Project GT

TT02 build/upgrades for Iconic RC series in the U.K.

I am wishing to enter the 2021 Iconic RC series in the U.K.

Whilst I have read the rules and have a fairly standard TT02, I would like to know if any of the model shops who sponsor this forum or who are close to this series and could give me a good steer on the best parts to purchase that will enable me to be competitive. E.g. motors, rules state 13.5t but what is the best bet here etc

I have been out of the hobby since 1996 when I raced competitively in the Tamiya Eurocup series, so some advice on Motors, ESCs and transponders would be so helpful.

What I want to avoid is turning up to a race day with a car that is illegal or is way out paced because I have (innocently) selected the wrong components.

Thanks,

David

Hi David. First thing is that unfortunately the TT02 isn't eligable for the Iconic series. The nearest thing is a TT01E. As you are looking at the 13.5 motor rules that is the top GT class, where you would be up against vintage full race cars like TRF415 and the like, against which something like the TT02 would have no chance, even if it were allowed. 

I have just built myself a Stock Class (lowest level cheapest) TT01E, so i would suggest looking at this or maybe the next class up Super Stock which allows more hop ups. Here's the full rules

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2360584570843689/permalink/2915966311972176/?sfnsn=scwspmo

You use a Team Powers V3 motor and i would suggest a Hobbywing 1060 ESC. These two will run you about £35. For Stock you need a TT01E, a metal motor mount, the TT01 high speed gearset, a 25t 0.6mod pinion from RW Racing, full bearings, an alloy prop shaft, some 18mm turnbuckles, ball screws and 5mm adjusters for the steering arms, a hi torque servo saver and some good shock. If you are on a budget i would suggest getting the Tamiya CVA Super Mini Shock set, build with an o ring inside each, and get the TRF 53573 pistons and the 42168 short spring set. If you have time for delivery, get the 55mm yeah racing shock gear alloy shocks from a far east vendor. 

You'll need full racing tyres. I woukd suggest getting the Sweep BRCA 34 tyres and run them on the front. Get hold of some 32 or 28 of some brand  for the rear. Make sure they are for asphaly not carpet. The TT01E is really wayward at the back and the best way to tame it is to stagger the tyres. 

I would also check availability of entries. I know the first two Iconic Cup rounds are full already. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You'll need full racing tyres. I woukd suggest getting the Sweep BRCA 34 tyres and run them on the front. Get hold of some 32 or 28 of some brand  for the rear. Make sure they are for asphaly not carpet. The TT01E is really wayward at the back and the best way to tame it is to stagger the tyres. 

This is one of the things I don't like about the iconic cup vs. the original eurocup - unlimited tyre choice just prices me out of the game. Without a selection of tyre compounds for the often changing conditions throughout the day, your chances of keeping up with the leaders are reduced.

Eurocup stock class, by contrast, was kit tyres only. 

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Hi David. First thing is that unfortunately the TT02 isn't eligable for the Iconic series. The nearest thing is a TT01E. As you are looking at the 13.5 motor rules that is the top GT class, where you would be up against vintage full race cars like TRF415 and the like, against which something like the TT02 would have no chance, even if it were allowed. 

I have just built myself a Stock Class (lowest level cheapest) TT01E, so i would suggest looking at this or maybe the next class up Super Stock which allows more hop ups. Here's the full rules

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2360584570843689/permalink/2915966311972176/?sfnsn=scwspmo

You use a Team Powers V3 motor and i would suggest a Hobbywing 1060 ESC. These two will run you about £35. For Stock you need a TT01E, a metal motor mount, the TT01 high speed gearset, a 25t 0.6mod pinion from RW Racing, full bearings, an alloy prop shaft, some 18mm turnbuckles, ball screws and 5mm adjusters for the steering arms, a hi torque servo saver and some good shock. If you are on a budget i would suggest getting the Tamiya CVA Super Mini Shock set, build with an o ring inside each, and get the TRF 53573 pistons and the 42168 short spring set. If you have time for delivery, get the 55mm yeah racing shock gear alloy shocks from a far east vendor. 

I would also check availability of entries. I know the first two Iconic Cup rounds are full already. 

Great advice right there! Thank you.

I noticed the Iconic RC rules did not mention the TT02 but thought that given the TT01 is EOL and almost every other chassis is listed, I thought that it was an omission in the rules. It does seem odd to me that the TT02 chassis is not permitted given the TT01 is not manufactured anymore.

I’ll get a TT01E ordered and the hop ups you mention. It looks as though the only kit in stock in the U.K. is the Merc 190 so that’s what it’ll be!

Transponders - I’m looking at a MyLaps RC4 Pro, I assume this is ok? Back in my day these were made available by race control.

1 hour ago, Project GT said:

It does seem odd to me that the TT02 chassis is not permitted given the TT01 is not manufactured anymore.

The TT-01 is manufactured still, under the 'E' variant. 

The point of this series is that it is supposed to be for 'iconic' (read 'old') cars, so there's no TA-05, 6, 7, etc., no FF-03, 4, no TT-02, no M-05, 6, 7, 8, and so on for the other chassis types. 

I use an AMBrc personal transponder that I've had since the early 2000's and works with the timing gear they use at iconic races. I'm not sure what else is available these days. 

5 hours ago, rich_f said:

This is one of the things I don't like about the iconic cup vs. the original eurocup - unlimited tyre choice just prices me out of the game. Without a selection of tyre compounds for the often changing conditions throughout the day, your chances of keeping up with the leaders are reduced.

Eurocup stock class, by contrast, was kit tyres only. 

To be fair, once i had my main setup dialed in (34 front, 32 rear) if the weather was 10 deg or warmer the only extra set of tyres you would need would be wets.