hedge

The Grasshopper

I think the Grasshopper was my second Tamiya after my Sandrover... This was a long time ago and I could be wrong. What I do remember though is that I got it at Christmas and my mate - let’s call him Dave - Dave and me went to a place local to him and ragged our Christmas presents ragged. “Ready for poor description :-)”  There was this bank which was about 3ft/1m high and you could jump up it or down it. Up landed on mud, roughly at the same height as the bank, down on to tarmac 1m down. whenever I think if the Grasshopper, it’s that day and only that day that comes to mind. I don’t remember running it at any other time - which is weird as I def would have kept it for at least a year. 

Anyhow I keep looking at them on eBay and what gets me is that second hand built ones with various broken bits seem to go for more than the new inbox ones? I don’t get it, in my mind £50 should be the level they are at yet more often I see them at £100+ ? I don’t get it. Anyway maybe I’ll crumble and get one again but for now at least just getting this off my chest is keepin the “buy it now” at bay. Love the look, love the memories of me and “Dave” but feel the reality will be a little less exciting.

This is not meant to sway your decision, but I can tell you that, at least in my opinion, the Grasshopper is just as "exciting" to drive nowadays as it was back then, especially when you've upgraded it to modern electronics. Obviously it's not going to win any races on handling, especially over rough stuff, but it's still a fun car to bash around with.

The broken used cars on Ebay are probably "originals" and likely command a higher value to certain collectors than the new cars in boxes, which are probably re-releases. The reres are still available from many places online, so they're not considered as "desirable" as the originals. (But they're still just as much fun!)

• Like 2