4 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Yeah I am looking at it as my last hoorah before I hit the 40 year old mark and have to eventually settle for an electric car or some other sensible thing at some point.

I'm hoping to get the Transam on the road, while I can, although they've not gone up as much in value as the VXR8 has!

Aye, electric is on its way, with their GPS speed limiters and black box monitoring systems....😳😭 

4 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

But yeah the newer GTS-R are around £60-£75k 😳,

I'm sure it was the higher side of that price range, as I think it is #15 of the last 15 to be sold in the UK.

2020-05-07_10-09-53

• Like 2

We don't have those in the USA..  I think the new Caddy BlackWings are our version here..  

I'm not much of a sedan guy, but own 2 sedans because that is the only shape they come this generation..  

Friday.. started the day doing some house chores before work, played cajon in my new music room.  The acoustics is so good in this room, just the right amount of natural reverb and no annoying resonance.  Today is work day so probably won't get much of anything done, but after-hours I plan on doing some minor lighting tweaks on my music room.   I hope I get an email later today stating my work will extend the WFH to end of month.  Omicron is out of control in the USA.

Saturday.. start off with my usual weekend house chores and pressure up the tires on my daily drivers parked outside.  I will probably spend most of the day in my music room again, but plan on finally opening the XR311 kit box and check out what I need to do to prep the body for paint.  I also need to paint Willy's face/helmet who will drive my XR311.

I will finish up the WiFi hardware install in my garage my wife had me working on last weekend.  

Sunday..  Nothing planned, but I am sure my wife will have another list of honey-do's again..  will spend most of my day either in my RC shop or music room, or my den (piano lounge) relaxing.  I am just tired from all the moving and setup we did the last 6-7 weeks.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 1

Friday: Well, today is my 49th birthday. Almost done with work for the day, then heading home to homemade BBQ chicken pizza, and pecan pie. (Cake is so 2021.)

Saturday: Probably buying building materials for the stereo cabinet/LP rack that we're going to build in the living room. Maybe some other shopping/running around.

Sunday: Not a clue. Maybe building the stereo cabinet. Maybe something else. Oh, and probably giving the dogs a bath.

Somewhere in there, I need to install the dash cam I got for Christmas in my car, but that won't take long.

• Like 1

Hey Happy Birthday, @markbt73   Enjoy your b-day pecan pie.  You're going to torch the house down with 49 candles.. be careful!   ;) 

• Haha 1

Totally late to the party here, mostly because I didn't have much exciting stuff going on this weekend.  Friday was work day, couldn't even finish that early since the bank holiday Monday meant it was hard to stack up enough hours for an early finish, plus I kept taking time out of work all week to catch up on the epic amounts of washing that we didn't do over Christmas.

Friday afternoon I'd normally go for a walk but it was dark and raining, so I spent some time in the studio putting down some more ideas for some incidental music I'm writing for a works awards ceremony.

Saturday my daughter went to a school friend's birthday party, took me most of the morning to wrap the presents and sort out the outfit, so not much time for enjoying her company, then we were off to the party for 2 hours of shouting kids and forced fun (adults had to get involved in the games, too).  Then a 2 hour round trip to Bristol to drop my daughter at my parents place so she could have a sleepover with her cousins.  That meant a quiet house, so I added £6 worth of hop-ups to my £2 frozen pizza and watched a film on Netflix.  The pizza was overcheesed and the film was mediocre.

Sunday was Workshop Sunday, was supposed to be going to my parents for a meal but they cancelled it for reasons undisclosed (well reasons were disclosed but I'm not sure they were the real reasons), so I spent the day staring at my F150 tow truck build as if that would somehow solve the problems I'm having and turn it into a show-winning masterpiece; meanwhile I was also busy turning about £40 worth of compressed wood into environment-destroying gasses and asthma-inducing particulates so I could stare in comfort and not have to stare while cold and damp.  I did succeed in fitting the body onto the MTX-1, which I will count as a success.

After that I wasn't really sure how best to end the day, so I turned some cheap frozen food into a culinary masterpiece by means of smothering it in fried onions and garlic, some cajun seasoning and a large spoon of chilli sauce and washed it down with more beers than are good for my waistline or liver, tried and failed to make progress on some music projects, tried and failed to get embedded in editing a novel, and retired to the sofa to watch another episode of Altered Carbon before drawing a line under it all for another weekend.

Next weekend - first race meet of the year :) 

• Like 2

@Mad Ax  Sounds plenty exciting stuff to me.  :D   

You mentioned you have a studio and create music.  That's awesome.  I use to compose music in my teens and college days for fun, produced a few demo tracks for my friends too with my whopping  4 track cassette Akai mixer with SMPTE.   lol

I bought a new Jupiter-X this morning to celebrate the initial completion of my new music room.   I should have it in my hands tomorrow.  And my SV2 (stage piano) needs a new tube it looks like, so ordered that.  I was hoping it was something more simple, but crapped out again yesterday.  Not even 2 years old yet.   I open up keyboards and synths all the time to fix so no big deal.  Just a hassle.. well, I hope that fixes it.

@Willy iine I just had to look up Jupiter-X, that looks like a neat bit of kit.  I don't have that much hardware stuff any more, it was taking up too much space and I was predominately working with BuzzTracker (after using FastTracker II back in the mid-90s) and then Propeller Reason, none of which played nicely with external hardware, so I sold most of it on.  I've never had a Roland workstation but I did have a JX-3P with the optional programmer box for a while, tbh I never really played it that much and haven't missed it until I saw photos of the Jupiter-X.  I sold mine dirt cheap back in the mid-00s, I hate to think what it's worth now.  I used to have a Roland D-90 too, never really played much with that either, I loaned it to a friend and not long after we drifted apart, haven't spoken to him in well over a decade, no idea if he's still got it.  I also had a Roland JV-1010, which was a really nice sound module, I used it a lot at the end of the 90s when I was mostly using Cubase VST, before I got fed up with all that setting up the hardware every time I wanted to play a tune, and went back to my tracker roots with BuzzTracker.  The only external hardware I kept is a Yamaha EX-7, which I pretty much only use for the piano and organ sounds when jamming and as a master MIDI keyboard for recording, a Waldorf Pulse which has been boxed up ready to go on ebay for about 3 years, and a Korg MonoPoly, which is my prized possession, and recently came out of the storage case so I could jam on it again.

I got my first keyboard (a Yamaha PSS-570, I think) when I was 10 years old and instantly started cranking out my own tunes.  Stayed writing music as a mostly solo artist ever since.  In the late 90s I used some inheritance money and loads more credit to buy loads of expensive hardware so I could stop using "amateur" FastTracker II and start pretending to be pro.  I was convinced I'd be the next Orbital or Underworld.  Somehow I was convinced I was going to get picked up and given a contract despite never putting my work out or playing a single gig.

I think I started losing the love for it around 2010 when my girlfriend moved in and my free time diminished.  I've realised only in the last year or so that I really have no love for it any more.  I do it out of a sense of duty, because every now and then, when the stars align, I create a really good track and the addiction starts all over again.  Over-analysing it, as I always do, I enjoyed it a lot when the only rules I knew were time signatures and harmonies, the software was basic and my studio consisted of a Yamaha hi-fi amp and Wharfedale speakers (I still have both, in the workshop, with a 3.5mm jack plugged into the CD input so I can play music off my phone when I'm working up there).  Back then there were no compressors, EQs, filters, limiters, stereo expanders, reverbs or delays, and I had no knowledge of their purpose or even existence.  I just made tunes, and loved it.  It sounded great on my basic setup, and that's all that mattered.

Now I have Reason 11, with its full mixer deck, 8 send FX per channel, EQs, compression, sidechain processing, parallel processing, master bus processing, limiters and maximisers and all this stuff.  I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5s which are just big enough to be too  big for the desk space and just small enough to be too small for the bass.  Plus I no longer have a vehicle with a good sound system, and I'm not doing 2 hrs+ driving every day, which was where I did most of my mastering.  So for every tune that takes a month or a year to write, I know there's a month or a year of mixing and mastering to do, which I never finish because the only time I ever have to listen to the music is when I'm in the studio.  So, well, yeah, I keep trying to push myself back in there to do more stuff, but I can't say I have the love for it any more.  I was hoping this work project would help, I'll have to see if it comes to anything.

If only I could get around to finishing more stuff, I'd put it up on SoundCloud.  The majority of stuff on my profile is from 8 years ago.

There's an eclectic mix on there, but if you really want to understand my sound, it would have to be For Saskua, Starcrossed and Spellcaster.

The last album I ever finished it available in its entirety on SC:

What's your sound, and have you got anything online to share?

• Like 2

@Mad Ax  That's some cool stuff.  I've had a couple of the machines you noted in your post above.  I composed music a lot back in the late 1980's and 1990's and my genre was NewAge, but more melodic than ambient as my goal was to create scenic sound tracks for animation movies (for fun of course).  I made a vanity album on CD for souvenir (and to impress girls as I was even dumber back then, but had a small following of girls 'groupies' back then)  that I sold at a local book store and was picked up by a major commercial radio station where it made to top 9 most requested track for this special new age program they did on Sundays in my metropolitan area.  Again, just for fun.

I'm from the pre-mp3 era and so I do not do any Youtube or anything..  I used mostly Cubase on a MacClassic2, switched to Logic Audio when EMagic still owned the software and ran a Yamaha CBX-D5 as my AD/DA converter and NuBus 5100 PowerMac.. which I still have in my basement.  :lol:   So the latter years (mid-1990's) when I helped my friends make demo's I ran DAW.. 

I formally took private lessons and played classical piano from age 7-12 so fundamentally I can play piano, but I consider myself a keyboardist as electric piano's and synths are where my interest are to compose a score, not just perform one solo instrument.  My first keyboard was a Casio with 8 different sounds and polyphony, 49 keys.. I performed at a variety show in middle-school with it and the audience loved it.  Motivation to upgrade my gear and did many variety shows, backing tracks for my high school classmate's orchesis, cover bands with my buddies, etc. etc.

I too sold a lot of my electronic instruments, but I still have my trusty workstation keyboard (Fantom-G8) hooked up to Logic.. from about 12-13yrs ago, I switched to just playing stage pianos (VPiano, CP1, Nord Piano3, and the broken SV2 I need to fix) playing whatever that came to mind and improvised just to play for fun.. it's really just mental therapy for me.  It soothes my mind and simply fun playing over a simple drum track (SR16, SR18) I programmed so I don't really record anything these days.  My wife plays classical piano so in a year or so, we are going to get a Roland digital grand for the living room (as soon as I move my make shift RC track out of there when my older kid goes to college..:ph34r:)

So now, I want to go back to my teen roots to just enjoy playing/recording whatever that came to mind over synth arps and TR808 tracks which are both included in the Jupiter-X. :D  especially now that my eye sight has gone from bad to worse, I want to slowly transition from RC to more time spent on music.  

UPDATE:  Received the Jupiter-X this morning.   Yummmy.. going to stack a 01W/FD I still have from the 1990’s on top later.. and place in a better spot in my music room once I get the hang of the instrument.

IMG_2022-1-11-112648.jpg.4e84ced6c458c25e34011a14cbdc1a85.jpg

Update2:  Not related to the keyboard above, but I fixed my SV2-SP today.  B)    New tube installed, also modded the keyboard so that I can now replace the tube in the future without taking the whole thing apart.  Ordered more tubes for future swaps.  

IMG_2022-1-12-172805.jpg.4f9f801b88839b27320107208831069f.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 1

It's Friday again, peeps!  What you up to?

Friday

I'm finishing work in 20 mins, the evenings are finally starting to get just a little bit lighter, sunset is officially 16:28 here so in theory if I get in the van before 16:00 I can be up on the plain with my hiking boots on before it's properly down.  Last time I went to the plain for a Friday walk it was utterly dark by the time I parked, I did several miles walk with only the stars for guidance.  Clear skies tonight to it'll be a bit chilly, 91% moon so should be quite bright even after sunset.  On the downside, a crack appeared in my left foot yesterday so I could be hopping back to the van if it splits on the way round.

I had a call 30 minutes ago from the event organiser at work to say the demo tracks I'd sent over a few hours ago are perfect for the awards ceremony they're putting on next month, and can I get finished versions over by Monday?  So when I get back from my walk I'll have to pretty much bury myself in the studio and start mastering them properly.

Saturday

Tomorrow is a chillout day with my daughter.  Putting a stew in the slow cooker first thing.  We said we'd do some puzzles and play some games, then snuggle up on the sofa to watch a film.  I might drag her out to the hills for some fresh air, or at least, a burger in the van, as it's been ages since we went out together.  If I can get some LiPos charged we can take the crawlers into the woods.

My plan for Saturday evening had been to open some beers and watch a film, but it looks like I have some serious studio work to do, so I'll do some serious studio work.  Also charge LiPos and pack the van for Sunday.

Sunday

3rd round of the CWICs, a local indoor carpet championship, and my first social engagement since Christmas.  The M05 was running respectably after the final final last time out, so hopefully it hasn't turned into a pile of ill-handling mush since being sat on the shelf for a month.  I might even leave my comfort blanket at home and drive the wife's car - the entire event is indoors, so there's no need to take the camper.  I'll save myself some fuel money.

Then back home, empty the car, discharge the batteries and do the final exports from the studio while mopping up the last of the stew with some garlic bread and tinned beverages, and maybe even have time to catch a film, or at least an episode of a TV show.  Failing that, stay up until 4am getting it finished.

OK, it's now 20 minutes since I started writing this thread - time to sign off and get to the plain before the sun goes down :) 

• Like 2

Let's see...

Friday: we finished staining the new stereo/LP cabinet last night, so when I get home tonight I'll put the stereo components in it and wire everything up, then put it in place and fasten it to the wall (life in a potential earthquake zone means nothing is left free-standing). Dinner is my responsibility tonight, probably a nice potato-leek soup that I can just let cook while I wire up the stereo.

Saturday and Sunday: my wife will probably be doing schoolwork all weekend (she's a semester away from finishing her Master's degree), so I will have time to myself. Might actually get some hobby stuff done for a change! Need to rebuild the Grasshopper stunt car after its ordeal with the Spiral Jump; it is now dedicated as my "let's try something stupid" car, which means this won't be the last time I rebuild it. But hey, that's half the fun, right?

I also need to clean and reorganize the garage workbenches, change the oil in my wife's car, and I'm contemplating a reorganization and rearrangement of my workshop/study. Need to measure some things to see if my idea will work before I start moving furniture around. But if it works, I'll end up with a lot more space.

• Like 1

Friday.. started off the day with some routine house chores early morning, worked on my XR311 body for about an hour (taking forever to build as it's literally a big 1:10 plastic model) and WFH.  Our office is closed until end of month for now due to Omicron.  

Most of today unless I am working, will concentrate on watching YouTube videos and figuring out the potential of i-ARP on my Jupiter-X by trying some different settings on my own.  It's going to take me at least a couple of weeks to get the architecture of the synth in my head to freely navigate through the screens to do what I want.   That's good, I don't want something so easy that I get bored of it so soon.  

Woke up to lower back pain again (it's been with me for decades just on and off.. ) so going to take it easy today.   Main reason why I don't work on 1:1 cars that much these days, especially not during winter as tensing up in the cold is no good.   It's okay though, there's really nothing else I need to add on my existing cars right now and next maintenance is in April, so plenty of time to rest.

Saturday.. routine house chores, will work on my XR311 some more, spend rest of the day in my music room.   

Sunday.. no special plans, repeat of Saturday.   Hopefully no honey-do's as my back is killing me.. but never know with my wife..  :lol:   Maybe I can get to a point where I can begin spray painting the XR311.. not sure.  I'm still like on step 3 out of like 10 steps.

Monday..  Off work for holiday.  No special plans, basically a repeat of Saturday/Sunday.  

Bit late for a Friday thread, but had one of those ,thought it was going to be rubbish, but turned out great days!! 

Friday was my day off,  and was flicking through facebook, when a trailer tent came up for sale, 20 mins from my house , and cheap! 

So headed over expecting some wreck or to be robbed etc, but no, great condition, sleeps 4, awning, cooker /grill with a night heater for £100!! ,turned out they'd bought a caravan, and this was on her in laws drive, and they wanted it away, ASAP.

This means I can hopefully get away, to more RC events, more tracks and also classic car meets /events 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well not Friday, but Saturday just passed was horrible. The in-laws were watching our 3 boys for the weekend so the wife and I could have some nice free time alone. After supper we watched a film with a few drinks and was just cuddled up on the sofa when the wife started to experience chest pains. She has had this before but it comes and goes and lasts around 5 mins max, was told it's possibly heartburn / indigestion. After 15 minutes and the pains still there, I decide to phone for an ambulance. Luckily the paramedic put my mind at ease and confirmed that it wasn't a heart attack after doing an ecg. But that she would take her to hospital for some checks etc just to make sure everything is ok. Of course with the whole COVID thing I wasn't allowed to come along or visit her at all. Anyways, 2 days later, countless ecg's and blood test after blood test and a CT scan for good measure. They found it to be ...... Nothing . 🙄😕 , The say it could just be muscular skeletal pains that can be very much like a heart attack and she was released. She had to go to the doctor today to give 4 seperate blood samples for tests, and she has an appointment with the hospital next week too. So what was meant to be a nice relaxing weekend with no kids, turned into a right nightmare. She is doing fine, just more tired than usual and dubious about what it could be. 

So roll on this weekend and let's hope it's a non eventful and relaxing one 👍

James

• Sad 2

Sorry to hear the news @InsaneJim69, let's hope you get a better weekend this time and the test results are good.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry to hear @InsaneJim69  I guess the bright side is you were right there with her and you were able to take the appropriate actions at time of need.

Hope your wife gets some nice rest and both of you can have a relaxing weekend!

• Like 1

My wife bought me a new keyboard amp yesterday (basically a honey-do payout + early b-day present she said :lol:) and it arrived today.  It's a sweet 500watt stereo keyboard amp by MotionSound called the KP-500S.  American made and running dual Eminence 12" woofers + tweeters.. Very warm sweet sound!

Friday.. work day, but will finish some house chores and work on my XR311 some more early morning.  It's taking forever to build, but it's fine.  I have several work related meetings throughout the day, but afterwards going to re-arrange my music room a little bit to accommodate the new amp.  I am also expecting some new acoustic baffles so will start some new patterns on the main wall.  

Saturday.. routine house chores in the morning, will work on the XR311 some more, and finish the acoustic baffle placement in my music room.  Rest of day is just relaxing/playing in my music room and playing things by ear.. stream and watch some TV shows I missed this week.

Sunday.. will work on the XR311 some more, unless my wife has other honey-do's, I'm going to work on re-caulking a few wall trims as our 40 year old house contracts quite a bit in the cold weather and just needs replacing from time to time.   And the afternoon will be spent relaxing in my music room again and streaming a movie at night.  :D 

IMG_2022-1-20-181236.jpg.87995a1011acd12f9be61caf72634bde.jpg

• Like 1

It's Friday again, peeps!

Going to be a really quiet one for me.  My wife has just set off for a solo weekend by the seaside, she starts a gruelling new work contract on Monday (well, gruelling for someone who typically works her own hours from her bedroom, actually kinda easy for those of up who do the typical 9-5 grind :lol: ) so she's making the most of her last weekend of freedom (well, for 8 weeks anyway, until the contract ends) and getting away for some chilly sea air.

That means it's just me and the child this weekend.  I'm going to try to finish work at 1pm so I can get out for a frosty walk across the fields, then a spot of tidying up before I get the child from school at 5ish.  Reheated dinner, watch some Dragon Rescue Riders, bedtime, then the rest of the night to myself.  I've made no solid plans but it might be good to get back to editing the novel again.

Saturday - lazy morning, then drive down to a local stately home for a walk around the garden with the daughter and the mother-in-law.  Probably justify a lunch in the cafe and take the lazy way home, then probably do some tidying up or play some games or puzzles with the child.  Depending on time, I might possibly start building my Super Hotshot while we watch a film.

After child bedtime, I'll cook myself a chilli using some sauce left over from a campfire stew I made last weekend (relax, it's been in the freezer since Monday), throw in some minced beef and jalapenos and serve with sour cream and nachos.  Plenty of beers to kill off the jalapenos.  Probably watch a film or catch up on some series.

Sunday - another lazy morning, probably have a lazy day at home.  TBH after all those jalapenos I won't want to be far from the porcelain throne.  Hopefully a day for drinking hot chocolate, eating marshmallows, snuggling under a blanket and watching Disney films.

I have to do the Monday school run this week, so take it easy on the tinned beverages and reduce the jalapeno content of my Sunday Night Pizza.

What's everyone else up to?

• Like 4

Nothing like a walk on frosty grass crackling under foot @Mad Ax, no chance of that where I am now.

I’m on night shift til Sunday night so not very exciting there, but Monday is a different story. 
We have just sold a rental property that’s been the bane of my life for some time so I’m taking Mrs RB for lunch to celebrate here..

https://www.discover1770.com.au/lady-elliott-island-day-trips/

2022 hasn’t got off to great start, and it’s our Anniversary soon so it was a why not??

• Like 3

I want your weekend @Mad Ax, that sounds brilliant! 

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

a rental property that’s been the bane of my life for some time

Rentals are great, when everything is flowing nicely, but can turn into a nightmare quick! When I had some (past tense also!) I broke the only 2 rules I was told, no beautiful women and no one you know,  both equalled major headaches, so cashed out when I could...

It's nightshift weekend again for me, so I've a boot full of 1:1 and 1/10 car projects incase I've a quiet shift (we've also a free takeaway ,as we broke a production record over Christmas, funny how things run better, when all the top brass aren't there, looking over your shoulder.....🙄

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nothing like a walk on frosty grass crackling under foot @Mad Ax, no chance of that where I am now.

Well I've not long been back - it was nice and frosty this morning but it always thaws before mid-morning.  It's been mostly dry for a few days so that constant freeze-thaw cycle has left the top of the ground covered in a slick, filthy slurry of chalk mud.  It caked up the soles of my walking boots and I nearly fell over about 6 times, ended up being out only for 35 minutes in the end as it wasn't entirely enjoyable.  Still, got another 30 minutes to get cleaned up before the school run, then it's Dragon Rescue Riders and reheated sausage and mash pie that I made last night.

5 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Well I've not long been back - it was nice and frosty this morning but it always thaws before mid-morning.  It's been mostly dry for a few days so that constant freeze-thaw cycle has left the top of the ground covered in a slick, filthy slurry of chalk mud.  It caked up the soles of my walking boots and I nearly fell over about 6 times, ended up being out only for 35 minutes in the end as it wasn't entirely enjoyable.  Still, got another 30 minutes to get cleaned up before the school run, then it's Dragon Rescue Riders and reheated sausage and mash pie that I made last night.

I was sitting at 7F this morning, a normal temp in my neck of the woods in the winter.   I've only had to run my snow thrower once this winter so it's been great.   :D   (I use to love snow as a child, but now I hate it due to salt/icemelt the village sprays which corrodes my 1:1 cars real quick).

One winter driving in salt = 5 years wear on my hibernated hobby cars.       That is how bad it is.

• Like 1

Dang that doesn’t sound much like the vision I had in my head @Mad Ax 😕. It does sound very similar to Coal Port I deliver fuel to. More affectionately know as the Black Sands Resort. If it’s rained the whole place turns into a black slurry, up to the axles in places. It’s a lot like walking in snow, just a lot filthier, and near  impossible to carry the hoses across to where you need them to unload. Then takes a good hour and a half to clean the Truck afterwards. 

• Like 1

Acoustic baffles installed.. well not fully committed yet, but will finalize tomorrow. 

My wife designed the pattern.   The audio in this room is so good.. B)

IMG_2022-1-21-210406.jpg.ec750a22372c7d60b7f624d5ace93351.jpg

• Like 2