silvertriple

Marui Hunter(s) and a Galaxy RS too

16 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Cool stuff . I have an Amerang catalogue with the Marui cars listed and other models 

scans please :-D

Marui Galaxy - Instruction manual
ljf58fd.jpg
D5VeBhj.jpg7jNtqIl.jpg
2FD7g4L.jpg99pwtQE.jpg
Cs1T25c.jpgcLyG81F.jpg
19fLpy8.jpgp6hccFO.jpg
E6dHglQ.jpg6Gnesq2.jpg
NQz9A1F.jpgtntS0A9.jpg
ZtTfa9X.jpgPiDPdqx.jpg
vVGLXu0.jpg

Marui Amerang Flyer - December 1985
QqHuTXW.jpg
ii6Tqbg.jpgPDBJr6S.jpg
MQAoNT7.jpgZ3jUvsD.jpg
hk2Ib3g.jpgFCgqP2N.jpg
bV4gRCF.jpg

You may note the wrong description on the Hunter page, which is mentioning rugged four wheel drive system :lol: :lol:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I'll find the catalogue and let you know . It is a list of some Marui models and part numbers .

That would be super cool :)

I guess this is the document they were providing to their resellers... It probably has the whole range of products, including parts and prices (There is only the first page in the pdf). Thanks

There is valuable information in this document...

You can deduct from there that the Marui Galaxy was no longer available shortly after it's introduction and was clearly a limited series

If you can pm me the whole document scan, it's still interesting. There is some people I know who would be interested by those scan :)

Until recently, I was taking the article from BlackHoleSun on rc4on (The complet story of Marui models | RC for Old Nuts (rc4on.com)) as the reference for the Marui cars release dates.
The Amerang flyer was indicating something different for the Samurai : the Samurai was likely introduced in December 1985 all over Europe.

It triggered some interrogations in my mind, and I went to do some research on those car release dates...
The Marui catalog of 1986 (you can find it on rc4on : 1986 Marui Catalogue RC Holy Grail| RC for Old Nuts (rc4on.com) ) was an eye opener for me.
On this catalogue, there is the Marui kit reference number. They are actually number with a specific sheme

• Hunter - Kit #3 - Reference MT59-RC3 - Release 1984
  • Big Bear - Kit #4 - Reference MT59-RC4 - Release 1984
  • Galaxy - Kit #5 - Reference MT60-RC5 - Release 1985
  • Galaxy RS - Kit #06 - Reference MT60-RC6 Release 1985
  • ... until the Samurai 4WD - Kit #10 - Reference MT60-RC10 Release 1985

I did an assumption about the kit reference scheme :
MTxx-RCyy
with :

• MT for Marui Tokyo
  • xx for the year of release with 59 corresponding to 1984
  • RC as the kit is in the RC series
  • yy for the number of the kit in the RC series

I did two checks to confirm this assumption :

• Kit #1 and #2 Super Wheelie CJ-7 and Super Wheelie Land Cruiser were released in 1983 in their 6V versions, and had MT58 in there reference numbers
  • Kit #11, Ninja 4WD was referenced MT61-RC11, indicating a release date in 1986

I did not found the reference of the kits for

• Marui Thunderbird Coors (kit#12). However, its JP instructions manual I found on the repository of manuals from dirt-burners.com indicates a date in August 1987
  • Marui Shogun 4WD ( kit#13). However, the JP instructions manual found in the same repository indicates a date in December 1987.

Both kits should have been referenced MT62-RC12 and MT62-RC13.

That is serving no purpose, it is just useless, but seems to be fact. I'm just doing some aRCheology :-D

• Like 1

I went to a friend's place today to gather a Galaxy RS roll cage as my son would prefer a Galaxy instead of a Hunter...
I'll need to model the Galaxy specific parts (shock stays, super structure and roll cage stays)...

KvI276R.jpg
And the Galaxy roll cage came with something else :-D

• Like 1

Now you're going down the Samurai worm hole  . Awesome buggies these , but did have their weaknesses . 

7 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Now you're going down the Samurai worm hole  . Awesome buggies these , but did have their weaknesses . 

Well, yes, Samurai worm hole :-D (all the more so as there is another one waiting for me at my parents' place :lol:

• Like 1

Looking at the details of the pictures : most chassis have their shock towers broken... Could be viable with Optima House gear covers for Hunter but not for Galaxy... 

Wow, it's long time I've not posted in this thread... Still no way to get bodies for the Hunter(s).

Few days ago, a friend who gave me the Galaxy RS blue roll cage that came with the Samurai hinted me a link on ebay. The price was kind of ok, but I was not decided. I added the stuff in my follow list.

On the next day, I received an offer for what I was ready to pay for it and passed the order. The box arrived today.

The box itself is a case, with a handle and some stuff to close it. And inside, there is a car, with its radio.
NNfeXnY.jpg

Under the body shell  (which may be a Parma body), there is a familiar chassis, with broken shock towers.
UtBctZx.jpg
CnZGFHl.jpg

The roll cage is absent, and the chassis broken. Beside this it's complete, and even the tires are in pretty good shape, with no cracks.

I will combine this with the remaining black chassis and the roll cage, and it will be another complete Galaxy RS. The chassis itself will be repurposed as a Hunter chassis with @optimaforever 's gearcover.
Beside the shock towers, it is in pretty good shape, the transmission works flawlessly, and there is not much marks of usage under the chassis and the under gear cover... That looks promising.

• Like 2

Further inspection of the box shows some interesting details...

There is a receipt in the box: this Galaxy and the radio were bought as a kit on December  2nd 1987 in Rouen (FR) at the Mini-Train shop.

The box itself has been cut specifically for the car.
mUUz0gb.jpg

I found all those elements quite interesting bits of the car history...

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 4:12 AM, silvertriple said:

Wow, it's long time I've not posted in this thread... Still no way to get bodies for the Hunter(s).

Howdy, I may have a solution to the Hunter body problem, but it'll take me awhile to make them - probably towards the end of the year at my current rate of progress. The last couple of years I trying to do two nitro bodies, where I am making molds from old ones, and have had some success on my home made vac former (I have a thread on here somewhere of where I got up too). Soon I'll have a better vac former that I'll be able to form polycarbonate on. I also have a Hunter body in pretty good condition, but unfortunately its been trimmed out, but I have been studying some techniques to help copy it that I want to try. I'll keep you posted if interested.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yogi-bear said:

Howdy, I may have a solution to the Hunter body problem, but it'll take me awhile to make them - probably towards the end of the year at my current rate of progress. The last couple of years I trying to do two nitro bodies, where I am making molds from old ones, and have had some success on my home made vac former (I have a thread on here somewhere of where I got up too). Soon I'll have a better vac former that I'll be able to form polycarbonate on. I also have a Hunter body in pretty good condition, but unfortunately its been trimmed out, but I have been studying some techniques to help copy it that I want to try. I'll keep you posted if interested.

I'm definitely interested... At the rate of progress on my own stuff, and with the multiple ongoing project and threads, I'm not sure when I'll get back to this project, It's still turning in background in my head, just like others, so...

The other day, I was having a look at ebay, and saw a Hunter which looked to have a V1 chassis. My finger ripped and I clicked buy. It arrived today...
EiTHIDl.jpg
Q3lnsVD.jpg

It doesn't have its radio, but it is the same receiver as my brother's one, and just the crystal is different. The tires are in pretty surprising shape and well conserved.It deesn't have its original roll bar, the rear bumper is broken, the rear triangle are mounted upside down, but the shock towers are intact...

VC06Pp9.jpg

And as it is a V1, the gear cover is marked with "Hunter" and the shock towers are rounded... My original Hunter was exactly like this one. The front suspension lower arms are without the galaxy shock attachement (again as it is a V1). It would not have been a V1, I would have not clicked buy... There is some work to do on it, but beside the rear bumper attachement broken, it will be a very nice Hunter at the end...

And note to @yogi-bear, apparently, TBG mould is back in working state, as it is possible to order Hunter bodies again...

• Like 3

As I decided to delay the Samurai first build for a few days, I have some time to finish something... I decided to deal with the two Galaxy. I cut the wings, and drill the driver figures (they are repro in resin).
CfbRk7n.jpg

Next was to take care of the wings paintjob. Thanks @yogi-bear, I had the Galaxy in png, so I could do masks exactly like needed.
0DjXVF0.jpg

Next step was the paintjob. I started by the wing for the red Galaxy : blue (PS-4), then bright silver (PS-41). I then worked out the wing for the Galaxy RS : Red (PS-2) and White (PS-1). I completely forgot that the PS-2 tend to react with the masks I use, and it seems my tape react as well, as a bit of overspray happened while I was spraying the red. 
xMiN7T7.jpg

I still have another wing uncut for my son's Galaxy RS... Remains the driver to paint. I'm going to do them by batch. A lot of Marui drivers are on my work table right now, and there is still some to be added on the table.