Sign in to follow this  
Brat73

Restoring an original Subaru Brat

Hi so 1st lockdown last year brought a re-re brat built it loved it then stripped and rebuilt my original brat from when I was a kid along the way I brought lots of spare parts so building a third... my question is that I have an original brat with a 380 motor I want to upgrade to a 540 motor do I need to Change the gears to Cope with a 540 motor? And which 540 motor should I buy?

thank you

The og SB is a fixed rear end - no diff. , so if you want to fit a 540 you can only alter gearing by means of the pinion . The re-re Brat has a diff to handle the extra 'power' and improve drivability . A stock 540 , Torque tuned or at most a Sport tuned are good motors for a fun ride . If you still have the old MSC fitted I wouldn't go much above these motors unless you fit a diff but then you are straying away from your og Brat and into re-re style which you already have .Personally I would leave the Brat with the 380 as stock and upgrade the 3rd Brat to 540 / ESC etc

58 minutes ago, Brat73 said:

Hi so 1st lockdown last year brought a re-re brat built it loved it then stripped and rebuilt my original brat from when I was a kid along the way I brought lots of spare parts so building a third... my question is that I have an original brat with a 380 motor I want to upgrade to a 540 motor do I need to Change the gears to Cope with a 540 motor? And which 540 motor should I buy?

thank you

Any motor should fit, once you remove the plastic motor plate.  A simple silver can should be plenty fast.

The real question is what pinion.  Do you know the teeth-count of the Counter Gear in the particular car you want to upgrade???  That is the number of teeth on the outer gear - the one that contacts the pinion gear.

Terry

If memory serves, the stock Brat internal gearing is the same as the "fast" Frog set -  so an 18 tooth pinion should work. Motor bolts straight on to the gearbox, no adapter needed.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying my re-re brat has a 540 and I (my dad...!) upgraded my original brat back In the day to a 540. So I want to do the same to this one. I want to keep it as original as possible so won’t fit a diff so will get a sport tuned do I go brushless? Forgive me not sure really what that means! Also not 100% sure what you mean by MSC.? 

Thank you frog jumper and markbt73 I will check the pinion numbers if it is 18 I will buy a 540 motor bolt it on and see what happens...need to buy a ecu and servo yet. Any  thing else I need to consider? As you may have guessed somewhat of a novice but I am hooked again like I was when I was 10...!

15 minutes ago, Brat73 said:

Thank you for replying my re-re brat has a 540 and I (my dad...!) upgraded my original brat back In the day to a 540. So I want to do the same to this one. I want to keep it as original as possible so won’t fit a diff so will get a sport tuned do I go brushless? Forgive me not sure really what that means! Also not 100% sure what you mean by MSC.? 

You don't need a brushless set up , a stock motor , or TT or ST as I said before will be plenty - these are brushed motors . A Hobbywing Quic-run 1060 will be a suitable ESC to take the place of your old Manual Speed Controller ( the small board with the wiper arm and contacts ) / resistors and throttle servo . You might also consider a 2.4ghz radio set-up while you're at it or you can use your old 27mhz set if your happy with it .

Thanks Kev i see yes my old one has an MSC but the shell on the one I am building doesn’t so will get one of those. I really appreciate your help. Cheers

I would stick with a silver can.   Next thing you know with more power your axles start to slip.   I had that problem when I owned the original Brat back then because I drove the thing so often.   I loved the car.  

14 minutes ago, Brat73 said:

Sorry, silver can? You mean the original motor?

Maybe it is a USA thing.  We call the Mabuchi/Johnson 540 motors 'silver cans'.