8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

If it’s rained the whole place turns into a black slurry, up to the axles in places

it wasn't quite that bad here, it's been cold and dry so the mud isn't that deep, but the top layer (maybe only 10-20mm) is like grease.  The hills around here are chalk, so it's a really light coloured mud and it dries almost white.

I guess it would be axle-deep if people had been driving on it, but there's no vehicle access in the area I went walking yesterday.  Another place I go is military owned and off-limits to vehicles but people take their 4x4s there anyway, that gets really deep sometimes.

• Like 1

It's Friday!  Anybody up to anything exciting?

I must confess to being slightly underwhelmed by the idea.  I can't say I've had a fantastically exciting week at work, but now I'm about to finish, I'm not really sure what else to do.  Trying to lose a bit of lockdown weight means the usual Friday night of junk food and tinned beverages isn't ideal, plus the studio isn't an entirely comfortable place to be when the weather's cold and damp like it has been for the last few weeks.

Still, at least the skies are clear (well, they are right now, I'm not sure it's going to last much longer), so I'm about to down tools and head out for the weekly walk over the hills.  I'll head a bit further afield today and try to get some exercise in before the sun goes down, then I suppose I'll lock myself in the studio with the fan heater on and swear at the Raspberry Pi until is starts hosting a simple web page without giving me 502 errors.

Tomorrow is Daddy-Daughter day, we've got no solid plans but she's desperate to try out her new scooter so we'll probably spend some time in the lane, at least until we get cold.  If she wants to go further afield we'll take the crawlers out into the woods.  She's reached the age now (5 in two weeks!) where she has the breath, stamina, vocabulary and imagination to babble incessantly about something only she can comprehend, without having the grammar or grounding in reality to structure it into a series of punctuated sentences that any sane person can follow, so she can now tie my brain in knots within about 5 minutes of getting out of bed and give me a headache within an hour.  I fear she may be an energy vampire.

Tomorrow night is film night, no idea what I'll watch yet but I do get to treat myself with pizza and beers, I always cheat on Saturdays.  I'm not going out on Sunday so I'll throw on some extra jalapenos.

Sunday is Workshop Sunday - it's been a while since I've had any proper workshop time, so first thing to do is tidy the place up while the fire gets going.  I'm almost out of the bulk pile of heat logs I bought a year ago, so if it doesn't warm up soon I'll have to start burning the furniture (or find something else to do until it warms up).  Hopefully I'll have made some half-decent progress on the Raspberry Pi (at the very least, having it hosting a simple dotnet core / angular web app) so I won't have to swear at it any more, and I can start swearing at my CarManager code instead.  I'll try to finish the weekend with a relaxing hour or two editing one of my old novels while there's still some heat in the building.

Have a good weekend everybody :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Off this weekend , result! 

My youngest was 5 yesterday, so I'm off to the cinema with a load of kids, to watch 'Sing 2' ...😳 , I've not been for a while (understatement....), but when did going to the cinema, get that expensive!?!? 

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

She's reached the age now (5 in two weeks!) where she has the breath, stamina, vocabulary and imagination to babble incessantly about something only she can comprehend, without having the grammar or grounding in reality to structure it into a series of punctuated sentences that any sane person can follow, so she can now tie my brain in knots within about 5 minutes of getting out of bed and give me a headache within an hour.  I fear she may be an energy vampire.

🤣🤣, this I can relate to!

Although their brains run at 100mph (which is slower than their actual change in direction /ability to steal chocolate etc), I think it's amazing ,and their thought process is so innocent, just brilliant. 

• Like 3

Friday.. dang, today's already almost over, but this morning after my routine house chores early morning, I worked on finishing my XR311 before heading over to my hair stylist for my hair cut.  When I got home enjoyed driving the XR311 a couple battery cycles.  Drives great, excellent realism.  This afternoon back to work, had several meetings, got a bunch of stuff done.  During my break played some electric piano and now in my music room relaxing waiting for a few replies from my clients via email.  

After hours I plan to swap a few Deans connector 7.2v NiMH to Tamiya connectors so that I can run them in my XR311.  My wife is treating me to an early BDay dinner (sushi take out.. the real stuff, not the extension of American California rolls some folks call 'sushi' aka 'gas station sushi' I call :lol:).

Saturday..  Besides my usual house chores in the early mornings, I'm going to be driving my various Willy's around and going to spend most of the afternoon in my music room.  I still need to break down 2 more huge boxes (from my musical keyboard)  in prep for recycling next week.  

Sunday..  Continuation of my maintenance caulking on my house, I'm going to spot caulk a few windows in our lounge and music room.  That should complete all caulking for this year.   Then spend the rest of the day relaxing in my music room, maybe paint a HotWheels Beetle or two if I feel like it..   :D

Have a nice weekend, every one!

• Like 1

well I have had some successes so far!

• went for a walk along the ridge and managed to do some really helpful soul-searching (I wouldn't normally bother, I think it's all a bit wishy-washy but the wife has been asking me to do it for months).  still haven't found my actual soul, though.  it's hard to find this time of year because it's the same colour as night time
  • managed to get a basic .Net Core 6 / Angular website hosted on the Raspberry Pi and browsable from my laptop, which is a pretty good result compared to where I was at lunchtime
  • found a Cryo Chamber mix on Youtube that I've been trying to find for ages
  • done an hour's editing on my novel
  • going in now for a Free Damm zero-alcohol beverage and an episode of Boba Fett.  or maybe Altered Carbon.  or possibly Archive 81, if I want to have nightmares tonight.

• Like 1

Just wanted to report I got done caulking 6 windows today.. I hate caulking so it's a huge deal when it turned out looking real nice as if someone else did it.  :lol:

Friday.. starting off with my usual chores, will finish that and work on making  a stand for my GF01-SWB.  Then couple of Teams meetings today for work and rest of day drive my Willy cars, play some piano/cajon in my music room.  

Saturday..  After routine house chores, going to see if my wife can print up my Bday present rendering my son drew for me this week.   It’s a Willy F1 car in olive drab and is very cool.  :D  Will frame it up in my RC shop.  

Otherwise I think I’m going to crack open one of my Egress kits and start building.. rest of day relax in my music room.

Sunday.. will work on a few honey-do’s and  continue building the Egress, drive my Willy cars, relax in my music room.   

Have a good weekend everyone!!

• Like 2

Fairly quiet one for me.  I was in the office in Bristol yesterday, only a few of us there, went directly to an old friend's place as he's only a few minutes from the office.  We spent a few hours DJing some tunes - reggae, steppas dub, dnb and breaks, then we took the melody from a track I was working on a couple of weeks go and set it to a dnb beat my mate has been working on.  Which was fun.  Slept over on his sofa.

Today - got home a couple of hours ago, about to get my daughter out of bed, then going for a walk near Bath with my parents.  There's an old rail tunnel which is now a footpath, which apparently is quite interesting.  It'll get us out for a couple of hours.  Then back home hopefully for a cuddle on the sofa and a Disney film before bedtime.  Tonight, not sure if I'll watch a film or catch up on some TV series, or get in the studio and work on the novel.

Tomorrow - try to get up early, maybe go for a solo walk if the weather's good.  If not, chill in the studio and tidy the workshop.  Over to Bristol again to meet some old friends for Sunday lunch, then hopefully back home in time for something else - a nice walk (if I didn't get one in the morning) or look at the King Blackfoot Restomod project which I started last week but had to stop due to family issues.

Tomorrow evening - a light dinner and some studio time, timebox an hour getting CarManager deployed on the Raspberry Pi, then work on the novel until bedtime.

Hope you're all having a good one so far :) 

• Like 2

@Mad Ax You mentioned "Car Manager deployed on Rasberry Pi"..   I don't have knowledge, but is that like a map programming you do for engine management systems (ECU) on 1:1 cars?   

18 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Mad Ax You mentioned "Car Manager deployed on Rasberry Pi"..   I don't have knowledge, but is that like a map programming you do for engine management systems (ECU) on 1:1 cars?   

Sadly it's nothing as exciting as that - although I did briefly look into making a Megashift for the Jatco transmission in my Elgrand.  Alas, I couldn't find any details about the Jatco, and didn't want to start guessing...

No - CarManager is an app I designed to help me store details about my fleet, keep track of tasks and list parts, manage assets (like, I'm sure I had a low-profile Savox servo somewhere, if only I could remember which car it was installed in..?) and also tell me what cars I should have on display this month.  Until now I've had to host it on my personal laptop, which got kinda awkward and meant I stopped using it around September last year.

Last month I took the plunge and bought a Pi to host it, meaning it can be permanently available on my home network.  Of course I thought the deployment would be simple, but didn't expect a whole host of problems with the way I've developed the app (or more accurately, failed to keep it up to date since its first build in early 2018 using an already out-of-date template).

You can read more about CarManager here:

I'll update the thread some more once I've made more progress on the upgrade and deployment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Dang, @Mad Ax..  must be nice to be smart persistent 

FTFY :)

• Haha 2

Happy Friday, everybody!  How are we all?  Anybody up to anything exciting?

For one reason and another I haven't had a lot of workshop time recently, so haven't really made much progress on anything recently.  In fact most of my stuff is still out on the workbench from two weeks ago, when I managed a grand total of 2 hours before I had to cut it short and go back inside.

Anyway, this is yet another crazy weekend of madness, so I won't have quite as much time as usual in the workshop, but it should be fun nonetheless.  Here's the lowdown so far:

Friday: working in Bristol, finishing mid-afternoon and riding home on the motorcycle, hopefully before the weather changes.  If I've got time and the sun is still shining I'll take a detour over the Mendip Hills.  It was just above freezing on the way in this morning, so I'm wrapped up nice and warm for a long ride back.  Gotta be home for 5pm to fetch my daughter from school.  It's her 5th birthday today, so she'll have some presents and cuddles when we get in.

Friday Eve: nothing solid planned yet, in theory it's date night but my wife has just started a new diploma so she might want to focus on coursework instead.  So, not sure if it's a film night with the wife or a solo night in the studio.

Saturday: party day!  I've got 8 pizzas to cook in a kind of production-line affair, plus probably some other foods to sort out, as well as getting the birthday girl dressed and ready for her party, then delivering her in style in the van.  Hopefully the party will be fun and will probably fly past.  Something like 30 kids (plus parents) are attending, no idea why she's got so many friends :o 

Saturday Eve: solo film night for daddy.  Hopefully there'll be mountains of left-over pizza from the party, but if not, I'll cook another one from the freezer :lol:

Sunday: split-duty day.  I've got the day off until 1pm, probably get up in the workshop and crack on with the King Blackfoot Resto-mod, now that I've figured out what to do with the front-end.  Come in to cook lunch, Disney and Chill with my daughter until 5pm, then I'm off duty again.

Sunday Eve: probably studio time on the novel.  Cooking a curry (only a basic from-a-jar one) but it's still one of my favourite meals, so I'll look forward to that.

Have yourselves a great weekend everybody :) 

• Like 3

What a lovely thread! I haven't ventured into the 'non Tamiya related' woods before...

FWIW....life is starting to get properly social again after nearly two years of lockdown and caution. Last weekend I got together (in person!) with three of my oldest friends for Musical Appreciation Society, a once-regular get together borne out of a post-gig drinking and tunes session back in 2001. We enjoyed it, decided we should do it more often, and then did! Roughly four times a year we've got together to share our latest musical discoveries, give each other grief-level banter and get deep, warm drunk together

That was until March 2020, when like everything else MAS went virtual. Which was all well and good, but you can't beat the real thing, so last Friday was an utter treat

This weekend we're off to Oxford to see some more old, great friends (J & M), who we haven't seen in person since last May, the weekend before my sister in law passed away. Life has been a rollercoaster since we last saw them. I've known them for nearly 25 years now, we're godparents to both their daughters, and it's always properly soul-enriching to spend time in their collective company, so we're going to immerse ourselves in two nights and days of that. It was M's birthday yesterday too, so a fun-packed weekend awaits

On many levels this re-emerging from the corona-cocoon is wonderful, on others it is a little exhausting! So many social skills have been on ice, and it takes a while for the warmth of familiarity to thaw them out. 

Today's been a busy day of copywriting, now it's time to pack so we can hit the road in about an hour...the joys of the M4 on a Friday evening :wacko:

Have fun everyone :)

• Like 2

@Mad Ax Happy early Birthday to your daughter!   Have fun at the party.  :D  You're a great dad with all the stuff you do with your kids.  I use to be very involved while my kids were younger, but these days my teen kids don't want dad around..  :lol:  

Okay, for me same ol same ol..just relax and try to get my head away from work.   The last 2 weeks have been pretty much *badword* as far as work.. things are EXTREMELY busy with back to back to back meetings and project summaries I needed to do.  I was planning to crack open my re-re Egress last week.. it has not happened. 

Friday..  most of the day is over already, but this morning besides my usual house chores early morning before work, I had to do a few honey do's including opening up 2 new plants my wife and I bought on Amazon that came in its own planters.  They arrived in great condition, I cleaned up the planters outside, but no issue.  My wife is very pleased.  I placed one in our lounge and the other one in the powder room as they do not need much light.  Since then I've been in meetings and calls all day so far, but enjoyed a nice lunch with my wife.   I still have a few more meetings to attend to this afternoon and will take it easy tonight in my music room to unwind.  Stream a movie maybe.

Saturday.. After my routine house chores early morning, going to attempt opening up my re-re Egress and start on the body.  Hopefully I can get it to a point I can paint it on Sunday.  Besides that, will spend some time driving my Willy cars and rest of the day in my music room.  I finally got the music room laid out the way I want it with the Jupiter-X next to my Nord Piano.. ended up moving my cajons to the other side of the room and swapped space with my Yamaha stage piano.    The Nord and Jupiter sound fantastic together and through my MotionSound amp.. melting sweetness.   Sounds sooo good.   Evening will be spent streaming a movie.

Sunday..  I hope to finish the Egress body and maybe start on the chassis in the morning.  I am sure my wife will have more honey-do's for me to do in the afternoon.. rest of the day will relax in my music room and stream a movie in the evening or equivalent. 

Since I'm starting to see a warming up trend on WeatherChannel earlier than usual I think I might pull-in my insurance reinstatement date by one month (March start instead of April).   

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Thanks 1

Kind of a sucemsessfil day....ish

The middle of last week, the wife found mould on the skirting behind out bed, so pulled the bed out, found the carpet wet = not good. 

There's no pipes there, so borrowed the Borescope from work yesterday, and drilled into the wall this morning (long weekend off), and found there is no isulation in the cavity wall, no rising damp and no issues with the wall ties either, so presuming asits an outsdie wall ,and been battered with rain/ snow recently, can only be condensation...🤞, The government are seemingly doing grants for wall insulation, which I'm hoping will solve the issue...

With that taking less time than I thought, I got into the garage, and got the switchback sidelight/indicators wired into the loom, which was a bonus 😁

Decided to.make a curry for tea, but turned in a , 'Keith Floyd' and drank almost 2 bottles of wine cooking it, curry was nice, kids cleared their plates, success! 😀

Tomorrow's plan, weathet depending, is to get the prop measured on the TransAm. I got the correct yoke fitted in work last week, so I've to.measure and get over to the prop place, to get balanced etc.

Sunday, not sure. A local indoor RC racetrack might be open, so may head over with my eldest daughter, to dust off a few cobwebs.

• Like 1

@Wooders28 Hope it's an easy fix for your house.  In the USA people make a HUGE deal often for mold (maybe people are more allergic), but in other countries mold is a daily common thing like in Japan where there is almost always mold behind dressers and other furnishings especially in older houses.  

Besides that sounds like a fun weekend coming up!  Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Yep mold is a problem in my house also esp a couple of bedrooms and the bathroom thanks to the method of the plastering on the wall (slap and plaster) i have to use a strong bleach spray every month in these rooms and i hate the smell of bleach .

On another note its my b.day this weekend and i had a lot planned but thanks to my wife comming down with  covid all plans have gone out the window thats 2 years in a row covid has ruined my b.day:angry: with last year being my big one as well so plans on hold till when ever

• Sad 3

Sad news @topforcein, I hope your wife gets better soon and you get a late birthday treat.  With my daughter's being yesterday and mine next weekend, we all got hit by the Covid birthday cancellations over the last 2 years too.  I always envied people with summer birthdays, even more so since the pandemic!

It's the calm before the storm here - about to get my daughter up and breakfasted, clean the kitchen, then start a pizza production line...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

In the USA people make a HUGE deal often for mold (maybe people are more allergic), but in other countries mold is a daily common thing like in Japan where there is almost always mold behind dressers and other furnishings especially in older houses.  

My family weren't overly bothered growing up, just give it a clean every so often. My wife's on the other hand, think they've been infested by rats or something. When we moved last time, she found a bit on the back of the bedside cabinet, and that then needed to go into a skip, as it wasn't going to, infect , the new house.....🤦‍♂️

Shouldn't have started another bottle, not feeling as, sprightly , this morning....🤢

Oh no @topforcein ! Hope she's better soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Sad news @topforcein, I hope your wife gets better soon and you get a late birthday treat.  With my daughter's being yesterday and mine next weekend, we all got hit by the Covid birthday cancellations over the last 2 years too.  I always envied people with summer birthdays, even more so since the pandemic!

It's the calm before the storm here - about to get my daughter up and breakfasted, clean the kitchen, then start a pizza production line...

thanks very much luckly today she is at 5 days and had done her first test and has came back neg so so far all good 

my 50th being last year was the one that miffed me of the most tbh as we was all in lockdown but has to holidays ....well i ain't had one since the 70's and am hopefull gonna have a honeymoon in the future even though i was married back in 94 so holiday for me and the family are not for other to get envied over 

please convey my b,day wish's to your daughter for yesterday hope all goes well with the pizza production.

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

My family weren't overly bothered growing up, just give it a clean every so often. My wife's on the other hand, think they've been infested by rats or something. When we moved last time, she found a bit on the back of the bedside cabinet, and that then needed to go into a skip, as it wasn't going to, infect , the new house.....🤦‍♂️

Shouldn't have started another bottle, not feeling as, sprightly , this morning....🤢

Oh no @topforcein ! Hope she's better soon.

thanks very much as i said she as so far tested neg after 5 days hope your not coming down also 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topforcein said:

my 50th being last year was the one that miffed me of the most tbh as we was all in lockdown but has to holidays

I feel your pain, it was my 40th in 2020.  Actually I did get to celebrate, as the pandemic was still a distant threat back then - I distinctly remember sitting in a pub with some local mates, eating a pizza and explaining how I didn't get swine flu, bird flu or SARS and I don't intend to get Covid either.  It all seemed such a long way off back then!  I even managed a trip to Robin Hood Raceway for a Tamiya Junkies meet on my actual birthday day.  There's a Junkies meet taking place on my birthday this year too, but the wife has booked that weekend in for "family time", so I can't go :p 

My best mate also turned 40 in 2020, we write music together so we planned an open air gig in the summer, a little mini-festival featuring live music from us, plus DJ and MC sets from various people he knows in the Bristol music scene, obviously we didn't plan this for February, we set it for early summer.  We called it TwentyTwenty - after the year, after 20 years of music, after 20 years of friendship, and various other things that all worked out to make TwentyTwenty the perfect title.  Yeah, it didn't happen :p 

Technically we could aim for an event called TwentyTwenty:2 this year, but it's a bit late to organise it and with the cost of living increase, there isn't really the spare cash to fund it any more.

On a lighter note, the birthday was a rip-roaring success, child is exhausted, we have a huge pile of presents still to open (seriously, I'm not sure kids born today are going to have any idea of the concept of the economy at the rate they get bought presents...)

Plus, I have a fridge full of cooked pizza - hooray!  It's vegetarian pizza tho.  Boo.  But I've got some bacon and salami to put on it.  Hooray!  I haven't got any mushrooms, though.  Boo.  But I've got jalapenos instead - hooray!  I haven't got any nice mayo, tho.  Boo.  I've got party dip instead - hooray!  I haven't got any low-alcohol lager left, tho.  Boo.  I've got full-fat Budweiser instead.  Hooray!  Haven't got any cookies for dessert, though.  Boo.  I've got birthday cake.  Hooray!  Haven't got any cream to go on it tho.  Boo.  I've got ice cream instead.  Hooray!  Haven't got any peanuts for after-snack, though.  Boo.  I've got spicy crisps instead.  Hooray!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, topforcein said:

hope your not coming down also

I'm fine, self inflicted ,and nothing a plate full of fried carbs and pigs blood didn't solve 🙄😁

Even got the prop shaft measured and dropped off, before they shut at noon!

Bit more success too, a fuel tank roll over valve breather I ordered from the states arrived (could only find metric fittings over here), so that means the fuel tank is pretty much ready to get nailed into place a few weeks ahead of schedule 👍

(Not touched any alcohol tonight, so  'should ' be able to get some track time in, and still get back to try and sort the mould issue out ....)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I feel your pain, it was my 40th in 2020.  Actually I did get to celebrate, as the pandemic was still a distant threat back then - I distinctly remember sitting in a pub with some local mates, eating a pizza and explaining how I didn't get swine flu, bird flu or SARS and I don't intend to get Covid either.  It all seemed such a long way off back then!  I even managed a trip to Robin Hood Raceway for a Tamiya Junkies meet on my actual birthday day.  There's a Junkies meet taking place on my birthday this year too, but the wife has booked that weekend in for "family time", so I can't go :p 

My best mate also turned 40 in 2020, we write music together so we planned an open air gig in the summer, a little mini-festival featuring live music from us, plus DJ and MC sets from various people he knows in the Bristol music scene, obviously we didn't plan this for February, we set it for early summer.  We called it TwentyTwenty - after the year, after 20 years of music, after 20 years of friendship, and various other things that all worked out to make TwentyTwenty the perfect title.  Yeah, it didn't happen :p 

Technically we could aim for an event called TwentyTwenty:2 this year, but it's a bit late to organise it and with the cost of living increase, there isn't really the spare cash to fund it any more.

On a lighter note, the birthday was a rip-roaring success, child is exhausted, we have a huge pile of presents still to open (seriously, I'm not sure kids born today are going to have any idea of the concept of the economy at the rate they get bought presents...)

Plus, I have a fridge full of cooked pizza - hooray!  It's vegetarian pizza tho.  Boo.  But I've got some bacon and salami to put on it.  Hooray!  I haven't got any mushrooms, though.  Boo.  But I've got jalapenos instead - hooray!  I haven't got any nice mayo, tho.  Boo.  I've got party dip instead - hooray!  I haven't got any low-alcohol lager left, tho.  Boo.  I've got full-fat Budweiser instead.  Hooray!  Haven't got any cookies for dessert, though.  Boo.  I've got birthday cake.  Hooray!  Haven't got any cream to go on it tho.  Boo.  I've got ice cream instead.  Hooray!  Haven't got any peanuts for after-snack, though.  Boo.  I've got spicy crisps instead.  Hooray!

i managed to get out to a pub once last year ...when the brother in law came down from berwick for the first time in a few years so tat was all good me and the wife have not been out for ..well i dont know has she does a lot of 12 hrs day at work esp in the last few year due to covid and tbh we are really lucky as this is the first time she has court it.

i would just love to get to a rc meet esp a truck meet hopefully if i can get my 1.1 car back on the road that may happen.

that  summer gig sounds amazing i used to be a DJ back in the 80's/90's and loved it and tbh i would like to have another go at it  i used to love doing kids party's esp with pass the pie game;)

glad the party went off great and no mushrooms for ya pizza:o but the bacon may make up for it:D

• Like 1