mcvwuk

Recommend a radio/handset

Hi,

I'm looking for a basic handset for use with a DT-02 (sand viper) which has the standard radio gear. I've used this handset before (pic below) and like the way it feels etc - though I'm thinking it's probably overkill (given all the trims on it etc). Could anybody recommend a handset similar to this that isn't going to break the bank :)

image.png.1c60a671fe9ae35787a095c134af695f.png

Thanks,

Mike

Flysky is a good shout. If you want to use your existing receiver though, you might want to look for one of those 27MHz Finespec transmitters as supplied with XB models. They ought to cost next to nothing. I generally just give them away when they come my way. 

• Like 1

Whats wrong with overkill? 🤷‍♂️

I got my daughter the Absima CR3P, mainly as it % EPA, which is a must for kids imo, but also means you can go overkill on a motor ,and dial it back a notch.

Do you folks outside USA see Spektrum as an economy radio?   I use that on my non serious driving cars and trucks mainly because the receivers are cheap and have been very reliable.  (I was also a JR Propo user so it kind of makes sense).  They have a good series of economy transmitters as well. 

As Frog Jumper mentioned above, I also often hear FlySky as a good economical option too. 

• Like 1

Another vote here for the Flysky GT5 & FS BS6 here. Multi model and customisable Gyro to tame off road bumps and jumps or speed runs 

• Like 1

FlySky tx/rx are reliable and cheap enough that I can buy each car its own transmitter, which makes intra-family racing easier.

I have not had good luck with spektrum receivers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mrowka said:

FlySky tx/rx are reliable and cheap enough that I can buy each car its own transmitter, which makes intra-family racing easier.

I have not had good luck with spektrum receivers.

My kid's ECX Amp kit came with a free Spektrum electronics.  Its working great so far, but it does say a lot that the Tx and ESC/Rx combo are included for free in a $120 kit (along with a battery).

That said, I always buy the FlySky Rx's two at a time.  I've had a couple that would never bind...  

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

My kid's ECX Amp kit came with a free Spektrum electronics.  Its working great so far, but it does say a lot that the Tx and ESC/Rx combo are included for free in a $120 kit (along with a battery).

That said, I always buy the FlySky Rx's two at a time.  I've had a couple that would never bind...  

Terry

Perhaps I am lucky with FlySky and unlucky with Spektrum then.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mrowka said:

Perhaps I am lucky with FlySky and unlucky with Spektrum then.

I guess that means I'm lucky too... all of my FlySky gear works flawlessly :ph34r:

• Like 2

Hummmm... The only receiver issue I had was with those old gyro equipped one that just would not caliberate correctly.  Binding was no problem.   Spektrum gave me a different receiver without the gyro because I never wanted that feature, it just came with one of the radio's.   I own probably 25-30 receivers by Spektrum (2 to 4 ch) and they all work fine.    

But definitely use what you folks are comfortable with.  

• Like 2

I usually use Tamiya or Futaba radios but I recently bought a FlySky GT5. Solid radio with lots of features. Also, I don’t need to file a budget exception form with the wife when purchasing extra receivers to put in my cars. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks guys, i just bought a flysky gt2 and rcvr locally. Should get to try them next week :)

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 6:45 AM, Willy iine said:

Do you folks outside USA see Spektrum as an economy radio?   I use that on my non serious driving cars and trucks mainly because the receivers are cheap and have been very reliable.  (I was also a JR Propo user so it kind of makes sense).  They have a good series of economy transmitters as well. 

As Frog Jumper mentioned above, I also often hear FlySky as a good economical option too. 

I like to buy spektrum sets from ebayers who part out Arrma Infraction V2 and Arrma Felony RTRs.  The TX/RX set includes AVC and I often see them go for under $70 for the set.  Its great value and you have an adjustable gyro built in! 

• Like 2