Sign in to follow this  
MontyMole

Weird whining noise in my brushed motor

Hi everyone,

for my Terra Scorcher, I've repurposed a Torque Tuned motor coming from my other TT-02B. Back when I tried the electronics, the motor gave a not very nice squealing noice, so I decided to give it a spray of WD-40 on both ends of the rotor, where presumably the bushings are. The noises went away, but not even three batteries in, they are back, and I suspect they are the reason my car stopped running all of a sudden. What is the best way to cleanup and mantain closed bell motors such as this?

The bearings are dry. WD40 is not actually a lubricant, it will provide lubrication for a short while, but it's mainly used for unseizing rusty things. I'd suggest take out the motor, stand it upright, and put a couple of drops of light oil where the bush meets the motor shaft, and leave overnight to soak in, then turn the motor and repeat with the other end. 

• Thanks 1

I use WD40 to thoroughly clean bearings off vintage RC cars and to clean/lightly lube my tools after use.  For lubing bearings I use a thicker synthetic oil made for bearings and bushings called Liberty Oil.  

• Thanks 1