Here's a tradition I want to import from a forum I previously posted on.  Actually, from around 2014 to the start of 2020, a regular highlight of my week was waiting for the Friday Thread to appear so I could post up my plans for the weekend.  Partly I suppose for vanity's sake, partly out of a desire to be seen and recognised (even more important now in a world where so much of our lives goes on behind closed doors out of sight of our friends and peers), partly because it actually helps me stop, think about and mentally prepare for what I'm going to do so I can hit the ground running.  But, also, because it's nice to know what other people are up to and maybe learn more about my Tamiyaclub friends, who I have neglected a little of late.

Also I appreciate that not everybody works the five-day 9-5 grind so many of you might be working over the weekend, or you may well be living in parts of the world where the weekend brings no more freedoms than the rest of the week, if you aren't allowed to leave your homes or go to work.

With that in mind - what are you all up to this weekend?

Oh, what am I up to?  Nice of you to ask :)

Friday

I'm working from home until around 4:30-ish today, with a little break in the middle to visit the osteopath.  My back went out on Monday morning and I've been in constant pain ever since, so it will be good to at least start the road to recovery.

After work I'm free to do what I want.  I haven't really decided what I'll do yet.  My back will need a few more days to recover so I won't be doing any cycling or riding my motorcycle to the coast, even if the weather looks acceptable.  I can't really afford to drive the van to the coast as I need to save the fuel money for Carlisle at the end of the month.  Instead I might go through all my off-road runners and catalog them ready for the Junkies meet in a few weeks, or I might sit down in my studio and try to finish off some really old music projects.

Saturday

Every Saturday I spend the entire day with my daughter.  That said, it's also the day I do some household chores.  I've got to prep a slow-cooker meal, and I desperately need to clean the kitchen before it develops sentience and moves out on its own.  My back won't be fit for crawling around on the floor or chasing toddlers around the house, and the weather forecast is atrocious, so a day of sitting back on the sofa and watching Disney films beckons.  If we get a dry spell I might take her out for a walk in the woods.

After bedtime, the world is my oyster, provided I don't leave the signal radius of the baby monitor.  I'll tell myself I'll stay sober and work on my novel, but in reality I'll probably drink beer and watch TV, which is my normal MO for a Saturday evening.

Sunday

Technically it's my day off, but I've got a huge stack of DIY that isn't going to do itself, so I might start the day by making the side desk for my new home office.  Assuming that doesn't take all day, I'll finish cataloging my off-road runners for the Junkies meet and give them all a once-over to make sure they're running.  No point wasting precious van space taking broken cars with me.  I'll probably come away from that experience with a huge list of parts I need to get everything ready.  I'll be rolling straight into Sunday evening, so assuming I'm not still buried under side desk installations and RC collection cataloging I'll be cracking open a cool beverage and sitting down in the studio to write up some progress reports on Tamiyaclub and work on some music.

Have yourselves a great weekend :) 

• Like 7

Friday:  Few hours of work, then enjoy the rest of the rainy day watching Bad Batch and maybe working on the Iron Frog...

Saturday:  We live on a circle (Lookout Loop) of about 20 houses and we are having our annual BBQ Block Party this weekend, ie the "Lookout Cookout".  I'm planning on charging all my batteries and letting the kids bash in the street...

Sunday:  Early morning at the lake - my son has open water swimming practice.  Then a lazy day at the pool (opening weekend!) followed by dinner with Mom and my wife and kids...

Terry

• Like 3

Friday: Soldering the electronics on my RC10 B6.3D in my friend's garage.

Saturday: Participating in my first club race.

Sunday: Laundry

• Like 3

Nice initiative! 

Friday 

It's time to cycle turntables (the joy of having old stuff is that they get broken if they don't see fairly regular use,) so out goes the Garrard 401 and the Beogram 8002 and in comes the Beogram 4000 and Beogram 3000 (which is a Thorens td124 mk2.) Then it's a late dinner whilst we listen to some music. Knowing myself I'll have two beers tops, then start to nod off. 

Saturday 

I need to get on my bike. Either the cx for some gravel exploration, or the trail bike and head for the forest. After that I'm going to a record store for the first time since November on account of this whole covid debacle. So I'm really looking forward to meet up with a couple of friends and go crate digging, even though we'll probably have to go through a shower squirting hand sanitiser top to bottom before we're allowed to enter, but no matter. 

Sunday 

Hopefully get decals on the Clod body and have a session with the TXT2 in the garden. Knowing myself sunday evening will be spent working in a fruitless attempt at getting a head start on the work week. 

• Like 1

Friday: I went out last night, so probably just a quite one reading. I've starting reading the book series Malazan Book of the Fallen which are pretty epic, over 1000 pages per novel, and it's a ten novel series, so that has kept me going. I read a lot, not that anyone could tell from my writing. 

Saturday: Tidy the house and work as I'm a little behind.

Sunday: See Saturday

• Like 1

To explain the weekend plans, I need to start yesterday. We have adopted another rescue dog, another pug, and my wife flew down to Los Angeles to get her yesterday, and flew back last night. Her name is Ripley, she's about 8 years old, and while not what they call "special needs," she is recovering from some fairly major surgery to repair a gigantic hernia on her belly. So she needs a bit of extra care while she heals. She's a total sweetheart, and gets along well with our other dog, so life is good so far.

1196458434_ScreenShot2021-05-07at12_13_30PM.png.67d25e315378b86ea1c39f8edab602f6.png

So...

Friday: My wife took Ripley to work with her. When we all get home, we'll probably just spend some more time with her and our other dog, Leeloo, getting them acquainted and settled in.

Saturday: we take them both to the vet for checkups. WHen we get home, I need to wash the cars (assuming it's not raining), mow the grass (ditto), and if I have time, work on finishing the re-wire job on my MGB. Just a few things left to do; it runs and drives, but has no windshield wipers...

Sunday: don't know. More dog stuff, more chores, probably.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I've starting reading the book series Malazan Book of the Fallen which are pretty epic

ooh, good shout, I'm almost finished reading Crowfall, 3rd book in the Raven's Mark series by Ed McDonald, and I've been looking for something else to read.  I've been reading a lot of modern fantasy recently and found much of it to be a bit samey, but I bought a digital copy of Blackwing after I spoke with Ed McDonald at the Golancz Festival in London in 2019, and I've been completely blown away.  Absolutely grimdark, my wife tried reading book 1 and gave up after a few chapters because it was too dark, but I thought it was fab.

That said, I've been desperate to read a bit more epic fantasy - so much modern stuff is a bit short and lacking the depth of proper epic fantasy.  I've just had a read up on the Malazan series and it might be what I need to move onto in the next couple o fdays :)

One added bonus of this thread is that when I woke up at 6 and was tempted to go back to sleep I knew I might as well jump on the bike because I'd written here that I would. So I've had a couple of hours on the bike and watched the Bad Batch (thanks for the heads up @Frog Jumper!)

A batch of masks in my pocket it's time to hit the record stores. 

• Like 2

Another Friday is upon us - what is everybody up to this weekend?

I'm playing it by ear a little bit.

Today

Work.  Big release due next week and some fairly urgent bugs still to resolve.  Try to book a dentist appointment as I've had toothache since June last year and it's starting to get worse.

Tonight

Slightly unsure, wife is planning a trip to Blackpool to meet some friends on the beach for a birthday celebration, but it's a 9-hr round trip, the weather is looking a bit iffy, and we're not supposed to meet other households indoors until Monday so if it rains it will be a wasted trip.  Plus the Covid forecast in that part of the country isn't too good either.

So - if the wife goes out, the child and I will eat pizzas and watch films and then I'll spend the night working on music or fiction or possibly crack on getting some cars ready for the Junkies meet if the parts turn up.

If the wife doesn't go out then I'll probably take the camper out to the hills, do some writing while I watch the sunset, take the Cherokee for a twilight run around the woods, then come home late and have late pizza and watch TV.

Saturday

Prep a pie for the slow cooker, do some housework and spend the day with my daughter.  Weather looks dodgy so probably stay home, watch Disney films, play with the Brio trains and practice driving the FTX Outback Mini-X.  Put a few coats of wax on some wooden baton for a desk I need to fit on Sunday.

Saturday Night

Slow cooker pie and bedtime stories, then either kick back and watch one of the films on my very long Netflix list or go in the studio and do some music or writing.

Sunday

Supposedly a Workshop Sunday, I still need to fit the side-desk in my new home office so I'll do that first.  Need to weld some nuts onto some washers, hopefully the welder (which hasn't been used in years) still works and the wire hasn't gone rusty or it could seriously hamper my day.

Then (hoping the parts arrive today or tomorrow) I've got a host of minor fixes to do on my off-road fleet ready for the Junkies meet at month end, plus new control motors to fit into the Iconic Cup cars.  Probably won't have time for much else after that so...

Sunday Night

In the studio, doing some mastering work - try to work out if I should completely remaster my last official album from 2011 ready for a proper commercial release later this year, or if I should remaster the follow-up album which should have been released in 2018, or if I should just focus on the material for the all-new album I could probably release later this year if I crack on and finish it.

Have a great weekend :) 

• Like 1

Nothing very exciting for me, rostered on for my last 3 night shifts Friday, Saturday, Sunday. 
But I have been  sketching some doddles stirring up the grey matter for some paint job ideas on the Fighting Buggy. 

• Like 1

Friday:  few hours of work then take my son and his swim team buddy to a swim meet in the next town over.  I'll spend the time after dropping them off going another hour west to Anderson RC to check them out.  Also, find a good burger...

Saturday:  few hours of work in the yard and then lazy day at the pool.  My son has his swim meet this day too, but his buddy's mom is driving.  Carpool...  I need to find time to try and fix the pool's leaf blower.  The lifeguards ripped the cord out of it.  Also, find a good burger...

Sunday:  sleep in and hang out.  Try to play with my cars.  Also, find a good burger...

Terry

@Frog Jumper you only have 3 good burgers on your list for this weekend.

Burgers are my all-time #1 favourite food that isn't pizza.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

@Frog Jumper you only have 3 good burgers on your list for this weekend.

Burgers are my all-time #1 favourite food that isn't pizza.

Man can't live on burgers alone.  He must eat tacos every once in a while...

This is on the menu for tonight's dinner:  https://kearneysdrivein.com/

Terry

• Haha 2

Today: At work, and I have Ripley with me at the office. She's being a brat, whining and yipping at the door, but I can't let her wander around the office, because she always wants to go out any door. Our front door opens onto one of the busiest streets in the city, so that would be bad. Not getting a whole lot of work done.

Tonight: Don't know. Probably not much. More Juipter's Legacy on Netflix, probably.

Tomorrow: I have to take a bunch of stuff in the woodshed to the dump. I'm excited about this, only because I get to use my truck. I love driving my truck. I also have a fresh sheet of plywood to cut into a top for my hobby workbench, to replace the flimsy sheet of particle board that is on there currently. The leftover plywood will become more shelves for finished RC and model cars; I'm running out of places to put shelves, but there are still a few spots. I'd like to paint the workbench top and the shelves too, if there's time.

I also told my wife I would tidy up the two workbenches in the garage. She says it's a mess out there, and she's right. That project will probably spill over into Sunday.

• Like 1

Didn't get to post what i was doing: too busy doing it.

Spent the evening in my Loft Workshop making the templates for my various bits and pieces of Carbon Fibre bits i want to make so I get the most efficient use of what I have.

• Like 1

Its Friday again - and looks like its going to be yet another weekend of absolutely dismal weather. Im off work today as I have to use up any carried over annual leave or lose it and was hoping to do some spraying of some bodies. Its so windy outside that i dont think the paint would even make the gap between the cans nozel and the body shell.

• Like 1

Yep, windy as anything here in West Wilts today and been pouring with rain all day.  No body painting planned for this weekend!

Still, I've got an absolutely epic one planned.  Fingers crossed nothing gets in the way.  I'm not usually this pessimistic, but the events of the last 15 months have taught me to take nothing for granted :o 

Anyway, the wife's trip to Blackpool last weekend didn't go ahead because she got the dates wrong.  Which means she's going this weekend instead :D  I refrained from posting so far, because I was waiting for her to cancel, or the weather forecast to change, or something to go wrong, which happens very often when my wife plans a trip away, but she finally left about 20 minutes ago and so far she hasn't come back, so fingers crossed she has actually gone.  She won't be in Blackpool until around 8pm and at that point she'll be at least 4 hours away, which means I've got 4 hours advance notice to clean up all the beer cans and takeaway cartons and hide away all the new Tamiya boxes that I got from the LHS.

Jokes aside - this is how my weekend is planning out:

Friday

Finish work in 5 mins (or, probably, -5 mins by the time I've written this), load the child into the van and drive her to the mother-in-law's place.  It's about an hour away but could take longer in all this rain.  Then who knows?  I'll take my scalers with me, because I'll be 10 minutes away from one the regions best scaling spots, but the weather doesn't look like clearing up and I'm not sure I fancy a night tramping around in the rain with a 60 minute drive home to look forward to.

I had considered heading down to the coast for some fish and chips but probably not do that for the same reason.

So - probably just come straight home, order a takeaway, drink some beers and work on my novel.

Saturday

House to myself for the first time since pre-pandemia.  Might go out for an early-morning walk in the hills.  Grab some M8 nuts so I can finish putting the side-desk in my office, then spend the rest of the day finishing all the little jobs that need doing before I go off to Tamiya Junkies in a week's time.

Depending on what time I finish and what the weather's doing, the world is my oyster.  I could ride the motorcycle to the coast, go for a walk, go out for a meal, go cycling...  I haven't had this much freedom in as long as I can remember!

I'll probably drink beer and watch films.

Sunday

Wake up early, put a mushroom strog in the slow cooker.  The wife isn't planning to be home until later on Sunday, so I've got the morning to finish my RC sorting and boxing and maybe go out to the woods for a quick solo crawl and some cross-country exercise.  Then just generally make the most of the time until she comes home.

Then down to the mother-in-law's to rescue the child, then probably a lazy evening at home with the family.

Have a fab weekend, and if you can't do that, make it a worthwhile one :)

• Like 1

friday 

not a lot 

saturday

weekly trip to mother's then a trip to my lhs for supplies 

and the big thing for the weekend for me is eurovision song contest so a bottle or 2 of beer and a huge bag of peanuts and i am sorted

sunday 

to far away to decide yet:lol:

• Like 1

Today: Work. Got the dog with me again. At least she's bahaving herself this time (more or less). When I get home I'm going to try to get the plywood cut for my new workbench that I didn't get around to last week.

Saturday: Great things are afoot! I'm finally breaking ground on the scaler/crawler playground in my side yard. Going to rent a roto-tiller Saturday morning, and spend the day digging and de-weeding and shaping the ground into what I want. My wife said I can do anything I want, so long as it's "not ugly." Still working on plans, but here's where I'm at now...

802178264_ScreenShot2021-05-21at11_46_33AM.thumb.png.abb4381709d930bd1ad22512b007524c.png

The idea is to blend it into an existing garden that's off to the left, and probably plant some little ornamental shrubs or dwarf trees to disguise its true purpose a little bit. Probably won't get much farther than tilling/digging/shaping, but it's a start, anyway.

Sunday: I'd like to say more work on the scaler course, but more likely it'll be lying on the sofa covered in Icy-Hot and taking ibuprofen. These days I've got one good weekend day of manual labor in me, and that's about it.

• Like 1

No RC  again as my roster falls over the weekend still, but Friday I pulled up for a cuppa and watched the sun rise on my way our west...

8D0450F7-1F16-4445-A488-519F6910FF82.md.

Gotta take a minute to enjoy the little things sometimes 😉

• Like 4

The last couple of weekends I've been at the house in the forest working on a replacement for my cupboard of doom (where I store most of my rc parts.) Well, when I say working on a replacement what I really mean is that I've been sanding and using all sorts of wire brushes on one of my mums old dentist cabinets. It used to belong to my grandfather, then my mum had it in her dentist office, but the last 15 years it's been sat in a shed and gotten all sad, rusted and ugly. It won't be perfect, I won't be nickel plating and having it professionally resprayed. My grandfather bought it used when he set up his practice, so it's supposed to show some signs of its history. 

• Like 1

Been a while since I last posted in here, which is a shame since I've done some cool stuff recently, some RC but mostly not, including a soggy family camping weekend in Cornwall, another last-minute trip to Tamiya Junkies, some time at home playing the part of Domestic God because my wife had a stay in hospital (all out and on the mend now), and even a trip to Wales last weekend for a stag do.  With perhaps the world's most bizarre claim to fame, which @El Gecko will surely be interested in, the bass player from Gloryhammer was supposed to be going as well but had to cancel due to rehearsals, which meant there was a space at the pre-booked dinner table and I ate his chicken casserole.  So there you have it, I ate a rock god's dinner.  I feel no more rock-godly for it.

Anyway, stupid claims to fame aside, this weekend is a fairly quiet one.

Friday

WFH today.  Finish work at 5-ish, head up to the workshop for some panic-tidying - I haven't really been in there for weeks and still haven't packed away the camping gear from weeks ago, so I can barely move.  I need to clear the workbench so I can get the FF01 and M03 out for a quick once-over before Round 3 if the Iconic Cup on Sunday.

Hopefully there'll be some spare time to sip a beer and relax before bed.

Saturday

The wife is going to a hen do so I have the place to myself.  Take the daughter over to my sister's place to play with her cousins while I help out with some DIY.  Hopefully back in time to have a cuddle and watch a Disney film, and also introduce her to the wonders of chilli con carne, which she has never had because mummy refuses to eat it.

Pack the van after she's gone to bed, add a bit more hot sauce to the chilli, have a second helping and watch a film before an early night.

Sunday

Up before the sunrise for a quick jaunt across the country for Round 3 of the Iconic Cup at Stafford.  I've barely looked at the cars since Round 1 (I had to miss Round 2 due to my aforementioned last-minute wet holiday) but hopefully they'll run well enough.

Hopefully home in time to have a pizza and a beer before bed.

• Like 2

Not sure what will get done when, but this is my list for this weekend:

Fix the driving lights on my Corolla. Cheap no-name eBay units, and one of them has a loose connection inside. Only works if you jiggle the wire. Only $33, so I guess you get what you pay for (or don't, in this case).

Mow the &%$#$!! lawn again. The grass isn't that long, but the dandelions sure are. I hate having a lawn. I love having land, but nice lawns are stupid. That's why I keep ripping out grass and replacing it with garden plots.

Speaking of which, I need to get back to work on the scaler playground. It's sitting there with just weed barrier on the bare ground right now, time to get some rocks and stuff.

Paint the body for my Land Cruiser project. Trying to get at least that one done and off my workbench before I tear into the Bruiser.

Work on the MG's wiring (no, really, I mean it this time).

Wash the dogs.

Write another short article for DriveTribe, about the MG. It's turning 50 years old this month (build date 7/71) so it's time for a birthday post and update.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friday who says? well if it is really, then i guess i'm here right now.

If time could stand still for just a moment so the weeds can't grow i'd be the happiest human being on planet earth:lol:

• Haha 1

So, what you all up to this weekend?

According to the calendar, my wife is heading off to Plymouth for a couple of days with a friend, so I'm on my own with the daughter.  Today would be a work day, tonight I'd chill at home and work on my novel, tomorrow I'd take my daughter to the beach with her best friend, they could play together while me and her friend's dad race our buggies along the sand.  Then stop at a campsite for the night, just me and my daughter, have a nice meal in the site restaurant and a good sleep in the camper.  Then Sunday would be a barbecue at a friend's place.

So why all the "would" ?

Well, last Saturday I took my daughter to see her cousins for the first time since the pandemic started.  Turns out on of them had covid, so me and my daughter have to isolate until Tuesday.  I found that out Wednesday morning.

Then mid-morning Weds, before I'd got around to phoning nursery to say she wouldn't be coming in for a few days, they called us to say one of her nursery friends had covid on Tuesday so she must now isolate until next Friday.  Figuring I couldn't in good conscience put a 4-year-old in front of the TV for over a week while I continue to work from home, I took yesterday and today off work.

Lunchtime yesterday I got a call from my wife to say she has been pinged by the NHS app to say someone she was with on Saturday has tested positive and now she needs to isolate until Tuesday also.

We all had tests yesterday, results back tomorrow probably but no symptoms either, but apparently even if the test results are negative we still need to complete our mandatory isolation period.  And even once we're in the clear on Tues, our daughter still needs entertaining until next Friday, so one of us will have to take more unpaid leave.

So, what do you do when the world is falling apart and you're going to miss out on a few days wages?

Right - you go on modelsport and order a G-Made BOM!

So - updated weekend plan:

Today: entertain child, set up a monster truck course and let her chase the cars around the garden, go in the miniature hot tub, watch films, make play-doh things, etc...

Tonight: night off, might tidy the workshop and put the cars away from last week's race meet, then go in the studio and work on my novel or pick up that driving techno track I started on Tues.

Sat: another day of toddler entertainment, maybe make a chocolate cake.

Sat night: I might put the tent up in the garden so me and the child can have a camping weekend after all

Sun: workshop day - got loads to do before Revival in a fortnight, so crack on with that

Next week or so will be interesting as we watch for symptoms and count the days :s