Hi guys, I have a RC semi truck with the MFC-01 module. After resetting the remote the truck doesn't "start" when turning the switch on. The speakers pop when you turn on the switch, the power light lights up and the trucks driving lights and flashers all work, but no engine sound or motor response. Using a Sky Fly i6 remote and a FS IA6B receiver which are paired successfully. I have gone through these steps but I do not get any engine sounds as said before. Any suggestions to what might be a problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

you try this.......switch handset on...then...hold the setup button on mfu and then switch  on....go thru setting up stick again...once it setup up properly it start up automatic....neutral the stick first on trim`s

Ok thanks, but the setup process doesn't even work. When I hold the setup button on the MFC-01 and turn it on, there is no sound, the light blinks for 10 seconds and then steady, but still no sound as the video would show here and then with its cleared it shows that the engine starts up, mine doesn't.

You say the truck's driving lights and flashers work - do you mean they work when you press the buttons on the MFC, or they work when you operate the sticks on the handset?

Does the steering servo work?

Can you operate any part of the rig at all from the handset?

My experience with the MFC-01 is that if the receiver receives no signal from the transmitter (i.e. it is not bound or the transmitter turns off), the MFC-01 will not go through the engine startup phase.  You can simulate an engine shutoff by switching off your transmitter (although this isn't recommended as something else could interfere with the receiver - less a problem now on 2.4GHz but was an issue with older radios).

My guess would be that the MFC is receiving flatline signals from the receiver, so it thinks the transmitter is switched off or not bound.

What happens if you connect your receiver directly to the steering servo?  Does the servo operate?  You can try plugging the servo into all the receiver channels to make sure all the channels are working properly.

Also you say you have an IA6B receiver - is it in PPM mode?  If memory serves, the IA6B can run either in "normal" mode (where channels 1 - 6 are output on the appropriate pins on the receiver) or PPM mode (where all 6 channels are combined into one single signal from the PPM output pin, which IIRC is shared with Channel 1).  In PPM mode the other channel pins are dead.

Can you confirm there is power to the receiver?  I can't remember if the IA6B has an LED on it.

• Like 1

No, non of the operations work from the remote, the lights turn on by pressing the buttons on the MFC control panel. The IA6B does have an LED and it is on steady when paired which it is.

Maybe? The control box (with on/off, volume, push buttons) has a toggle switch next to on/off switch, look the same. That needs to be in center position for everything to work. The bottom position is for run only. The middle is for run/light functions. The top position is for lights only and would be controlled by little push buttons ONLY. I think you have it in top position. Check it, I hit it by mistake all the time turning power on/off.

Try it.

Power needs to be off when changing the switch for it to change- FYI.

Some dumb questions, but:

1) Batteries have a full charge, truck and transmitter?

2) No loose wire connections? Control box to MFC.

3) Default set MFC as mentioned above? Turn power off after this, turn back on and reset transmitter to the MFC W/SW -1.

That's all I can think of, unless Skyfly isn't set right? Not familiar.

5 minutes ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Power needs to be off when changing the switch for it to change- FYI.

Thanks for the tip. 

On 4/22/2021 at 11:34 AM, Mad Ax said:

Also you say you have an IA6B receiver - is it in PPM mode?  If memory serves, the IA6B can run either in "normal" mode (where channels 1 - 6 are output on the appropriate pins on the receiver) or PPM mode (where all 6 channels are combined into one single signal from the PPM output pin, which IIRC is shared with Channel 1).  In PPM mode the other channel pins are dead.

That was the problem, the receiver was in PPM mode. Now the truck starts but all the operations are reversed. Pushing the stick up makes it drive backwards, and so on.

• Like 1

Check if the channels are reversed in the transmitter.  You can go into the settings and find an option called Reverse.  According to the manual, everything should be set to Normal (i.e. not Reversed) for the MFU.

If that doesn't work, go through the setup process again, following the manual carefully.  If memory serves you are prompted to move the stick in one direction, press a button, then in the other direction, press a button - if you get the movements wrong the MFU gets confused.  I'm sure I've been turning right and had my left indicators come on before when I've got the setup wrong.

Also check (maybe with the wheels off the ground) if the direction of reversement is in the motor or in the MFU itself.  i.e. If you push up on the stick, does it make the "driving forwards" noise but turn the wheels backwards, or does it make the driving backwards (reversing beep) noise?  Or do the brake lights come on?

If you hold the stick up then immediately pull back, do the brake lights come on, or do the wheels immediately start turning the other way?

Basically when you're driving forwards, pulling back on the stick should apply the brakes the first time - it should only go into reverse if you release the stick to the middle then pull back again.  However there is no such feature for reversing - if you're going back and you push forward, the truck will just go forward.  If this function works properly (i.e. pulling back makes the wheels stop and the brake lights come on) then the channel is the right way round but the motor is connected backwards (i.e. unplug the motor terminals and plug them in the other way around).  If the functionality is reversed (ie. the brake lights or reversing bleeper come on when you push forward on the stick) then the channels are reversed in the transmitter or the MFU isn't properly set up.

I'm fairly sure the steering servo and gear selector output is "straight through" on the MFU, so if they are going the wrong way, you will need to reverse the channels in the transmitter.

So - to summarise:

• check all channels are set to 'normal' in the transmitter
  • go through the setup process again
  • confirm if it works properly
  • if the sound/brake/reverse function is working but the truck is going the wrong way, reverse the motor terminals
  • if the sound/brake/reverse function is completely backwards, set the throttle channel to Reverse
  • repeat for the other channels if necessary

I hope that helps :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Check if the channels are reversed in the transmitter.  You can go into the settings and find an option called Reverse.  According to the manual, everything should be set to Normal (i.e. not Reversed) for the MFU.

That was it. Thankyou guys so much. It's all set and running. Now do I edit this title to (Resolved), or just leave it as it is?

• Like 1

I'm glad it's working - happy trucking :)

As for the title - just leave it be, the next person who does a web search for "mfc doesn't start" might find this topic and be able to solve their problem without having to post and wait for an answer :) 

• Like 1