MontyMole

Upgrading TT02B shocks, what to choose?

In my quest on making my TT02B a little bit better, I'm in a kind of a rut regarding the shocks. I've found that the CVA shocks included make the ride really low, so I've resorted into picking something longer, with a more stiffer oil. Now, what I've got now is probably what you can find by putting "TT02B shocks" on ebay: cheap aluminium shocks, which I've filled with 750cst oil. To put it shortly, they are not very good, but having longer shocks to increase the ride height (80mm and 100mm front and back respectively) definitely helps at not turning my car into a lawnmover. My question is what shocks should I pick next? Do you have any advice to share? I've eyed the Big Bore Yeah Racing shocks, still at 80 and 100mm length, anyone has had any experiencewith those?

My 2p:

You won’t like the cost but the tamiya DF03 aluminium shock set is very, very decent. 

GMade do a nice range of aluminium diaphragm shocks, but again cost is significant if I recall, though I think you can get the lengths you require. 

Tamiya do good plastic CVA sets and I think you can generate increased length over the stock kit shock with using the taller mounts and by using the inner mounting hole on the lower arms. Although best check the max length the CVA sets will provide you. have you maxed out the stock shock lengths anyway? 

Yes there are lots of cheapy shocks on eBay but as you say they’re sometimes questionable in terms of quality and smoothness  

Big bore shocks might be overkill for TT02B but I’d defer to others on this. 

There are many folks on the forum with more in depth advice than I’ve provided, particularly in addressing the oils and weights, but this is my experience. 

• Like 1

What @ALEXKYRIAK said. They aren't cheap, but the only significant step up over CVA is the DF03 set, which was recently reissued as 54993 for the TT02B specifically. The shocks are 5mm or 10mm long front and 6mm or 12mm longer rear than your CVA shocks. 

@MontyMoleHave you upgraded the shock towers yet? On mine, I found this made far more of a difference than changing out the shocks themselves. 

I just went through this with my sons TT02B. 

I ended up with DF03 damper set, Tamiya Front and Rear Carbon Towers and larger diameter wheels. 

To me... its like a new buggy. I love it. Will post pics if I get a minute. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

@MontyMoleHave you upgraded the shock towers yet? On mine, I found this made far more of a difference than changing out the shocks themselves. 

Yeah, I've got the FRP shock towers front and back now. Definitely helps, especially with the longer shocks: The original plastic ones were starting to get bent.

• Like 1