Sign in to follow this  
Toad16v

Blue Pearl effect paint.

Evening. I'm looking to build a replica of my old vw corrado. I have the shell ordered from Kamtec and I need to sort out the paint now. The easy choice would be to replicate my candy white vr6, but I'd really like to build something close to my old, blue 16v.

The paint on it was a less common factory paint called blue pearl effect. Looked dark blue, but depending on the sun could move from green to purple.

I think I can match the basic blue with something like ps59, but can I put that on top of something to give a pearl effect to the paint?

Also, it had a glass sunroof - technically a moonroof from a passat. I assume I can just get some smoke paint to replicate that in the roof?

Any ideas welcome!

Here is one in the correct colour. 

2021-05-03_08-09-48

Not my car but I'm pretty certain it is my vr6 behind it.

Could you do a base layer of Tamiya PS-58 (Pearl Clear), then your chosen colour?

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:15 PM, Badcrumble said:

Could you do a base layer of Tamiya PS-58 (Pearl Clear), then your chosen colour?

Would be my best guess to achieve the desired results..  then follow up with PS-59 Dark Metallic Blue.  Just be sure to go light on the pearl as it can tend to collect in places like corners if you aren't careful and leave a bit of cloudy film.  

• Like 1