Sign in to follow this  
Tizer

More FF01's! Carbon fibre upgrades

As mentioned a while ago I'm also jumping on the FF01 bandwagon. I've been a fan for years and I've had two FF01's so far. One completely standard (and brand new) and another with a HPI racing tub chassis, white suspension arm set and some aluminium bits around it. In August last year I received another one I bought a few months before in Japan with a HPI carbon fibre double deck chassis and some more upgrades. I took it out of the box for an unboxing video on my YouTube channel, took a few photo's and back in the box in went until now.

When I saw the CTE carbon fibre + 3D printed parts for the front and rear shocktower and rear bulkhead I thought it would make for a great upgrade for my FF01's. Since I work at Shapeways the printing of the parts was easy as it didn't need to be shipped. Now I'm just waiting for the Fibrelyte parts to arrive. 

This is the car I'm going to upgrade in this build thread, my HPI Racing carbon fibre FF01. It is used, but in really good condition. The plastic parts are not cracked in the common area's like the front shocktowers etc. It also has a set of pink Tamiya dampers installed and a aluminium motor cooler. I haven't peaked inside the gearbox to see what gears and diff are in it.

The body is in great condition without any cracks, but unfortunately the fluorescent paint has started flaking off. A common problem with PS fluorescent colours. Not sure what to do with the body yet. The wheels will go ofcourse as the tires are shot and the rims are scratched and cracked.

img%5D

09-B0002-1.jpg

09-B0022-1.jpg

09-B0016-1.jpg

09-B0017-1.jpg

And here's my other FF01 with the HPI Racing bathtub chassis, white bits and my own design toe-in rear knuckles printed in white SLS nylon (versatile plastic from Shapeways), polished and clearcoated to keep them nice and white. Picture was taken before I added the knuckles though :D 

DSC-0200-1.jpg

• Like 10

wow thats nice. really like the carbon chassis.

Not owning a FF01, but FF03 and great cars.

any chance you could scan these carbon parts :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

wow thats nice. really like the carbon chassis.

Not owning a FF01, but FF03 and great cars.

any chance you could scan these carbon parts :D

More than happy to borrow it to someone or scan it if a replica can be made :) It would also help me make extras for runner cars. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tizer said:

Since I work at Shapeways

:o That explains some of the magic, at least :P And "magic" is the word for these fine FF-01s! I can hardly wait to see it all underway.

Thanks for the tip on clear-coating the white plastic, too - I have plenty of use for that, and I like that better than just throwing white paint on it.

Best of luck with the rebuild!

Here's the @ThunderDragonCy printed parts layed out. 2x front shocktower (will probably put one on the other car too) but only 1 of the rear braces as I have the aluminium brace on the other car. I left the parts white for now, but will probably dye them black for the runner car to match with the other parts on it. I have a ton of other TA02/FF01 upgrades so let's see what will end up on this car.

DSC02882-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Grastens said:

Thanks for the tip on clear-coating the white plastic, too - I have plenty of use for that, and I like that better than just throwing white paint on it.

Best of luck with the rebuild!

Yeah the SLS nylon is quite porous, so once you get some oil or other stains on it you can't fix it anymore. The clearcoat really helps and allows you to clean it. And thanks!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tizer said:

More than happy to borrow it to someone or scan it if a replica can be made :) It would also help me make extras for runner cars. 

If you're scanning the carbon parts, can you also scan the fibreglass parts from the HPI tub chassis? I have the tub (came in a job lot I bought years ago) but not the 2 frp parts that make up the top deck and battery holder. I have a sheet of black frp and I'd love to get it restored so I can make it into a full chassis again. 

3 hours ago, Tizer said:

That the idea :oD

• Like 1

I like that CF chassis. Looks great!

• Like 1

Your cars are great! The carbon double deck has so much style :wub:

You could put it on a copier and save the image on a usb stick. I could draw it in CAD and then share the files here.

Please more detail pictures of your beauties ;)

• Like 3