I recently purchased a Tamiya Tt-02 D, Drift spec R33 GTR. But I see builds out there with working headlights and taillights, some even have speakers with engine sounds and exhaust pipes that light up.  This may be my first build but I want to do those sort of things with my car. I really do but don't know where to look to buy these things. I also don't know where to buy the paint I want to use on the body. I want it to look the Lightning Yellow 400R, though I don't know what kind of paint to use. Does anyone know any of the parts I should look into or what paint to buy so I don't mess it up and get a paint that wont work on the plastic?

CcZN26XW8AAnt4F.jpg

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't know where you get the kit from but normally those shops also sell the paint (must be Tamiya PS paint or something similar for poly carbonate body shells) and light kits. For the specific colour you want you will probably have to test a bit to find the right composition of main and backing colours as the original car colours don't exist for painting RC poly carbonate bodies. 

that is a nice yellow GTR pic you are going after. i got one also, that exact kit. that also was my first build in the RC hobby. the shell is a bit more of a shelf queen as i value the paint job even thought the body is reinforced... i like seeing others who choose to run a R33 body shell on their RCs

for the yellow you re looking at it might be PS6 yellow, PS 42 translucent yellow or PS 56 mustard yellow depending on color tone. you can try non polycarbonate paints but its a personal choice in the end.

i also have a solution for the exhaust pipes that you might be able to use: metal straws. i bought some to put on the TT02D but never got around to modding a mount. if you can find a small enough LED light it might be able to fit into the straws inner diameter

IMG_4462a.jpg

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't know where you get the kit from but normally those shops also sell the paint (must be Tamiya PS paint or something similar for poly carbonate body shells) and light kits. For the specific color you want you will probably have to test a bit to find the right composition of main and backing colours as the original car colours don't exist for painting RC poly carbonate bodies. 

I think Ill Do this color, looks the most like what I'm going for

image.thumb.png.004c08e4889a0d7bf567159b26c6d565.png

that PS 19 looks close to the one you want, it should turn out nicely. i would suggest some YT vid research on the painting process as the very first layer can only really be a fine mist to prevent the paint from running. try to build up the color with 3-5 layers of yellow then 2-3 of a backing color. do take care of spraying the body for the front hood lip as getting the paint in that crack might be annoying, same for the raised edges of the trunk and the main air/front grill. its the same for the rear tail light inserts but if you plan to put a light kit then makesure to mark off the areas good or maybe tint the clear light areas if you want a dark shaded light effect.

Light kits available on eBay for about £10 - 15 depending on how many LEDs you want.

I've found amain hobbies a good source of scale parts, i.e the intercooler and also mesh sticker, exhausts etc.

Watch this video then message Werner. His light controller is far superior than the ones on ebay but requires some work on your part; soldering your own LED bulbs, etc. I am currently using his light controller and the features are impeccable.