catman79

Chroming of plastic parts?

Hi all, trying to restore a clod buster, the chrome finish has come off most of the chrome parts, is there anyone that can re chrome these or what ever it’s called? I have seen chrome paint advertised, but wondered if anyone knows how Tamiya actually do it and if any one can do it? 

you could always try a plating company close to you but it may be expensive plus if the plastic is old it could be brittle and may get damaged in the process

but try and find a platers that do small stuff 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, catman79 said:

Hi all, trying to restore a clod buster, the chrome finish has come off most of the chrome parts, is there anyone that can re chrome these or what ever it’s called? I have seen chrome paint advertised, but wondered if anyone knows how Tamiya actually do it and if any one can do it? 

Try to search for Molotow liquid chrome pen. You will be amazed with the result. Their paint can be also airbrushed, but I never tried. For your reference, a wheel painted by such pen:

11533989-436E-4D19-9752-2E686EA97E61.thumb.jpeg.e0c2832999f5330ee51b610c59d9d3ac.jpeg

• Like 3

From the looks of it electro plating of plastic is quite involved, and from past enquiries very expensive.  This page seems to give a good overview of the process

https://www.vacuum-metalizing.com/plastic-chrome-plating/

If you can get away with fwdjump's suggestion then go for it.  Personal experience of cheap "chrome spray" left a LOT to be desired, virtually indistinguishable from just silver paint, but seems that this pen one's giving pretty decent results.

• Like 1

cheers guys, 

have to say i might give the pen one a go, that looks pretty decent!

There's a company in the UK called ChromeClad (I think) who spray a chrome finish on like water but results are brilliant. 

Alclad chrome is good. You need a black very smooth basecoat and low pressure airbrush light coats. If the base is not good neither will the topcoat, but if you get it right it can look great. There are some metal foil products that look good. They are like gold leaf but are tricky to apply 

The Molotow chrome paint pens are worth a try, they are suprisingly good. They're also cheap enough get one to just try out.

The image is a headlight for my Alfa Mito, painted on polycarbonate with Molotow chrome paint pen. It looks as good as any other chromed plastic I've seen.

IMG_1343.jpg

• Like 2

cheers guys, i have just bitten the bullett and ordered the pen! fingers crossed! ill post results once i have done it