Turbocharged Racer 27

Which basic servo and radio are best for a TT-02?

I’ve been using a FlySky for a few years. Cheap and easy. Check ‘em out...

Terry

• Like 2

are the Flysky radios the one with antenna? i currently am using Tactic ttx300 (3 channel). they are budget basic radios that dont have antenna wires than stick out of the RC car/chassis. i like them but they cant do any advanced features and can only bind to 1 receiver as afar as i know. im not much of a fan of the ones that need antenna, my Traxxas antenna tube got a bit bent, no serious damage but i need to carefully squeeze the tube to clear/remove the upright tube eventually.

the FlySky GT5 was on my radar for the TD and im considering it for the Manta. i hear it can bind with many receivers so maybe i can dump the RTR slash antenna and get this radio. what sort of range does it have with the antenna vs wireless setup on the chassis (if it can run without antenna)

3 hours ago, Turbocharged Racer 27 said:

Thanks a lot! Is there anyone using the 3prka Futaba transmitter or the S3001 Servo, do they work well?

Thanks!

The S3001 is a good solid budget servo, but the S3004 doesn't cost much more and uses a ball bearing instead of a bushing. They both have plastic gears, which should be fine for turning a TT-02.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Gecko said:

The S3001 is a good solid budget servo, but the S3004 doesn't cost much more and uses a ball bearing instead of a bushing. They both have plastic gears, which should be fine for turning a TT-02.

Thanks! Really helped me.

10 hours ago, Turbocharged Racer 27 said:

Hi,

I would like to know which servo and radio are best for a TT-02, I want something basic that gets the job done. I’ve thought of these two:  https://futabausa.com/product/3prka/ and https://futabausa.com/product/s3001/  I think they are enough but I don’t know, could someone help me, what are you using?

Thanks a lot.

Futaba are a premium manufacturer, producing some good-quality items that often out-last and out-perform lower-end products that appear superior on paper. For a TT-02, unless you are planning on modding it into a full-blown racer, pretty much anything bearing the Futaba badge will do very nicely. That said, I'd echo @El Gecko's suggestion of the S3004. A ballraced output shaft improves both precision and longevity and is definitely worth the slight price difference.

• Like 1

The Futaba 3PKRA is a decent budget transmitter. It has the essential adjustment that you need (even has throttle EPA so you can slow the car down for kids). It doesn't have multiple model memory though. The 3PV is the next one up and is good enoygh for racing and has 10 model memory. Its quite small though so may not be big enough if youhave big hands. Its worth spending more on the radio gear as you have it a long time and only buy once.

As for servos, futaba make great gear but its expensive for what you get. I've tried cheap servos from JX and SPT and while I don't believe their claimed specs they are still stronger and faster than those bottom end futaba servos. If you're like most on gere you'll end up with a lot of cars so cheaper servos make sense. I buy in bulk from Banggood

The TS D99X linked above is good too and decent quality. Anything Savox is good too. I generally look for 10kg and .1 secs, better for my racers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

I agree. I’ve been using the six channel FlySky FS-GT5. It’s a great combo, and their receivers have an extremely long range. I don’t even use the antenna tube, and the antenna wire stays under the body of my DT03.

Hope this helped you out, @Turbocharged Racer 27!

Cheers,

Maxim

Do you just let the body keep the aerial down or do you secure it a bit to keep it away from the chassis moving parts?

1 minute ago, nel33 said:

Do you just let the body keep the aerial down or do you secure it a bit to keep it away from the chassis moving parts?

I usually use a small tube under the body, or somehow secure it. I've had an aerial ripped out when it got caught by the driveshaft. Luckily a new aerial is only a few dollars so it didn't ruin the rx, but shipping times are a killer.

1 minute ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I usually use a small tube under the body, or somehow secure it. I've had an aerial ripped out when it got caught by the driveshaft. Luckily a new aerial is only a few dollars so it didn't ruin the rx, but shipping times are a killer.

Thank you for the reply. I'm strongly considering this for the Manta as the extra controller features are something I'm lacking with current model. How long does the tube get to be? I can probably use a tie wrap to keep it near the rear Manta body post between the wing supports. I've had enough lessons rolling the 2wd slash to try and keep it from sticking out. I haven't tried tucking the antenna on the slash but it's a bit annoying to say the least with the current range it has before losing signal. 

4 minutes ago, nel33 said:

Thank you for the reply. I'm strongly considering this for the Manta as the extra controller features are something I'm lacking with current model. How long does the tube get to be? I can probably use a tie wrap to keep it near the rear Manta body post between the wing supports. I've had enough lessons rolling the 2wd slash to try and keep it from sticking out. I haven't tried tucking the antenna on the slash but it's a bit annoying to say the least with the current range it has before losing signal. 

It just depends on the length of the aerial. The tube doesn't need to be the full length, just enough to keep it away from moving parts. I have used a long tube which is just held down by the body too, just depends on the car and rx.

What tx are you using? You can buy rx's without an aerial, thats the easiest way

1 minute ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

It just depends on the length of the aerial. The tube doesn't need to be the full length, just enough to keep it away from moving parts. I have used a long tube which is just held down by the body too, just depends on the car and rx.

What tx are you using? You can buy rx's without an aerial, thats the easiest way

Currently the TTX300 tactic and it runs no antenna from chassis but it's a very basic model. I like the features of GT5 but the aerial is the only downside. If i can safely tuck it under the shell then it would work well. I know GT5 can bind with many RX though I'm not sure if mine isn't among them.

The only thing I'd say about the S3004 is that is it not digital, so you cannot use high speed telemetry with it. For that reason I've been using the Futaba SU-300 for general use instead.