toyolien

Help with painting Willy. What did I do wrong?

@Willy iine Sorry, but not much of a reply to your most informative post I'm afraid. However, I have tried your method of applying cement and holding the head halves together with my fingers rather than a tight clamp. The results were much better that with a clamp. I witnessed the cement being forced out of the joint, and then applied pressure where needed. I then left it over night and the following day was able to sand the joint without the need of using any filler. I'm much happier with this method.

Unfortunately, with regards to the painting, this is going to have to wait for a while. We've sold our house, and are desperately looking for another so most of my RC stuff is now packed up in boxes. Rest assured though, as soon as I can I'll return to your post and try your method of painting. I'll let you know the results.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:13 AM, toyolien said:

@Willy iine Sorry, but not much of a reply to your most informative post I'm afraid. However, I have tried your method of applying cement and holding the head halves together with my fingers rather than a tight clamp. The results were much better that with a clamp. I witnessed the cement being forced out of the joint, and then applied pressure where needed. I then left it over night and the following day was able to sand the joint without the need of using any filler. I'm much happier with this method.

Unfortunately, with regards to the painting, this is going to have to wait for a while. We've sold our house, and are desperately looking for another so most of my RC stuff is now packed up in boxes. Rest assured though, as soon as I can I'll return to your post and try your method of painting. I'll let you know the results.

Hey no problem. Hope your move goes smoothly!  

Update:  I just got done base coating a new Willy helmet so took a close up.  This is TS5 with cement joint only.  No putty was used.   (Helmet facing left)
IMG_May152021at103345AM.thumb.jpg.0d4715746304f98535428821d51272ae.jpg