Sign in to follow this  
cyilmaz

Paint maintenance

Hello. I have a vintage monster beetle. I plan to make some retuch on the paint but not a full repaint. Can i use autowax on that paint to make it some shine. What do you suggest?

2F3FD6E6-CBF3-4EF2-949D-2D71DA2C9E56.jpeg

It looks like it is matt black paint ? . You can try an auto polish to get some shine on it , but I'm not so sure it will shine like a gloss paint would

10 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

It looks like it is matt black paint ? . You can try an auto polish to get some shine on it , but I'm not so sure it will shine like a gloss paint would

Thank you @KEV THE REV

I dont want it shine. Just Remove the faults on the paint. 

It might make it look worse because it appears to be flat. I think it will come out with a blotchy look if you wax it. It won't make things disappear like I think you are expecting. Try it in a small area and see if you like it.

If I was to touch it up, I would brush touch up the missing paint on the hood (bonnet) edges, sand the paint completely off the fenders, mask and just spray only the fenders.

If you want to even out the surface gloss on the hood (bonnet), I suggest using some 1000 grit sanding sponge and go VERY gently to achieve an even brushed/matte appearance.  However, if you go too deep you may end up removing the paint revealing the plastic, so I would do this very gently.

Also, going over the silver trim in a darker silver (just a drop of silver in mostly black paint would do) and clean up the trims.  That will make your body have more definition.  Sounds like a fun project.  Good luck.

Thank you @Tamiya Fan 1

Thank you @Willy iine

I think i will only do retocuh with flat black and just leave it as it is.

But i want to paint the rims to the Gold because their paint is gone. What color should i use?

CB02A4FA-5825-4F2F-B8EE-34471C9F66E7.jpeg

Those rims are gold chrome so you will have to remove the chrome for paint to stick well to it. At the very least sand them to where the shine is gone before you paint. paint might stick if you do nothing but might not last. A set of new rims aren't that expensive. 

As far as color that is really a personal choice. Matt black, gold, red, silver, any thing really depending on what you want it to look like. Try to match the colors all ready on it or go crazy with something way different.

• Thanks 1

My advise is keep the rat look as it is now and buy a new body for display. The original MB wheels are gold plated and it is very difficult to achieve the same finish with paint. Are the tires original? If I remember well the originals had spikes on gold wheels so maybe these are the yellow wheels and tires from the Black Foot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No Slack said:

My advise is keep the rat look as it is now and buy a new body for display. The original MB wheels are gold plated and it is very difficult to achieve the same finish with paint. Are the tires original? If I remember well the originals had spikes on gold wheels so maybe these are the yellow wheels and tires from the Black Foot. 

Hello. I dont know if the tyres are original or not. But rims are original. After the posts i think i will leave them as they are. 
After the restoration finished maybe i can buy a New set of tyres and rims. On the other hand i like to leave the vintage cars as they are because they show the lifes with them. 

One thing about those deep wheels is they can be difficult to spray paint using a rattle can (spray paint can).  New set of wheels and tires sounds like a good plan.  

• Thanks 2