davidwj95

Turning a CR01 into a monster truck

On 4/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, Badcrumble said:

Looking forward to seeing your progress @davidwj95. What battery will you be using? If 3S I don't know that you need anything more than the silver can as mine fairly zipped around the back garden with the throttle pinned. But then none of my cars have anything faster than a Sport Tuned so maybe I'm not the best judge :D

I'm still using nimh batteries at the moment.  I use cheap 3300kv brushless systems in my quicker cars so I might try one of these in it if I find myself wanting more speed. I will eventually go over to lipo but for now nimhs are fine for driving round the back garden. 

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of time looking for suitable tires and I'm not convinced the mud thrashers will fit nicely on the Midwest wheels so I've splashed out and ordered some renegade jrs.  Also ordered a blackfoot body kit and a pair of servos.  Some of the items are on back order so I may not make much progress for a while. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, davidwj95 said:

I've spent a lot of time looking for suitable tires and I'm not convinced the mud thrashers will fit nicely on the Midwest wheels so I've splashed out and ordered some renegade jrs.  Also ordered a blackfoot body kit and a pair of servos.  Some of the items are on back order so I may not make much progress for a while. 

Renegade Jr's are a cool tire.  My dad just put a set on an SMT and they look great.  Very grippy as well :)  

• Like 1

My CR-01 got its solid horns installed, both bumpers fitted and the SMT10 wheels bolted on.

DSC_2876.jpg

Lots of fun in the back garden on 3S. Jumps very flat (as far as I can tell) and donuts are great with rear wheel steering!

Temporary moniker of 'No Lidded', still needs a body...

• Like 5

I'm regretting selling my CR01 now.

Must. Resist. Buying. Another. ;)

• Haha 1

If you can find a cheap one @GeeWings...

Screenshot_20220619-1654352.png

My soon-to-be 8 year old loves it, I barely got a go. 

Standard silver can and 3S. I really ought to take the motor out and change the pinion. It is probably the original ali one :ph34r:

• Like 4

It's OK. As a way of ensuring I don't spend money on a CR01 I have bought yet another GF01 :o:blink:

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 7:56 AM, Badcrumble said:

If you can find a cheap one @GeeWings...

Screenshot_20220619-1654352.png

My soon-to-be 8 year old loves it, I barely got a go. 

Standard silver can and 3S. I really ought to take the motor out and change the pinion. It is probably the original ali one :ph34r:

Vids please! Looks awesome.

6 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I've never worked out how to post video @smirk-racing. Will have to look into it...

I think most folks post on YouTube and just drop the link here. The tricker part is shooting a vid while driving (assuming you don't have a helper). 

• Thanks 1

I finally started work on this project today.

Servos fitted front and rear with kimbrough servo savers and home made thicker steering rods.

Old radio gear removed 

Body posts removed 

Diffs unlocked

I'm waiting for the new motor to arrive then I will fit that (torque tuned with 25t pinion)

I might swap battery holder and radio tray round so weight is at the back.  

Once that is all done I will try to figure out a way to fit the blackfoot body I have for it.

Does anyone know if I can just use a Y lead on the servos so they will both work off one channel? 

20220709_215415.jpg

20220709_215528.jpg

• Like 2

Sure, you can use a Y-lead for 4WS.  Better to add it to a separate channel on your radio/receiver, but a Y harness will work.

• Thanks 1

I've made a bit more progress.  The wheels didn't fit as there wasn't enough thread for the wheel nuts.  I had to get some TG10 long wheel axles.

Next job is cut the body posts down and paint the shell. Not sure whether to go standard box art blackfoot or metallic blue. 

20220721_225849.jpg

20220721_225903.jpg

• Like 7

Looks great with the BF body and Renegades, nice job.  I think box art would be cool.  

• Like 1

I just painted a BF extreme shell metallic blue. I highly recommend that color…

• Like 1

I finally got round to finishing the body.  I think the next thing I want to change is the suspension to a more conventional set up.

If anyone has any tips or can recommend any shock absorbers please let me know.

20221207_180642.jpg

20221207_180656.jpg

20221207_180708.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Looking great @davidwj95. I have Proline Powerstrokes on mine but I can't remember the length off-hand.

The powerstrokes look really nice but they are out of my price range.  I might have to go for some fastrax or one of the other budget brands.  How does yours handle with that suspension setup? 

1 hour ago, davidwj95 said:

The powerstrokes look really nice but they are out of my price range.  I might have to go for some fastrax or one of the other budget brands.  How does yours handle with that suspension setup? 

TBH, I'm not qualified to say whether it handles well or not, I just gave it a blast in the back garden - and had a blast! I wasn't used to handling anything on 3S (other than our proper little trail truck) and hadn't tried the stock CR-01 before I swapped the suspension over so had no frame of reference (oops). Lots of torque twist putting a lot of power down from standstill (lifting a front corner) with a fair bit of roll in the bends. Take a turn too fast and it would flip. You can see an 'action' shot a few posts above.

I was able to get to a point where I could control it well enough to get it in line with our small ramp and it jumped pretty flat. Donuts were best at about 3/4 throttle, keeping an eye on the inner wheel lifting.

In the Spring it will get a body and hopefully some back to back running with our other trucks, maybe even some small obstacles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been a while since I did anything to this truck so decided have a look at converting the suspension.  I bought some second hand Traxxas shocks off ebay and had a go at making some chassis mounts.  I ran out of screws so this is as far as I can get until some more get delivered.  I've not got a clue how well it'll work but hopefully it will reduce the axle twist a bit.

20230925_213851.jpg

• Like 2

Nicely done! I love all the various holes on the chassis, definitely lends itself to all kinds of wild stuff as far as mods go. 

If you can "V" the shocks a bit, it really helps. The chassis is so wide it's a bit tricky to get the lowers mounted out further than the uppers. At one time I used an L-bracket and made lower mounts using the 2 leftover holes next to the servo bridge on the axle. It seemed to work very well. Alas, the truck has long been sold and photobucket ate the pics. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Nicely done! I love all the various holes on the chassis, definitely lends itself to all kinds of wild stuff as far as mods go. 

If you can "V" the shocks a bit, it really helps. The chassis is so wide it's a bit tricky to get the lowers mounted out further than the uppers. At one time I used an L-bracket and made lower mounts using the 2 leftover holes next to the servo bridge on the axle. It seemed to work very well. Alas, the truck has long been sold and photobucket ate the pics. 

Thanks for the tip.  I bought a load of nylon spacers of different lengths so I can try offsetting the lower mounts a bit more. Any idea how much further out the lowers should be?  A few mm should be manageable but like you say the chassis is really wide which doesn't help.