block rears and Schumacher cut stagger fronts on another buggy so I swapped them over and took the Neo over to the sandy forest with @Bunty and some others. I think the front tyres have helped a lot, but overall the buggy was just too fast, and too low, to make good use of the terrain. My Stampede is ideal for there, so a bit too far off in ride height I think!! 😄 

When I say too fast, I really do mean that. It's utterly insane how quick this goes!! I think I might transfer the ESC and motor over to the Stampede and get something a bit tamer for the Neo. It deserves brushless, but this is just too potent.  Either that, or I change our running location for something more suitable!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not surprised you are finding it a handful with that motor. I have a 4000kv in mine with truck wheels and a hobbywing 10bl120 esc and even with no timing on the esc it's anti-socially fast. When i first got my DT03 i ran a 13.5 / 3300kv motor and that seemed to be the sweet spot for me. Fast enough to be interesting, but not ridiculous. Something in the 3000-3300 range would be good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I am not surprised you are finding it a handful with that motor. I have a 4000kv in mine with truck wheels and a hobbywing 10bl120 esc and even with no timing on the esc it's anti-socially fast. When i first got my DT03 i ran a 13.5 / 3300kv motor and that seemed to be the sweet spot for me. Fast enough to be interesting, but not ridiculous. Something in the 3000-3300 range would be good. 

Yep, as usual you are spot on!! It's just bonkers fast. Totally uncontrollable.

It's interesting you mention truck wheels, I had a little epiphany this morning and 5 mins in the garage ended up with this...PXL_20210419_091102314_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.dc294d8e335bd8be13c3f91f3aaf5043.jpg

The Mad Fighter!! Or Neo Bull... 🤔 That doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

Popped the steering joints and wheels on from my Mad Bull. It's brilliant! Somehow steers better, and has lost none of it's insanely fast speed. More ground clearance and more suspension in the tyres will make it even better at the sandy forest too. I may have to invest in some of the studded tyres to get better grip though, I recall these ones being pretty awful!  Great fun on grass though, it'll do donuts and drifts with ease 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the Mad Bull Fighter would be a better name?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the wide front tyres really helped mine too.

Grasshopper3 in truggy mode

You really need to get the 17t pinion if you're running wheels that big. You'll cook the motor running a 19t with big wheels on grass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I found the wide front tyres really helped mine too.

Grasshopper3 in truggy mode

You really need to get the 17t pinion if you're running wheels that big. You'll cook the motor running a 19t with big wheels on grass.

That's very cool! Love the body and colour scheme. 

Thanks for the info on the pinion sizing as well. It'll be a mix of grass and sandy forest running, mainly at the forest to be honest. I'll try it like this and see how it goes. I have the temperature monitor attached to the motor so hopefully that'll warn me if there's any issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some small changes to the Bull Fighter. Got the 51000 hi torque servo saver fitted thanks to advice from @ThunderDragonCy's awesome thread. No idea what it does, but keen to try it!

Also moved the rear shocks to the inner mounting position and put another 15g of weight on the nose, so now at 45g total. Can't wait for the next run! I'm going to try back to back runs in Bull Fighter mode and then back on to it's buggy wheels in Neo mode, just to see what the comparison is like. I think for the forest the Bull wheels are a no brainer, but in the garden the buggy wheels might be the winners... Either way, can't wait to try and find out! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut the rear wing - it was all torn and bent and was fouling on the rear wheels. Really love the way it looks on the Mad Bull wheels!

PXL_20210422_131346855_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.bbf6df5f8687488c409117cda5955e5c.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished building this, has a13t trackstar brushless with 19 tooth steel pinion, you given me an idea to borrow the wheels from my sons madbull for a while 😁

36E425EB-AD5F-4140-9E7B-6D13396C00F0.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I got hold of a damper parts bag 9400414, the hard springs and oil from that seem to be perfect on the rear. 

Going to get some of those weights you mention for the front as even with the soft oil and soft springs from the kit, the front end suspension does not seem to compress at all on a drop test.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperJoeUK said:

Just finished building this, has a13t trackstar brushless with 19 tooth steel pinion, you given me an idea to borrow the wheels from my sons madbull for a while 😁

36E425EB-AD5F-4140-9E7B-6D13396C00F0.jpeg

Go for it! It's brilliant fun that way. The tyres in the Mad Bull kit are really bad though, no grip at all!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, B.RAD said:

Help needed please folks. Have a watch of these videos. Pretty sure the suspension shouldn't be behaving this way...? What's going on here please?

https://youtu.be/SDfm8DuBcrI

https://youtube.com/shorts/Wgr7FKW_q1A?feature=share

 

Well more experienced / smarter people will probably have a better idea, but it looks to me as if the springs are too soft to push the car back up.  

Or you could have bent the pins in the suspension arms so there is some resistance. You could test that by taking wheels and shocks off and see if the arms move freely ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...