Hi All!

Newbie here!

I bought a Sand Rover about 10 years ago and have only just got round to building it!

The kit did NOT include a ESC so I purchased that a few weeks ago, along with an extra servo and Carson RC controller. 

Now, I might be missing something here, or things might have come on a bit since I last built one of these kits, but I can't see where the forward and reverse servo goes. There's nothing in the instruction manual to show it, and there isn't any kind of metal 'throttle' piece in the kit that the servo connects to, like I have in my 90s Blitzer Beetle.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as my 4 year old is becoming very impatient as to why the car isn't finished yet (yeah, yeah, it's my toy really...) :-D

Thanks in advance!

The ESC is an Electronic Speed Controller, this does away with the old Mechanical speed controller and servo. You should only have 

1) Receiver

2) Front steering servo

3) ESC

4) Battery

Hi hedge,

Yep got all those bits (plus an extra servo that I thought I needed, but didn't - never mind...)

Amazing. Just unplugged the servo and but the ESC into channel 2 and it's up and running!

Thanks a lot for your reply and help :-)

One other thing - what happens with 'bands' these days?  On my old acomes controllers I had those little coloured rectangles you'd slot in with a Band 2 (red) Band 6 (blue) etc...has all that changed too?

Thanks again!

Most kit is 2.4ghz, there are a few ways it works depending on what you've got. Simple ones scan the 2.4ghz range when the Transmitter is switched on, when they find 2 clear channels they save them, then when you turn on the Receiver it locks onto those two channels. More advanced  systems constantly switch from channel to channel only ever selecting it if its clear and available. All this happens in the blink of an eye. This negates the need to hard wire the channel - aka putting crystals in.

Christ! Things have really come on a lot! Feeling very old right now!

You certainly know your stuff though.

Thanks again for replying and sharing the knowledge ;)

If you have a spare servo now I think that means you need to buy another kit to put that in 😄

5 hours ago, ploots said:

If you have a spare servo now I think that means you need to buy another kit to put that in 😄

That....is a very good point! Shame to waste a servo :D

• Haha 1