Sign in to follow this  
Toad16v

Toad16v's hernia recovery tt01e build

Gave the tt01 a good blast today, first proper go since fitting the motor and dust cover. Been having a go at the racing by post course with the occasional blast up and down the road. I've not got an especially arduous set of gearing in it 22t pinion and the kit 61t spur. Everything seems to turn and run fine, but when I stopped after probably 15 to 20 mins of hooning around the car had that electrical burning smell and the motor was too hot to even consider touching, in fact I can barely touch it now. It's the 21 turn smd motor I fitted a couple of weeks back, hw1060 esc, 4400 Nimh battery.

Is this normal/expected? The heat sink hasn't arrived yet and I doubt that it's going to bring the temps down that much.

2021-05-29_05-19-06

When we worked in the model shop, if you couldn't wet your finger and hold it on the motor can after running then it was getting too hot. Very scientific method :lol:

You can try running a heat sink to improve things, or even one of those nifty ones with a built in cooling fan. You can get the power from the "batt" channel on your receiver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The tamiya heat sink still hasn't arrived, I bought a heat sink with built in fan as well and when it arrived it was enormous. I would have had to cut a significant amount of the heat sink off to get it to fit, so I just took the fan off, cable tied it in position over the motor, changed to a 21t pinion, and have noticed improvements in the temperature, and especially its ability to cool down after hard runs by leaving the fan going for a while. Definitely feeling more comfortable with it. 

After a few more battery packs through the car I noticed play in the front lower suspension arms, asked on here and was advised to get the low friction aluminium balls, these arrived today so I stripped the front end of the car, cleaned all the components fitted the balls and put a good load more aw grease into the front diff. The balls have a lot less play - they were really tight on the hubs so I hope/guess/assume that they expanded into the holes in the arm as they got tightened down helping to remove even more play from the front end. Wish I had known about them from the start.

Also got some adjustable upper arms to fiddle with the camber. Made them up but didn't fit them. I quite like the fairly robust arrangement of the solid arms for bashing around in the street and worry I'd introduce more issues with them. At some point I might try them out to see what difference I can make to the car. 

The aftermarket tyres are taking a bit of a battering. Curious to see how long they last and what happens when they fail.

2021-06-12_02-50-27

• Like 1

Had a good blat around in the street tonight, the car felt a lot nicer, was easier to predictably slide around corners- or felt like it would have been if I was better skilled. I think much of this is down to the front diff being tighter due to the extra grease. I'm thinking that it might suit me to get the ball diff and put it in the front for long term, consistent lsd effect. The greasy diff option is obviously not hard and basically free, but I quite like the ball diffs in my Dark Impact and am really tempted to get one...

• Like 2

Couldn't sleep last night so ordered a ball diff kit, ordered tungsten carbide balls and some abec 5 rubber sealed 1280 bearings for the diff to run in today. Found the instructions online today and it looks like the adjustment is pretty limited and requires more in depth fiddling than the df03 diffs to change.

• Like 2

The ball diff arrived today. Was planning on building it tonight but didn't realise it came with solid metal 850 bushes instead of bearings and I don't have any spares. They aren't going to be subjected to significant rotational speeds - hopefully but after seeing the wear on some parts from them I would like to build the diff properly from the outset so I've ordered a number of 850 bearings. I did wonder if they were not bearings as they would be subjected to thrust type forces but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2021-06-23_05-59-36

Received the 850 bearings yesterday lunchtime. Nice, quick service from rcbearings.

Built up the diff as per the instructions, but with tungsten carbide balls and the bearings. Went together fairly easily, I packed some proper grease into the thrust bearing during assembly and ran it with an electric drill for a bit of break in.

The instructions state just like the df03 ball diffs that you should tighten it down until the gear can't be turned while the drive cups are locked. I found this hard to achieve without ending up with a really tight diff, tried a lot of different settings on the screw, and I've ended up in a position where I'm not convinced it's tight enough, but want a looser action. It's frustrating. Definitely less easy build than the df03 diffs, and the drive cups are just a touch too wobbly due to their spline fittings for me to feel happy. Fitted new rubber shielded 1280 bearings to the diff and abec 5 rubber shielded bearings in the hubs. Checked the spacers were still appropriate - they seem to be - and reassembled the car. 

Driving on the street, I think it understeers a bit more due to the diff, but I think running it back to back with the gear diff would be really interesting. It does pull itself out of corners at least as well as with the heavily greased diff, which is good.

Overall, not convinced it was worthwhile, but going to give it a good go and see if I warm more to it.

2021-06-25_09-13-48

• Like 2

In an effort to improve handling a bit more I bought a cheap set of springs from ebay to see if they made much difference. For my first attempt I've fitted the stiffest springs to the rear, and left stock springs on the front. The stiffest springs from the set are softer than the kit springs, next I'll move them to the front and put softer ones on the rear. 

The new cheap springs aren't quite as long as the kit ones, so I fitted a second spacer to ensure that the spring couldn't flap around when unloaded. When placed back on its wheels, the rear sat lower than the front, so I swapped the front spacers for some a little thinner to drop it a bit. Hopefully it's not unbalanced now. Should find out tomorrow if we have a bit of a dry spell.

Did manage a bit of a go with it in the street after these changes. Slightly damp tarmac after lots of rain recently so probably not quite as grippy as I have been used to. 

It still understeers if pushed hard into corners, but with a slightly slower entry turn in seems quicker, and the rear end doesn't seem as quick to break away, and when it does it seems slower and easier to control, not by huge margins, or completely different but with some practice I think it'll be easier to drive more smoothly. I'm not sure if the difference is because of being lower, having a softer rear end, or both.

• Like 1

Continued to fiddle, fettle and generally bother the tt01 despite having other cars on the go. There is a fair bit of play in the suspension and steering generally on these cars and an annoying amount just in the hubs where the bearings aren't a great fit, so arguably removing play and tightening stuff up is an unending and somewhat pointless task. But, if things are a bit floppy, and can be fixed easily, then it makes sense to do that in my opinion. 

One thing that has annoyed me a bit with the steering has been vertical play in the steering wiper arms between the chassis brace and the chassis so today I fitted a 0.3mm shim to each post from my stash of 5mm shims. This has taken out this particular source of play, but hasn't impinged on the steering action. Which is nice.

Also bought some more wheels and tyres from JC racing products. Was thinking of putting them on the xv01, but in the meantime I thought I'd test them against the other wheels and tyres I have on the tt01. The tyres are larger outside diameter than the ones I have been running, they seem softer and the pattern appears more suited to gripping stuff. On a quick test run yesterday they do seem to add a bit more traction and reduce the wayward rear end. I'll keep trying them out on this car and do some back to back tests against the other tyres. The one thing I don't like about the wheels and the tyres is that they're poorly made. There is quite a lot of run out in some of the wheels, and the tyres don't seem that round. Spinning them on the car, the wheels wobble in all conceivable directions. If anyone has suggestions for decent wheels and tyres, I'd love to hear them.

2021-08-08_07-00-55

The tyres and spring changes have left this a lot nicer to drive, it's a lot easier for me to drive quickly.

Might want to drop another tooth on the pinion as the motor is pretty warm despite the heatsink and fan. 

Enjoyed another round of the postal racing series with this car. The xv01 is a fair bit ahead at the moment, and I think the new semi slicks will pull a bigger gap, but the tt01 is fun to drive. 

I'm tempted by another set of semi slicks, partly because they seem really grippy, and partly due to them having a smaller rolling radius than the tyres I have fitted, and the motor will be happier about it. I fitted one wheel from the xv01 and it has less offset, so I'll need different wheels or larger hex adapters. Might wait till next month and the clearing of another credit card bill.

I did notice that while the softer rear is better for traction generally, it was bouncing about a bit more than looked ideal, and it must lose traction at the rear when it is bobbing about, so tonight I swapped out the yellow 400 weight oil in the rear shocks for some 500 weight oil I got for the terra scorcher. The green diaphragms in the cvas seem to be getting a bit stiff so I'll get some replacements in stock. I hope that the softer springs will let the wheels keep more contact with the ground, but the thicker oil will stop the bouncing. Fingers crossed I've got the theory right...

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, Toad16v said:

20210509_215040

On 5/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, Toad16v said:

20210501_135305

Lovin' the socks! :D I tend to end up ones that match my sons, so dinosaurs, dragons, things like that.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

Lovin' the socks! :D I tend to end up ones that match my sons, so dinosaurs, dragons, things like that.

Haha. I don't normally wear socks in their pairs. Currently enjoying fluorescent socks.

After being impressed with the taniya semi slicks on my xv01, I bought a set for the tt01e. Took it out in the street last week and it was awful. Absolutely dire, crashed it into kerbs a number of times, harder and more often than before. The rear end had no grip. Tonight I pulled the rear end apart, swapped the rear diff for another one with a little more AW grease in it (maybe a mistake) and fitted the adjustable upper arms. I also noticed that the rubber diaphragms were a bit hard in the shocks when I filled them with 500 weight oil, so I stripped and replaced these.

I adjusted the rear arms to give about 1 degree of rear camber, less than before with the hope that this would give it more rear grip. My test run didn't seem to demonstrate that. Boo.

Going to wait till it is light and warmer and give it another go.