Ferruz

What to do with a Kyosho Vanning?

Hi chaps!
Time for me to dip into this section of the forum, as I could use your wisdom on this nitro matter.

I'm usually more into vintage or re-re 1/10 electric buggies, but an unexpected turn of events recently brought this Kyosho Vanning into my hands. Really couldn't let this one go! I knew little about this ancient beasts and was no doubt always fascinated by them, but never even dreamed about owning one and honestly wasn't really considering getting into nitro RC and all the extra fuss that -apparently- comes with it (I have no first hand experience with nitro whatsoever).

But now this old monster is here and growing on me by the minute, so I'd like to figure out what to do with it before it end up somewhere unattended.
I lack the knowledge to judge by myself without taking it apart, but the previous owner said that I wouldn't need much more than the engine and a new spur gear shaft to run again.
Shocks, diffs, fuel tank, chain, ladder frame and linkages all feel and look to be in pretty good conditions even though with a fair amount of use.

I've seen a few videos on YT that confirmed what I already thought: when alive, this is a big, heavy, fast noisy dinosaur that demands a wide playground and can't just be ran anywhere like any smaller, electric model (like most nitro cars, I assume). That's not an issue, as there's a few suitable places not far from me where I could run it, but still something to keep in mind.

Long story short, here comes my main question. Let's say I decide to take my dive into the vintage nitro rabbit hole, source the parts needed, restore the buggy and learn my ropes about basic nitro operation. Once the car is up and running, would I have any hope of actually enjoying it for at least a few runs in a row, or would every half-an-hour run result in many hours of maintenance, breakages and drama?
I have no problem with maintenance in general and am used to doing it on my buggies pretty often, though I have my limits and I enjoy running them too. If I decide to have an operating Nitro car in my fleet, I'd like it to be enjoyable on a more frequent basis than the once-in-a-blue-moon use these vintage cars usually get.

If this Vanning can have a chance of becoming a relatively reliable runner I might as well give it a try and restore it, but if it's more the type that will blow my mind for one single run and then for one of the other reason end up sitting on a shelf for one century, than at this time of my life I'm not that interested and will probably end up letting it go to help finance more down to earth projects in what now suddenly feels like my small, electric comfort zone :lol:

Any advice, insight and help figuring out the situation deeply appreciated! Thanks in advance guys.

Oh and a few pics. Car came with original manual and a good bag of spares.

20210418-132230.jpg

20210418-132111.jpg

20210418-132127.jpg

20210418-132142.jpg

20210418-132213.jpg

20210418-132250.jpg

• Like 3

No expert but looks like you need a new front bumper and the roll cage and maybe tires. Only thing i know about about nitro is that after every run you need to clean it real good.

Heres what they look like completed .

vanning.jpg

You're not the only one in an electric comfort zone!

I don't know anything about the Vanning, but I would have a similar dilemma as you.

Would I sell it on and use the funds to upgrade one of my electric cars?

Or would I claim it as my own and attempt an electric conversion?

Never been excited over nitro RC cars, but wow, Kyosho certainly has a way to make you feel something. NICE CAR!!

The Vanning and Presto are essentially the same car. The Vanning has the role cage, the Presto a body. I have nearly finished restoring one myself. From a restoration only point of view they are great to restore. Fairly easy to get parts for and lots of the fastening are easily available. Most of it is metal and again that is easy to restore. Plastic body parts can be got via marwan and the Vanning cage powder coated looks superb along with the restored chassis.

Yours looks pretty complete bar the bumper, cage and engine and in my opinion would make a great restoration project. You also have the rare alloy fuel tank cap that was an option. jealous about that! The cage will be the hardest part to find.

As a runner it wasnt great but you have to remember these were very early nitro cars, years before Tamiyas first attempt. they are heavy and the original kits were underpowered. You can put a modern engine it it, modern radio gear and it will be a runner. As a first foray into nitro it might not be the best starting point though. if you break anything parts are going to be more difficult to get and that may turn you off running it. far better to find a more modern Tamiya like a TGS that is easily broken and easily fixed with plenty of body choices etc.

I would still restore it though as they are beautiful done right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love mine, but in all honesty looking at what you've got unless you have always wanted one I would part it out. It will take a ton of money to get it up to scratch.

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.f94348a155348a422bb46506bf863660.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @acprc and @hedge for your opinion and insight.

4 hours ago, hedge said:

It will take a ton of money to get it up to scratch.

5 hours ago, acprc said:

. if you break anything parts are going to be more difficult to get and that may turn you off running it

That's pretty much the kind of information I was looking for.

I feel a lot for this car, but not enough to dive into a costly restoration whose end result would most likely be not more than a beautiful shelfer, used maybe once or twice.

It sucks letting it go, but one's gotta make choices in life and I understand this would be too much for me at the moment.

Thanks again

This might be a good place to add this question... It seems silly, but I dug this out of my closet, and was trying to remember how/why there is a separate driver AND one built into the lexan. I can't remember how I came to own this painted driver & separate body, but see that Team Blue Groove is offering the set the same way - and I have no idea how this would work or why it's like this. Someone here must know. Thanks!

IMG_1184.jpeg