So, I have a TT02 Type S, halfway through the build process. She's a beauty so far, but I would like to throw in something faster than a Mabuchi 540SH, and hopefully it comes with an ESC that won't melt after its second run. :lol:

My price range is something more expensive than a cheapo GoolRC (learned my lesson on that one :lol:) but something cheaper than a Castle. It needs to be brushless, though I don't know if I should get a sensored or sensorless motor. Preferably something I can purchase here in the US without waiting three months.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

- Max

A sensored 13.5t or 17.5t should work great with the stock ESC. If you didn't get an ESC with the kit, a Quikrun 10BL60 will do the job nicely, or if you want to go down to 10.5t and below,  a 10BL120 will give ludicrous speeds. I use a 13.5t Bluebottle and 10BL60 in mine and it flies! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

A sensored 13.5t or 17.5t should work great with the stock ESC. I use a 13.5t Bluebottle in mine and it flies!

Thank you for the reply, @TurnipJF! So, you're saying to keep the stock ESC and get a 13.5T or 17.5T motor?

Cheers!

Maxim

5 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Thank you for the reply, @TurnipJF! So, you're saying to keep the stock ESC and get a 13.5T or 17.5T motor?

Cheers!

Maxim

That's what I did with my TT-02B, which works very nicely with the stock ESC and a 13.5t Speed Passion. For my Type S, I got a 10BL60 ESC because I wanted more adjustability, and fitted a 13.5t Bluebottle because it was easier to find than the Speed Passion and suited the colour scheme better. (The Bluebottle also works nicely with the stock TBLE-02 ESC - this is what I run in my TT-01s and DF-02.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

For my Type S, I got a 10BL60 ESC because I wanted more adjustability, and fitted a 13.5t Bluebottle

Thanks! I'll take a look at both the motor and the ESC you mentioned.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers! ^_^

I'm a huge fan of Hobbywing Justock systems. They're pretty cheap, about $100, perform very well, are dead reliable, and the ESC is nice and small. I've used them in everything from crawlers to buggies to fun runners to touring cars, and anything else that I have around. They're sensored systems and are not waterproof. You'll need the optional program card if you want reverse.

For a TT02, I'd use a 13.5 or 10.5 with mild gearing if you're not racing, so you'll have good speed without heat issues and long run times. I think that I have ten or a dozen of these systems in various cars around here; they're my go-to for most 1/10 applications.

If you want bigger horsepower, try the SkyRC Toro TS120 ESC with a race-type motor from Sky, Hobbywing, SMC or any of the less expensive big brands. The Hobbywing "Bandit" line of outlaw motors is very fast (if a bit heavy) and a real bargain. Stay away from four pole motors for on-road - the extra torque makes the cars harder to drive fast.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

I'm a huge fan of Hobbywing Justock systems. They're pretty cheap, about $100, perform very well, are dead reliable, and the ESC is nice and small. I've used them in everything from crawlers to buggies to fun runners to touring cars, and anything else that I have around. They're sensored systems and are not waterproof. You'll need the optional program card if you want reverse.

For a TT02, I'd use a 13.5 or 10.5 with mild gearing if you're not racing, so you'll have good speed without heat issues and long run times. I think that I have ten or a dozen of these systems in various cars around here; they're my go-to for most 1/10 applications.

If you want bigger horsepower, try the SkyRC Toro TS120 ESC with a race-type motor from Sky, Hobbywing, SMC or any of the less expensive big brands. The Hobbywing "Bandit" line of outlaw motors is very fast (if a bit heavy) and a real bargain. Stay away from four pole motors for on-road - the extra torque makes the cars harder to drive fast.

Thank you SO MUCH @Big Jon! This clarified a lot for me.

Would an ESC like this work? https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYWING-QUICRUN-10BL120-SENSORED-Touring/dp/B0765Q2SVS/ref=pd_day0fbt_2/143-3321126-5427002?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0765Q2SVS&pd_rd_r=002f56fc-43e0-4f42-a658-5529d5ff8a66&pd_rd_w=KTWDU&pd_rd_wg=xEpf5&pf_rd_p=6a05ef20-9a93-4152-93b4-38b758e10220&pf_rd_r=4BWB8VMW0ZEE53EXXJNP&psc=1&refRID=4BWB8VMW0ZEE53EXXJNP

And a motor like this? https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan-mrr-v3-competition-sensored-brushless-motor-13.5t-mcl1050/p1265168

Thanks again!

Hopeful, ;)

Maxim

As others have said, 13.5T suits the TT02 well. Unless you're racing go for a generation or 2 older motor as they still perform well and are much cheaper than the latest and greatest.

The Surpass Rocket V3 is good bang for buck. The V4S or V5R are more expensive but faster. I think the SkyRC Toro motors are still available and cheaper. If you have time to wait for shipping check out Banggood and Aliexpress as they are probably cheaper there.

I would get either the Hobbywing 10BL120 or SkyRC TS120. Both are great value and perform well and have motor limits around 4.5T so should run anything you want in future as well.

• Like 2

@Tamiya_Cars_4_Life i should have mentioned these too. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-80a-turbo-sensored-brushless-1-12th-1-10th-esc-roar-approved.html?___store=en_us

They are cheap but work really well. Get the program card too if you get one (that goes for the others too) as being able to program in turbo and boost is a game changer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Tamiya_Cars_4_Life i should have mentioned these too. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-80a-turbo-sensored-brushless-1-12th-1-10th-esc-roar-approved.html?___store=en_us

They are cheap but work really well. Get the program card too if you get one (that goes for the others too) as being able to program in turbo and boost is a game changer

Thank you, @Jonathon Gillham! I just purchased the V5R motor with the Hobbywing 10BL120.

One more question, should I stick to the stock pinion gear that came with my Type S or do you recommend a different pinion?

Thanks again,

Maxim

6 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Thank you, @Jonathon Gillham! I just purchased the V5R motor with the Hobbywing 10BL120.

One more question, should I stick to the stock pinion gear that came with my Type S or do you recommend a different pinion?

Thanks again,

Maxim

The gearing depends on what motor you are running. What turn motor, 13.5T? The biggest you can fit is 25T without changing to the high speed gearset so go with 25T for now.

You may want to get the high speed gearset and the Yeah Racing motor mount. This allows you to run any gear ratio you want. If you do this then its worrh switching to 48p gears as they are much more common. Its amazing how high you can gear brushless motors, and how fast they are when geared properly.

I'd second the suggestion of a Yeah Racing motor mount. Its slotted design is more versatile than the Tamiya version with its holes that only allow a finite number of motor positions.

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I'd second the suggestion of a Yeah Racing motor mount. Its slotted design is more versatile than the Tamiya version with its holes that only allow a finite number of motor positions.

Thanks again, @TurnipJF! I just purchased the motor mount.