Wooster

ESC with a mind of its own!

Has anyone experienced an ESC unexpectedly switching between forward and reverse? I’ve got an MTroniks Autosport 20 turn ESC in my Lunchbox (using Absima radio gear) and one minute it’s driving along fine, the next, if I ease off the trigger, it flies off full pelt. The only way to stop it is to hold down the trigger! It’s like I’ve switched the Throttle switch on the controller from Normal to Reverse. I have to switch off the LB (whilst holding down the controller trigger so as not to get snarled up in the wheels), then the controller. I then switch the controller back on (wait a few seconds like I normally do) and then the LB. I then usually have to switch the throttle switch on the controller to the opposite setting to get the wheels spinning in the right direction and I’m good to go. Until it happens again... I don’t drive the LB very far away from me (for fear of it going awol) so I don’t think it’s losing signal from being out of range. Is it simply a faulty ESC?

Perhaps plug a servo into the esc channel on the rx a nd see it it does the same funny thing? Also is the aerial okay on both tx and rx? If you are using 2.4g radio most are very sensitive to the aerial being damaged. I had the last 2cm of one of my rx's cut off and the range was next to usless, until I stripped back the same length of exposed core and the rx aerial.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, Wooster said:

Has anyone experienced an ESC unexpectedly switching between forward and reverse? I’ve got an MTroniks Autosport 20 turn ESC in my Lunchbox (using Absima radio gear) and one minute it’s driving along fine, the next, if I ease off the trigger, it flies off full pelt. The only way to stop it is to hold down the trigger! It’s like I’ve switched the Throttle switch on the controller from Normal to Reverse. I have to switch off the LB (whilst holding down the controller trigger so as not to get snarled up in the wheels), then the controller. I then switch the controller back on (wait a few seconds like I normally do) and then the LB. I then usually have to switch the throttle switch on the controller to the opposite setting to get the wheels spinning in the right direction and I’m good to go. Until it happens again... I don’t drive the LB very far away from me (for fear of it going awol) so I don’t think it’s losing signal from being out of range. Is it simply a faulty ESC?

Those Mtroniks ESCs are awful. They have a crude auto setup routine which is probably getting confused in the middle of a run. Switch to a Hobbywing 1060.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, sosidge said:

Those Mtroniks ESCs are awful. They have a crude auto setup routine which is probably getting confused in the middle of a run. Switch to a Hobbywing 1060.

Sounds lole those LRP A.I. series. Selflearning but had their own mind.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. It’s definitely a dodgy ESC. Have now installed a Hobbywing 1060 and the Lunchbox’s rebellious streak has been tamed!