Carmine A

ENTERING the BIG Money Pit Club - Grand Hauler!!

FINISHING THE DASHBOARD!! 😊 

spacer.png Still needs a little touch up, after I'm done messing with LEDs....

spacer.png

SORRY! I just love the way my best Mate in England says "Decals"!! 😜

spacer.png

spacer.png Made the Holes as tight as possible, to help with light bleed. 

spacer.png More Soon!!! 😊

• Like 4

decals.... deckals:lol: it the same with aluminium  and jaguar :lol:.... mike from wheeler dealers tryed to get some guys from the lowrider scene to pronounce aluminium the english way in a program the other day 

the dash is looking great can't wait to see it lit up;)

• Thanks 1

... My Friend is always trying to get me to speak the "Queen's English"!! 😜 

Hopefully tomorrow it will be ready for a demo. 😁

• Haha 1

that is one thing i dont spake is the "queens engish" if i was talking to you you prob would not under stand me :lol:

they do look great i may have a go at doing this in my merc when i get a right hand drive dash.

i did manage to convert the dash in my grand hauler to right hand drive and installed a fibre optic system its not pretty as them dash's but it does serve a purpose and it cant be seen that much anyway as i have tinted the windows

IMG_20210428_155628.jpg

IMG_20210428_155447.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NEXT STEP.... 

Slower progress than I hoped, but I did get the time to get the LEDs in and secured! 😉 

spacer.png

spacer.png SHOULD be finished today!

So.... Speaking of projects.... how's THIS for a Sleeper!?!!?? spacer.png One could literally live in this Truck!! 😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

So.... Speaking of projects.... how's THIS for a Sleeper!?!!?? spacer.png One could literally live in this Truck!! 😊

You need to get the styrene out and stretch yours!

Jx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyMo said:

You need to get the styrene out and stretch yours!

Jx

Well Ms. Jenny... Possibly my second Rig. 😊  I've dreamt about doing a Cletus Snow Kenworth for about 27 Years!!  I love the idea though. I don't think any Tamiya Frame is long enough.... So I might be paying Semi Joe's RC Truck Shop a visit. He's the best in the U.S. with Semi Mods. 👍👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Well Ms. Jenny... Possibly my second Rig. 😊  I've dreamt about doing a Cletus Snow Kenworth for about 27 Years!!  I love the idea though. I don't think any Tamiya Frame is long enough.... So I might be paying Semi Joe's RC Truck Shop a visit. He's the best in the U.S. with Semi Mods. 👍👍

Ha - talking of Cleetus' and stretched trucks - are you familiar with the Cleetus McFarland YouTube channel? He has a huge following due to building all sorts of mental drag racing cars and other petrol-headed tomfoolery over the past couple of years... this is an introduction to his latest toy (no doubt paid for in part by having a huge 2.5M subscribers on YouTube) - the 'Towterhome' 5th wheel hauler... check out the 4 car trailer they've had built to tow behind it too!

Maybe I need to build a 1:14th of this rig? - "H E L L Yeah Brother!"

Jenny x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Ha - talking of Cleetus' and stretched trucks - are you familiar with the Cleetus McFarlane YouTube channel? He has a huge following due to building all sorts of mental drag racing cars and other petrol-headed tomfoolery over the past couple of years... this is an introduction to his latest toy (no doubt paid for in part by having a huge 2.5M subscribers on YouTube) - the 'Towterhome' 5th wheel hauler... check out the 4 car trailer they've had build to tow behind it too!

Maybe I need to build a 1:14th of this rig? - "H E L L Yeah Brother!"

Jenny x

Oh I've definitely heard of Cleetus McFarland!! Subbed too. 

YES!! That's the Rig project for you! 😁

• Like 1

Dashboard is DONE!!! 😊

spacer.png

spacer.png Not my very best work... but it does what I need it to do. 

I also test fit the Interior! 

spacer.png

spacer.png .... I'm going to try to make inner Door Panels. Shouldn't be too hard. 😉

Now that my little "pet side project" is done enough for now, TIME to actually start BUILDING!! 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cool dash lights 😎, great work, a Grand Hauler could never have to many lights on it. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Cool dash lights 😎, great work, a Grand Hauler could never have to many lights on it. 

That's exactly what I thought. I plan more... Found a 3D Printed CB Radio with lighted faceplate, and I'm fitting LEDs in the Ceiling too.

• Like 1

On to the actual Build!!! 😊

From Step 1..... spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png Even this is longer than the stock Servo Horn... But it's sure going to be solid! 😁

spacer.png YES, People have used Lipos with Servo Setters for Years, with success, using the Balance Lead - in a very specific way... But forget to plug it in correctly just ONCE, and KABOOM!!! 💣 (Don't ask me how I know)😜  AA batteries are cheap. The Battery holder is cheap. It's foolproof!! 

spacer.png ..... All I had was 12, 18, and 20mm Hex Screws. So I improvised with an 18mm and a spacer! The whole thing is going to be painted Black anyway. 

spacer.png .... But the Rod Ends were SLOPPIER than the Tamiya Ends!! SO...... spacer.png Had a spare Steering Link from a SCX10, so I modified it!! 😉

spacer.png Works a TREAT!!

Now a break, for my Alcoa Wheels! 😁 spacer.png

spacer.png .... Because NO Vehicle ever has clean, painted Brake Drums!! (Except for Show Vehicles)

spacer.png I had to end up fitting Shims to the inside of the Axles, because the wide Tyres rubbed on the Rod Ends...

spacer.png REALLY!! If you can get hold of some Syringes (30-24 gauge), this might actually be the BEST idea I've ever come up with!! 😊  It's precise, easy and NEAT. Glue goes only where YOU want it!! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png OK.... Back to the regular Build!! 😊

• Like 4

Assembling the Frame....

spacer.png Most People may not notice... but I will.

spacer.png There's going to be SO much Wiring in this Rig, that great ideas like this are invaluable!! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png Sorry.... My best Friend is in England, and I LOVE the way he pronounces "SprinG"!! 😜

spacer.png

spacer.png I think that HPI makes Hex Head Step Screws in various sizes. I'll have to search...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png Fortunately, they're the same length as the Tamiya Ends... Making this even easier! 

spacer.png Yet another cool trick from Ms. Teri Wilde. If you haven't checked out "Teri Wilde RC" on YouTube, you really should!  ..... "Carmine's RC Tips and Tricks" isn't so bad either!! 😁😜  If you fancy 80's Music, my Channel features my old Band, doing covers and Originals from that Decade. They're the backdrop for my RC Builds. 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png I tested them on a Postal Scale, to ensure evenness.

spacer.png .... I will be "rusting" all those shiny bits as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png I actually cut TOO much!! I'll have to adjust end points to keep the Tyres from hitting the Leaf Springs!! 😖 

spacer.png WHY doesn't anyone do this for Cars that actually go FAST!?!? 😲

Back to the grind... Hope everyone's having a great Weekend!!

• Like 3

the wheels look great and the needle glue idea is a great one but i could never have them in the house as the wife has got a proper phobia with needles 

i see you have also been watching teri's recent truck build i ordered that grease he uses to try out and i did order the spring hangers as was gonna copy his steering mod 

but i ordered a cranked rod and used the cranked ends also and tbh i have not need to trim the spring hangers or notch the axle either i orderd the same rod again for my merc and will be doing the same on that but i am waiting on a right hand drive dash to turn up yet before i make a start on that also have a rear bumper and 3d printed wheel hub caps for the truck and trailer also to paint along with the dash 

oh and btw traxxas def is not a dirty word to me  my first nitro was a t-maxx and i still own my revo from new when they was first released 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Carmine A said:

Onspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png OK.... Back to the regular Build!! 😊

Lovely job on the wheels and brakes!! Looking good my friend!! :) 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Lovely job on the wheels and brakes!! Looking good my friend!! :) 

Thanks Mate!! 😊  I just wish I had thought of Scale Bolts BEFORE I Threadlocked the Screws in!! I don't think they're ever coming out... They're tiny, and soft. 😖  OH well, learning experience! 

@topforcein  Thanks! I had the original T-MAXX 2.5... My Last RTR I ever bought. But a Nitro with REVERSE!?? I had to have it. 😁 

Yeah, using a Syringe 💉 isn't for everyone... But for anyone who CAN, I've really found nothing better to apply Tire Glue! 👍👍💯  Seriously, the neatest method ever - and I'm proud to have actually thought of such a thing! 😊

THE DIFFS.... Source of Debate and Arguments!!  I DON'T believe in Locked Diffs. There are better alternatives. HERE'S my solution for my version of Positraction!! 

spacer.png This pot was sitting UPSIDE DOWN for a week - and it DIDN'T move towards the Cap!! 😲😳

spacer.png I actually mixed some 30K Weight Diff Oil, because it was TOO thick!! 😲

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png ..... CHECKING to make sure they turned in the RIGHT direction! 😉

spacer.pngspacer.png

On to the HARD part!! 😲

• Like 2

THE GEARBOX!!! 😳

I was so worried about this, but with some common sense, it really wasn't bad! 😉 

spacer.png The Shift Rod WASN'T where the Manual said it was!! 

spacer.png I'm NOT fitting the two outer Springs... I'm told that it strains the Servo in 1st and 3rd. The Servo will hold it in Gear anyway. 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Skipping ahead.... spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png This is WHY I'm not buying into the 80 Turn Motor theory!! I'm using this, and a 35T Crawler Motor. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it!! 😧😊

• Like 3

.... Short update. Fitted the Rear Wheels and spun each to test the ultra thick Diffs.

I'm happy to report that when I spin one - the other three spin at the same speed!! 😁👍👍  If I hold a right Wheel, and spin a left Wheel, it takes considerable effort. BUT, when I roll it on the floor, all four Wheels turn easily - and at different speeds!! 

20 Million Weight Diff Oil would be RIDICULOUS in most Gear Diff situations... But these Diffs have comparatively small Diffs and Diff Gears. In the past, I've stuffed CC-01 Diffs with Marine Grease or thicker - with practically NO effect. Same reason.

So this SUPER thick Diff GOO, although hard to work with, IS the answer if you want traction on ALL wheels... But like me, a Retired Auto Mechanic, KNOW that Locking Diffs causes undue stress and kills your Steering circle!!! 😉 

Happy Building, Ladies and Gentlemen!

• Like 3