Bunty

Need a lipo alarm?

Hi guys, 

Quick question for you, after running my newly built up new fighter with a 5000 nimh   Coupled with the tble 02s and a 13.5 turn sensored brushless motor I was a tiny bit disappointed. 
If I powered it with a lipo would there be much improvement? 
if so do I just need a lipo alarm to warn when it gets low?  I’m new to the lipo world ! 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yes you should use an alarm or you could do this :

If you are handy with a soldering iron. You will of course need a charger that is lipo balance capable. 

• Thanks 1

Oh wow! 
I can do basic soldering but that looks a bit too complicated for me! 

I don’t suppose you can point me in the right direction of what alarm would work for the tble 02s? 

I do already have this charger linked below 

from another kit but I don’t think it’s working properly so need a new one now as well!

089F5E32-AC23-45E4-B200-281D12322190.jpeg

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/lipo-voltage-checker-warning-alarm/DYNF0002.html

you can probably find a cheaper one, but this is what you want. It plugs into the balance wire on the Lipo. Use some sticky tape to affix to an accessible spot in you car. When you plug your battery into the ESC, you plug into the alarm too. 

And yes, the 7.4v lipo will give you a little more “pep” over the 7.2v nimh.  It will also be lighter and run longer and won’t have the voltage drop off the nimh has.  Be sure to read all the advice threads.

Terry

When buying a charger, you want one that does Lipo balanced charging. And you want one that can charge quickly. I’m using (2) 5000mah Lipo batteries, and an older HiTec charger.  One battery will last about an hour, while the charger can fully charge the other one in about an hour. So I can swap them out and drive non-stop if I want.

Terry

Thank you, 

I need a new charger to go with the lipo as I don’t trust the one I have currently! 
I think that coupled with the warning buzzer, and a storage bag should see me set! 

• Like 1

This one has been recommended to me, looks like it balance charges too👍

38CE9C9E-947B-4D2E-9B86-F6BF327D651C.png

This is the one I’m using:

https://hitecrcd.com/products/chargers/discontinued-chargers-charging-accessories/x1-ac-plus-battery-charger/product

I’m not in anyway a charger expert, and I’m not familiar with that Etrinix charger.  But there are a million chargers out there. I asked the kid behind the counter at my LHS what he used and then bought the same thing...

Terry

I would get one of the chargers that has a screen so you can see what is actually happening. So from the Etronix range (as an example) something more like this - https://www.etronix-rc.com/etronix-powerpal-mini-ac-6a-60w-balance-charger-discharger

main-500x500.jpg

Although no harm in a LiPo alarm, it's better to have an ESC with the correct voltage cutoff. As alluded to earlier, the Tamiya ESC does not have a suitable cutoff for LiPo. The Hobbywing 1060 does though, and is a nicer speed controller anyway.

Thank you, good advice. I have now removed the tamiya esc as it was holding it back so much! 

Yeah the only reason to keep the Tamiya ESC is that it’s free with the kit...

A charger can make or break a battery, so try not to skimp, could cost you more in the long run (Just with a short battery life span never mind the unthinkable...)

One with an LCD screen, so you can see live time, each cell voltage and charging current. They'll normally cycle charge nimh too, sometimes a slow full discharge and charge can help wake those up. (I like ones with 12v / 240v input, just for options of charging off my 1:1 car) 

Get one from a decent model shop/ outlet, eBay and Amazon don't fit that description imo, as chargers like the Imax b6 have been cloned to death.

Lipo charge bag should be another necessary purchase, again no eBay rubbish, you'll only find out how good it is, when you need it 😳

2s balance lead extender, these make it easier to charge in a fully enclosed charge bag.

Have a read through- 

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

ESC wise, you can get plug in alarms for the battery balance lead, or, the better option, if the budget allows, would be a 10bl120 esc (DT03?) 

• Like 1

That’s v good advice thank you, I will have a read of that link,

I ordered a better charger and should be here today so I’m interested if that does wake up my lipos! Certainly worth a try