Sign in to follow this  
Prospek

How to slow down a Comical Avante for kids. Not using D/R

Hi All, 

I have just build my little boy a comical Avante and I want to let him loose with it in the back yard. Issue is he is still only 3 years old so I would like to basically be able to keep it at crawler pace until he is a bit older.

I am using the Tamiya ESC and silver can motor with a Dumbo RC TX. Using the dual rate dial doesn't really work as the minimum end point on the throttle D/R is still sort of high meaning it still goes at a slow jogging pace and the reverse function stops working. 

Any tips to slow it down? Is there a way to do it with resistors to the motor that can then be easily removed?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

55-65 turn crawler motor. Cheap, easily changed back to the stock motor when he's ready...

^^^this

How about a 5-cell, 6V battery instead of the typical 6-cell 7.2V stick (or, shudder to think, a LiPo)? Then there's no need to change motors, and Dad can still bomb around with the fast battery once Junior has had his fun with the slow one :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markbt73 said:

55-65 turn crawler motor. Cheap, easily changed back to the stock motor when he's ready, won't do anything funny to the ESC like resistors might.

This will do: https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-e0003.htm

My son is 4yo and I have done the 55T for his Mad Bull and Fighter Buggy. Works great for us but it is way faster then crawler speed. Your dual rate will fix this.

I'll give the 55t a go and then hopefully should be able slow it down with D/R if needed while keeping reverse functional.

Actually you can use a plastic bearing or something similar taped behind the trigger to block the trigger from getting pulled all the way.  

Being a toddler I suggest you make sure he does not swallow it though.  Use zip tires or something to reinforce.  Have fun.