jonboy1

alternative to Buggy Big Bore dampers?

Very much a first world problem here, but I've grown dissatisfied with the look of the DF-03 upgrade dampers I've got fitted to the Durga - I just don't think they fit the aesthetic of the rest of the buggy. The obvious upgrade would be the Buggy Big Bore Aerations (54504, 54505) but at over £150 a set (assuming you can find front and rears and springs) it's a bit too steep an upgrade. 

So, is there an aftermarket alternative to the Big Bores? Do 3Racing or YR do something similar? Does anybody have any experience with them?

Also, is there any idea if the Big Bores will be coming back into stock at any point or are they discontinued for good?

Cheers!! :) 

Have you checked one of the far East suppliers? They often can get the damper sets to you for less than the UK prices.

3 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I have had excellent service from my Yeah Racing dampers, once I fitted them with Tamiya shaft seals. Their Big Bore Go range should suit your needs nicely:

https://www.yeahracing.com/damper-shock-spring/big-bore-go-damper-shock-set

They look to be spot on! Thanks for the recommendation!! ;) So do you find them a bit leaky or sticky with the standard seals?

4 minutes ago, Toad16v said:

Have you checked one of the far East suppliers? They often can get the damper sets to you for less than the UK prices.

Yeah, tried all the ones I can think of - can just about put a set together of front and rears and springs by using 3 suppliers - 2 from Japan, 1 from the US!! And that still comes to over £150! :o

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

They look to be spot on! Thanks for the recommendation!! ;) So do you find them a bit leaky or sticky with the standard seals?

It was an issue of wear more than anything else. After the initial build, they worked perfectly well, but after a couple of months of regular running, the shaft seals developed wear and started to leak. I replaced them with Tamiya ones and they have have been used for over a year now with no further issues.

• Like 1

The standard buggy aeration dampers come up on eBay reasonably frequently. They suit the aesthetics of the buggy well, better than the DF03 set. 

All except the DF03 are discontinued I believe, could be wrong. 

2nd hand Schumacher big bore. You can usually (none Covid times...) get a full set for around £40 .

A full set of new, you'd be looking at £80. Plenty of available seals, shafts, spring sets etc etc

Normally as racers upgrade their car, and can make more money breaking the old one, so you may need to wait until tracks are back open, while keeping an eye on Facebook/eBay etc.

If you've fitted the DF03 shocks, they should fit, as I'm running the big bore on my DF03 (and DT03 too)

2020-07-30_10-49-46

• Thanks 1

I also vouch for Yeah Racing. Great dampers, looks nice and performs really well for 40% of the price of Tamiya.

Other brands to look for are KYX Racing and Xtraspeed.

• Thanks 1