Carmine A

ENTERING the BIG Money Pit Club - Grand Hauler!!

All my trucks have the stock 27 turn, I call gold can and have no problems. I can crepe in all gears just by feathering the throttle to where it is barely moving. I have always used Futaba radio's so I don't now how other radio's sensitivity is for the stick movement but I have no trouble driving it slowly and under control. (like real trucks) with the Futaba and stock motor. Other radio's might react different and why people change them?

I have the Volvo tow truck and it has (I believe) a 35 turn motor that comes with it and I notice it being slower right off.

Every one has there different way.

That's me and my fleet/motors.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

Followed to see where you go with this. Also more pictures of cat please, we have two Maine Coons. Lovely cats, if a tad large.

Thank you so much!! HOPEFULLY, this goes well. I know I'm going against normal conventions with this, but the tried theory of "Volt Up and Gear DOWN" has worked so well in Crawling, with such finite slow speed control... 

Why not with these??  Especially with Gear Options at my disposal. Every once in a while, we NEED to try something different... 😉

Maine Coon are lovely Cats - with the appetite of a small DOG! He's loveable, but hates being picked up.

3 hours ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

All my trucks have the stock 27 turn, I call gold can and have no problems. I can crepe in all gears just by feathering the throttle to where it is barely moving. I have always used Futaba radio's so I don't now how other radio's sensitivity is for the stick movement but I have no trouble driving it slowly and under control. (like real trucks) with the Futaba and stock motor. Other radio's might react different and why people change them?

I have the Volvo tow truck and it has (I believe) a 35 turn motor that comes with it and I notice it being slower right off.

Every one has there different way.

That's me and my fleet/motors.

Lower Turn Motors DO have slower top speed. Nobody can debate that. 😉 

I'm going with a Hand Wound, custom 30T Crawler Motor - with a 3:1 Gear Reduction Unit. I really feel like this will work. 

Something that many of us have, but often forget about is - Exponential. 😊  nearly all 2.4GHz Radios have this adjustment. You can take all the sharpness out of your first half of the Throttle - and Steering, making the first half VERY smooth, and quick movements have very little effect. All the rapid movement is moved to the second half! 

It's been a winning strategy for years in Competition Crawling. I can't see how it wouldn't work here - with that lower first gear. 

The 35T Motor used in the new Tamiya 4 Axle Trucks is a Crawler spec Motor. WHY Tamiya doesn't offer lower Gear Options.... It's actually a better way to go about it.

But you're right. In the end - it's about personal choice. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Maine Coon are lovely Cats - with the appetite of a small DOG! He's loveable, but hates being picked up.

I had a cat that hated being picked up back in the day. I think it is because they are not in control of the situation. Mine would come to me on his own though. An empty box is the best cat "toy" there is. They always make them theirs. (oow, a new box)

Have a good one.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

I had a cat that hated being picked up back in the day. I think it is because they are not in control of the situation. Mine would come to me on his own though. An empty box is the best cat "toy" there is. They always make them theirs. (oow, a new box)

Have a good one.

You are SO right!!! 😂😅 

My Wife buys expensive toys for the last 2 Cats - and they preferred the BOX they came in!! 

It's an old, learned strategy, derived from when all Cats were wild. It's (A) A good place to sleep in safety... and (B) a great spot to wait and ambush.

They're fun to just watch sometimes, just exhibiting "wild" behaviour...  At least our BIG lump is a true to Breed Maine Coon. 🐱 

NO Rodent is safe around here! And in the Southwest, we have one called a "Kangaroo Rat". SO fierce, that they confront and WIN against anything up to a Western Diamond Rattlesnake!!!🐍

No match for our Fatso!! 😁

Hope you have a fruitful Week.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 9:11 AM, Carmine A said:

I am so excited about this Project!! I've waited a very long time for it. It's going to end up quite modified, highly detailed and hopefully... pretty cool too. 😉  Here's another BIG Hint as to what I'm doing here!! 😁 spacer.png I'm sure this one will be the dead giveaway. 

And once again, I wish to Thank all of you - who have inspired me, and whose Threads in this Section has given me some great ideas!! 👊👍👍

Finally! Another Little House On The Prairie fan!!!!! :wub::P 

• Haha 4

Yes cats are great if you understand them. They aren't dogs. I like the dance they do...plant there feet before an ambush. Or they think they are hidden under a blanket or laundry but there big butt is sticking out. They are fun!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Finally! Another Little House On The Prairie fan!!!!! :wub::P 

Jon..... Thanks Mate!! THAT was a good Chuckle! 😂😅

• Like 1

I think it's a fantastic choice - I used to watch that film practically every day and could quote it word for word. Plus I always wanted to be Snowman rather than the Bandit! I'd then go and recreate scenes with my Matchbox cars and Convoy trucks :) 

really looking forward to seeing this one progress!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I think it's a fantastic choice - I used to watch that film practically every day and could quote it word for word. 

So do you only take your hat off for one thing, & one thing only??

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

That was Bandit's quote - but in my case... YES!! 😁😂

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I think it's a fantastic choice - I used to watch that film practically every day and could quote it word for word. Plus I always wanted to be Snowman rather than the Bandit! I'd then go and recreate scenes with my Matchbox cars and Convoy trucks :) 

really looking forward to seeing this one progress!!

Yeah.... I can quote One and Two. Notsomuch the Third one. 

They filmed a shot right near my House at the time, when we lived in Alabama!! I was only 13, but I remember that well.

• Like 1

POSSIBLE change of plans..... 😲  To only one thing. 

Since this is my first Big Rig, I may be biting off more than I can chew. Meaning Electronics. I believe I will be using a few Beier Systems... But for this one - so I can get acquainted with the HUGE Electronics package involved..... 

I may just go with the MFC-03. 😲  YES, I know it's the European version, with Volvo Diesel Sounds, but it's a little more modern than the MFC-01. It's got a few more Features. So except for having to stick with a NiMH Battery (which really shouldn't be a big deal on this!), it just seems a bit simpler - for OVER $100 more!!! 

But.... For the first time since 2008, I can say "It's ONLY Money!!"  Something I still shouldn't take advantage of too much.... Particularly since the new theme of my YouTube Channel is how to have cool RCs without having to spend a Fortune. 😉

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

"Maybe next time, put your badge on your tidy!"

• Haha 2

"There's no way, NO WAY you could come from MY Loins....  When I get Home I'm gonna punch yo Mama in the mouth!" 

• Haha 2

Nothing wrong with MFC's. I like them. Everything in one package. A little bigger but electronics are a safe case (one case). Easy plug and play, complete, no computer etc... Mfc-01 and the MFC-03 are pretty much the same with a few different functions and ways things operate. But if you go with MFC-03 your sound will be funny to suite your truck because it is a euro sound truck on that one. I would save it for when you get a Volvo truck. Thumbs up on the MFC Choice though. Start out the easier way in my opinion. There is a lot of "don't know" on the first semi build. You can get the for better prices than you think. Shop around. Bier system can add up also and programming. (not my thing)

Grand Hauler = MFC-01........Suggestion......

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Nothing wrong with MFC's. I like them. Everything in one package. A little bigger but electronics are a safe case (one case). Easy plug and play, complete, no computer etc... MFC-01 and the MFC-03 are pretty much the same with a few different functions and ways things operate.....

Grand Hauler = MFC-01........Suggestion......

I didn't have a problem with them. Well, 2 small issues...  ONE Sound File, with no option to change it, and the HIGH COST! Maybe only in COVID freaked out America, but this is where I'm forced to buy them. 

International shipping to - and especially from the U.S., is astronomical. And the average cost of a MFC here is $400-450....  😲😞 

I KNOW they're cheaper in Europe, the UK and other Countries - but not here. I can get a Beier USM-02 for $169 here, and about $150 for the add-ons + $25 for a Hobbywing ESC.

But I agree with you about the complexity and my current unknown factors about making one of these Roar.

But in this case, I'll live with some incorrect Sounds (until of course I get a Euro Truck!!). The MFC-03 is 14 YEARS newer than the MFC-01!  In the world of Electronics, that's an ETERNITY. That alone makes the 03 a better unit, with even smoother (a measurable amount) operations and sound. 

At a later date, I'll be more ready for the Beier System and its Programming - which I'm not awful at!! 😉

Don't worry - I got this! 😊

• Like 1

OK..... I'm truly not trying to instigate any controversy. 😲  But I have unintentionally rattled a couple of People, on here, and other places! 

Fact is: Lower Turn Motors DO have more Torque! Higher Turn Motors make LESS Torque - but DO have a lower Top Speed, and more controllable Slow Speed..... 

NOT MY THEORY or even my idea. But the story that Higher Turn Motors make more Torque - started UNSUBSTANTIATED. And it was so long ago and passed around so much, that many People accept it as fact. 

I don't want to make big waves, and won't try to force ANYONE'S held beliefs.... But - according to Science - that thinking is wrong! Again, not my idea. 

I first heard it from my Dad, who was an Electrical Engineer. It was concurred by his colleagues, also Electrical Engineers. 

Within the past few years, I heard it again, from my Friend, John Holmes, an Electrical Engineer and the Owner/Designer/Development Engineer of Holmes Hobbies, a Leader in RC Crawler Motors, ESCs and Servos. His long time Saying has been "Volt Up and Gear DOWN". 

In essence it means, get more Motor RPM, Torque and Power - but use the LOWEST Gear Ratios you can possibly get. This setup has worked brilliantly in Rigs weighing up to 15lbs, and Crawling nearly VERTICAL at times, in Competition! 

ALL I'M SAYING is, just give the idea of Low Turn, high Power Motors - and doing what you can to reduce your Gear Ratios as much as possible. 😊 

This Build is going to test the Theory. It is unproven with 1/14th Scale Semis - but there's not a lot of difference between these and Crawlers, performance wise. We want a Ton of Torque - and not a lot of Speed!!  We want excellent control at low speed for sometimes complicated maneuvers. 

Since I don't have all the pieces yet, and have just started... I am the self appointed Guinea Pig for this! 😊  It STARTS with this.... spacer.png Now, I'm not going to be stupid either!  I would never recommend a "Racing Motor" (23 Turns or less). 😲  That would do nothing but heat up ESCs and eat up Batteries!! 

The first Motor I'll be using a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro, 30T Handwound Motor. Believe me, it's got Torque in SPADES.  If not satisfactory, then a 35T Crawler Motor. I don't plan on needing any more than 45 Turns, with the Gearing I'm planning. 

I would love to tell you that it definitely will work. But I don't know for sure yet either... but I'm excited to experiment!! 😉

• Like 1

On to some ACTUAL Building!!! 😁  I'm definitely working a bit out of order. For now anyway. 😉

I've started with the Interior. Only because I started messing with a few things, and ended up deciding to complete the Interior - before starting the "official" Build. That, will go BY the Manual. 

So I decided on light Colours... Simply to make it more visible. spacer.png

What has worried me the most has been the Driver!!  I've borrowed some steps and techniques from my former Hobby.... spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally gave him a HEAD - but still not entirely thrilled with my results. spacer.png Then..... spacer.png

And........ spacer.png

The DASHBOARD, I'm throwing caution to the wind, and going for it!! 😲 spacer.png

spacer.png This WILL look better when I'm done - promise!!  spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another lesson, good for everyone... spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png There WILL be more coming. Just waiting for glues and paint to fully dry. I should have more soon!! 

Thanks Friends!! 👊👍👍

• Like 4

MORE STUFF came in from China!!! 😁  spacer.png

Much earlier in this Thread, I mentioned that this will be towing my Grandbabies too!! spacer.png

And well.... they just look Dope!! 😜😊 

spacer.png

After seeing so many Videos about how SLOPPY the stock Front Hubs are, at only 14.00 USD - I absolutely couldn't resist! 

More soon. I have to try to keep this Thread on track, on topic, and moving ahead!! 😎👍👍

• Like 3

the wheels look great are they meant to be alcoa reps

i went for the tamiya hop-up reps on mine as the tamiya originals are "1" hard to find know and "2" really pricey i got the full set to include the trailer also for the price of the front ones sell for  but i did have to buy a set of tyres as i glued them on the kit ones i found the rear wheels do catch the full fenders so i had to put a spacer between the chassis and the fenders to clear the wheels and i also ordered a cranked steering bar to try with the cranked rod ends i already got .

the gear stick is a great idea the driver looks great also IMG_20200221_161003.thumb.jpg.b1f7036bc65f8f9dc2741a4cd76b68d6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@topforcein Thanks - and good eye!! They are Alcoa reps. My Driver.... I'm not completely thrilled with. I need someone with the talent to paint a Flannel Shirt. 

I think nearly all Aluminium Semi Wheels are offset more than the plastic Wheels. I've heard that several People had to shim those Rear Fenders, for the same reason. I'm not using those, as in building a Long version of Cletus Snow's 74 Kenworth... With subtle changes to make it mine. 😉

The Stick Shift just came to me! 😊 I had seen similar done in Buggies before, I knew that the Stick on a Semi was quite thick... And the sprue in front of me looked right.

Also, I've already got the tight Rod Ends, like you, they're the only Traxxas parts I've intentionally bought!!! 😜😂  I'm glad there's at least one other person who is concerned about Steering SLOP. And I realize that a 20kg Servo is serious OVERKILL for this Rig.... The price was great, and it has NO Play in it! (A source of Looseness that many People don't think about) 

~ Your Rig looks INCREDIBLE!! Love that deep, dark Blue. 

• Like 2

ive just finished watching terri wilds latest build of a king hauler and in his latest video he does the steering mod 

i noticed the wheels looked the same as what i saw a chap on u-tube called bruce wilson on a full sized truck he did up.

i think i only have a cheap servos on my grand hauler and i cant remember if i have the hop-up alloy servo saver and mount 

the colour really pops in the sun and is house of color paintIMG_20180420_142443.thumb.jpg.82491acb2c2cc08c54549d87d28257cf.jpg

• Like 1

@topforcein I just finished watching Her Video. Teri has some great ideas - and I'm implementing them ALL - plus a few of my own!! 😉 

That Blue REALLY pops in the Sun. 👍👍  I definitely want to go that route on one of my next builds!