Sign in to follow this  
catman79

Best way to remove paint from a hard body Tamiya ?

Hi all just after some advice. Have a clod buster which I’m undecided wether to keep or sell at the moment. If I keep it I want to strip and repaint the body, it’s got a classic 80’s paint job at present, is there a way of stripping the paint without damaging the plastic body? Previous owner had splattered it, looks pretty cool, but not something that’ll rub down easily . So ideally looking for some sort or paint stripper 9FC6B56F-CCCD-4538-9DAE-E649A261AF30.thumb.jpeg.d170bea056b0125ca3893ec5b9d29ce1.jpeg

• Like 1

That is going to take some elbow grease to remove, I think.  Is that enamel they used?   Maybe try a dab of enamel thinner and see if it rubs off.  Make sure to wear disposable gloves as you don't want to make skin contact and do it outside in a well ventilated area away from sparks/flames.  When you toss the rag, it's a good idea to drench it with water and place in a ziplock bag to prevent spontaneous combustion. 

I know hard bodies react to laquer based thinners so you'll probably want to stay away from that.  Otherwise I would sand it the best you can.  I feel your pain.. I've dealt with so much prepainted mess restoring my M38 Wild Willy's.   GL!!

Lots of threads on this if you search. Automotive brake fluid, oven cleaner, and graffiti remover have all been used. It depends what type of paint it is, but you can probably find something that will shift it. Don't sand it; you'll just destroy all the detail.

If your going to sell that clod I would keep as is. If keeping you can get another hardbody cheap or even a lexan body from jconcepts.

• Like 1

Since the currently available main body part  is cheap, about $20.00 USD, I would just buy a new one and reuse the other original parts.

I had very good success with Eazy-Off Oven Cleaner, the yellow can.  Spray the part liberally, put it in a plastic bag and leave it out over night. Paint rinsed off next day with water and light scrubbing.

Since  this topic comes up so often, maybe the moderators should just make it a sticky so it’s always accessible. 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, DaveBuildsRC said:

If your going to sell that clod I would keep as is. If keeping you can get another hardbody cheap or even a lexan body from jconcepts.

And if you do sell it . PM me . I love the paint job 

cheers guys, 

i have decided to keep the clod and restore, bodies are out of stock here in the uk, so im going to try the oven cleaner trick, are we confident it wont ruin the plastic??

Best way to remove paint from a hard body Tamiya ? in my opinion -Don't 

Well I’ve bit the bullet, decided to try the oven cleaner trick, on a small part first in case it all goes horribly wrong ! Will see what it’s like in the morning. 

40420C2E-DC41-49AE-ACAA-098D0A0F8725.thumb.jpeg.3ae7ad567f8da9bed1c213eba2281aba.jpeg

So, after almost 24 hours in oven cleaner, it’s not touched it, at all! Starting to think this could be some sort of enamel as mentioned above. Any suggestions ?

catman79 - That was my prediction, honestly, with oven cleaner.    You can try brake fluid, but I am a 1:1 car guy with a well stocked garage including brake fluid for my various cars..I would not consider dunking my near 40 yr old M38 bodies in what would be about 2-3 gallons of brake fluid.   In my case I just took my time and wet sanded while being careful not to sand off the details.   This body was a flaking + running paint mess when I bought it used.   Looks new now.   (sanding blocks used #80, #120, #220; Tamiya sanding sponges #400, #1000, #1500).

It's up to you.  Brake fluid will probably work as it is corrosive.

IMG_Apr22021at60735PM.thumb.jpg.9f402ef4860bc510ce526fce16157aab.jpg

IMG_May92021at124242PM.jpg.0991a652c8105f17cead005eccd3ba64.jpg

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

catman79 - That was my prediction, honestly, with oven cleaner.    You can try brake fluid, but I am a 1:1 car guy with a well stocked garage including brake fluid for my various cars..I would not consider dunking my near 40 yr old M38 bodies in what would be about 2-3 gallons of brake fluid.   In my case I just took my time and wet sanded while being careful not to sand off the details.   This body was a flaking + running paint mess when I bought it used.   Looks new now.   (sanding blocks used #80, #120, #220; Tamiya sanding sponges #400, #1000, #1500).

It's up to you.  Brake fluid will probably work as it is corrosive.

IMG_Apr22021at60735PM.thumb.jpg.9f402ef4860bc510ce526fce16157aab.jpg

IMG_May92021at124242PM.jpg.0991a652c8105f17cead005eccd3ba64.jpg

Cheers Willy, 

I’m beginning to think sanding is the only option, I’m actually considering replacing the tarnished chrome bits, and applying a decal set to the current paint scheme and leaving as is now. I’d hate to actually ruin the body 

Give the brake fluid a shot.  It works surprisingly well.  Wear Nitrile gloves while handling it.  All you need is the wife’s toothbrush, an old dish pan and a bottle of DOT 3.  It does not harm the styrene plastic at all.  Sanding may remove some of the finer details in the plastic.

I did a Clod body years ago followed by the High Lift Ford.  I initially painted the Ford yellow and decided it would be better off gunmetal (below).  The Clod was a red mess of rattle can dribbles from the previous owner.   Brake fluid was used to strip both. I’d post the Clod and yellow Ford but Photobucket is holding pictures for ransom.

5908FB66-196B-4640-B242-F693D3B513F7.jpeg

1 hour ago, catman79 said:

Cheers Willy, 

I’m beginning to think sanding is the only option, I’m actually considering replacing the tarnished chrome bits, and applying a decal set to the current paint scheme and leaving as is now. I’d hate to actually ruin the body 

Wet sanding is the safest option, I think.  I would not know how to lawfully dispose used brake fluid with mixed paint either.. I know my village would not accept it.  Paint, paint thinner they would, but not brake fluid mixed with paint.   My auto parts store would probably not accept dissolved paint either..  I could be wrong, haven't checked.

i can dispose of old brake fluid through work,  so how long would you reccomend i leave it in? ill try it on the same small part of plastic that i tried the oven cleaner on

On 5/10/2021 at 4:01 PM, catman79 said:

i can dispose of old brake fluid through work,  so how long would you reccomend i leave it in? ill try it on the same small part of plastic that i tried the oven cleaner on

Well I tried it and didn’t think it would work, but it did! Brake fluid shifted it ! 
A9D1EB77-C3B6-4A36-8459-D67CAF3E3658.thumb.jpeg.6093415e575af7cf88855fd4466c6517.jpegdue to the size of the body, I’m gonna have to do it in two halves, too and bottom. Time to get some decals ordered 

• Like 2