6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@87lc2 I cracked up about people thinking it's okay to bug you to do things.  People say stuff like that often at my work.. hey Calvin works on cars all the time, let him install your new catback on your 10 yr old hatch.. or replace your rotors on your Bimmer, or oil change..  and grill up a tomahawk and have some beers and cash in return.

uhhhh, absolutely, no..!  

My wife gives me plenty of honey-do's to keep me busy.. :ph34r:

Yea, right?  My problem is before I had my daughter (and younger with more energy) I had all sorts of time on my hands and actually enjoyed the challenge of working on pretty much anything.  These days time is short and the time I do have I would rather be spending it with my daughter, my RCs, or my own cars.  I haven't even pulled my old cars out of the garage from winter hibernation yet, there's always soemthing to do...

I had a good one last year.  My wife's brother (who is useless and lazy) had a 2015 or so Subaru Outback or Forester (can't remember) that broke a ball joint.  I get home one day from work and this piece of crap is sitting in my driveway with a wheel that pretty much fell off and leaking trans fluid all over my nicely sealed driveway because the axle came out of the trans.  I was fuming mad and freaked out.  Had it fixed in about 30 minutes and told him to come pick his junk up and I never want to see it again.  That actually worked, he traded it in a week later :)    

I think the main thing is that if you ask nicely or at least act like you appreciate the time I spend I'm more than happy to help.  If you're a jerk and just expect that I'll take care of it I get very *******ed very quickly.  Always helping neighbors keeping their mowers going, fixing cars, etc. and never mind if they appreciate it.  The real problem is my time is a lot more valuable these days, both literally & figuratively.  If I told my brother he had to pay me based on what my time is worth according to my current employer I'll bet he'd glady pay a shop rates to have them installed :)  I can never say no to family though, just how I'm wired I guess.  Or I'm just a sucker.  Either way I end up doing lots of things I dont want to do...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

and grill up a tomahawk and have some beers and cash in return.

I wouldn't actually mind doing stuff for people if they'd come over, lend a hand, shoot the breeze and share a beer and BBQ when the work's done, it feels like more of a social gathering, except I've got an important task to do, which gives me purpose (I always feel like a spare wheel at social gatherings otherwise).  I've had some great days where a bunch of us completely stripped an old car for parts, or did a full interior strip and suspension change on a mate's race car.  But quite often there was never time nor inclination for the social, just get the job done, quick as possible, and get away without saying a few words.

After years of me complaining about always having to work on the family cars, my wife has officially banned me from doing anything apart from custom project work on our vehicles.  I said yesterday we could save money if I did the brakes on the Yaris, but she said no, pay the shop to do it.  It's one of those major turning points in life - like getting your first car, moving into your own home: sending your car to the shop for someone else to do the oil change.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I said yesterday we could save money if I did the brakes on the Yaris, but she said no, pay the shop to do it.  It's one of those major turning points in life - like getting your first car, moving into your own home: sending your car to the shop for someone else to do the oil change.

I don't know if I'll ever get there, just don't trust people to work on my cars.  I get what you're saying though.  My wife has been on me about hiring someone to cut the grass.  With a lot of property it does take up valuable time, but why pay someone to do what I can do.  It might come to that point some day though, what used to be a few relaxing hours riding around the yard on a tractor is now a get it done ASAP sort of deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mad Ax said:

I wouldn't actually mind doing stuff for people if they'd come over, lend a hand, shoot the breeze and share a beer and BBQ when the work's done, it feels like more of a social gathering, except I've got an important task to do, which gives me purpose (I always feel like a spare wheel at social gatherings otherwise).  I've had some great days where a bunch of us completely stripped an old car for parts, or did a full interior strip and suspension change on a mate's race car.  But quite often there was never time nor inclination for the social, just get the job done, quick as possible, and get away without saying a few words.

Yeah, before having kids I spent time with my buddies on my free time a lot working on RC stuff, real cars, etc. it was constructive and fun.  We got a lot done.  

I don't know, after having kids, I quickly realized how precious time is and whenever I have free time I try to make the most out of it.. and usually it's more about recouping the lost me-time during the decade or so while my kids were small.  Maybe if I ever get to a day where I have nothing to do, I'll invite folks over to work on their cars.. but I don't think such day will come any time soon as I am always working on or practicing something.  :D 

• Like 2

So, how was everyone's weekend?

Mine worked out alright in the end.  I got my workbench completely cleared on Friday, which was a great feeling, as it's been gradually filling up with junk for months now.  I'll be able to enjoy Workshop Sunday a whole more more now, which would be even better if I'll get a Workshop Sunday soon, but with all sorts of other stuff going on it'll be mid-June before I actually have any proper workshop time.

After that I thought I'd have a go at converting the sail winch servo on the tow rig into a proper winch servo using some high-precision resistors I got a month ago, but after experimenting a little it let out the magic smoke and wouldn't work any more.  I tried again on a broken DS3218 servo and found I still had the same old problem of the servo wandering around on its own and refusing to stay centred, so looks like I need to either buy a proper winch controller or just get one of Overland RC's self-contained winch servos after all.  In theory it shouldn't be difficult to build a winch controller using an Arduino, but I can't work out how to apply 100% braking force (or, indeed, any braking force), and packaging even on a Nano isn't ideal for this sort of thing.

Saturday was fun, chilling out with the child in the morning and meeting up with loads of family in the afternoon, didn't get home until late so no time for RC stuff, barely time to cook my chilli and catch a classic movie before bed.

Sunday was even more crazy, as I decided to clear some weeds in the garden, which went on for most of the day.  I managed to make a couple of links for the on-going Element Enduro Scale Builder's Kit-based project, but that's about it RC-wise.

It's now less than 2 weeks until the Carlisle round of the Iconic Cup, and there's no solid workshop time available on the calendar as it's all booked out to family stuff.  Thankfully the M03 is still in reasonably good shape after the last round, so a quick check-over and re-pack of the diff should be all it needs, maybe one night this week.

Here's to next weekend!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Mine worked out alright in the end.  I got my workbench completely cleared on Friday, which was a great feeling, as it's been gradually filling up with junk for months now. 

That is one of life's small pleasures.  I make a point to clear the bench after every "build", nice way to clear my head and move on to the next project.  Sounds like you had a busy weekend!

It was unseasonably hot here this weekend (96 on Saturday and 92 or so on Sunday).  Really wore me out, too hot too soon.  Didn't do too much, just some yard work and mowing.  Also got my truck fixed which is nice.

I did get the carbon LMT to running status.  Gave it a run last night and its an absolute riot, runs fantastic.  So much different than an aluminum chassis truck as far as handling and performance.  That might have a bit to do with the link mounted shocks as well.  Glued the tires last night after I knocked them completely off the rims on the test run and then just need to do a body and she's ready for action. 

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Apart from spending over £100 in juice, (saw it at almost £2 a litre at the service's😱), it was absolutely brilliant!!!

The weather was warm, but with a few rain showers, which kept the racing , interesting (although I felt sorry for a mate, had a few spots of rain before pretty much every heat, so he was further down the rankings than he should have been).

Spent time with family and friends from both sides of the border, chatted to some famous names in RC, good food and drink, so ticked pretty much every box! 

They're just never long enough! 

• Like 3

My weekend was good as well, managed to do everything planned and then some .. that 'some' being more honey-do's. :ph34r:

:lol:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 day weekend coming up..!

Friday.. Beside house chores, WFH, will work on painting my SuperAstute body.  Will also take measurements of my M38 display table to see if I can find or make a lower profile one.   

Saturday.. given weather is nice, after early morning house chores, I plan to take my GR Supra out for a nice weekend drive in the morning, maybe finish up the SuperAstute body, and relax in my music room in the afternoon.  Evening will be spent streaming a movie.

Sunday.. Will do a repeat of Saturday and maybe paint a Billy head or two.  :D   

Afternoon finish off any honey-do’s and relax rest of day in my music room.  Stream movie in the evening.. 

Monday.. Given weather is nice I may take my Golf-R for a drive or just wash my WRX.  Afternoon is BBQ time with the family rain or shine as we have a screened patio.

Evening stream a movie.. play it by ear I suppose.

Have a nice weekend, everyone! 

• Like 3

Almost forgot about the 3-day weekend, nice!   

Not too much going on, we'll probably hang out with family either Sunday or Monday.  On the RC side of things, I painted the body for my Carbon LMT last night and will do decals tonight.  After that I think I'm going to take a little break for a while and catch up on some 1:1 car projects.  It's just been non-stop building for the past few months or so, time for a break.  Also might list a few for sale, I say this all the time but going to try and commit to doing it this time around...

Saturday going to look at a car.  Found a nice deal through a friend on an 01 Mustang Cobra.  Car has low miles and mechanically fine, but been sitting outside for about 10 years and needs a top, paint, tires, etc.  I've had a few of these and they've really gone up in value over the years, for what I can get this one for I can do a light restore on it and probably come out good on the other end.  Really just itching for another manual car and this will fit the bill.  Convertible too which I love.  Nothing like a V8 powered convertible for summer cruising. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and if you're in the US a great holiday weekend!

• Like 3

I think this weekend will be the closest to a ‘normal’ weekend in a couple of months. My wife has recovered enough to get up and about and do basic stuff and the kids are finding some independence again which means a bit more time for RC. I hope. Unfortunately I’ve picked up some sort of cold but hoping it doesn’t get any more serious. 

So, Friday evening is the usual dash around with kids activities and then decompressing on the sofa with some nice homemade soup and some TV.

Saturday I will be up early to take my daughter to netball, a bit of garden tidy up and probably a trip to the park with my boy but I hope around all that I can do some electrics and painting of my current projects.

Sunday we are planning to meet with friends over lunch but should (fingers crossed) have more RC build time.

That’s the plan. Let’s see how much of it actually happens!

• Like 2

Another fairly quiet one here.  WFH today, then off at 3pm for a picnic at my daughter's school in celebration of the jubilee next week.  My daughter says the Queen might drop by to say hello.  I heavily doubt this, but there again this is England, and we are all on first-name terms with the Queen.

(She once drove past me in a car going the other way.  Well, she wasn't driving, she was being chauffeured.  She was waving, with this hand.  Well, not this hand, this is my hand.  This is possibly the most British post I have ever made.)

After that it's date night with a curry-from-a-jar.  Wife wanted a special treat so we've got loads of sides.  In a vacuum pack.  No expense spared for curry night here.  At this morning's weigh-in I was down to 69.9Kg after consuming only 600 calories and walking 7 miles yesterday (that's 155 pounds in old money, the lightest I've been in over a decade) and after consuming all that curry and some alcohol-free beers I expect to be back up to 72Kg again by tomorrow morning :D

Saturday morning the three of us are going to load up the van and head to the south coast for a day on the beach.  An old friend (and former TC member DJ Dirk) lives down that way so I might message him later and see if he wants to stop by.  Apparently there's some good mud flats on the beach so I might take some crawlers along.  Gonna throw a smoked gammon and some veg in the slow cooker to make a campfire stew.

Saturday evening I'll be eating my campfire stew and probably sinking a few cans of Milk Stout from the  local Wiper And True brewery, as I expect they will perfectly complement one another.

Sunday is a DIY day, going to fit a new worktop in the utility room so we've got somewhere to store all the canned drinks and other non-perishable produce that normally sits in the workshop.  Not the most exciting job in the world, but should gain us loads of space in the shop.  Then maybe replace some of the blown fluorescent tube lights with new LED tubes that arrived this week, and maybe even pop to the hardware store to get some mains faceplates with USBs in to tidy up the new charging area that I made a few weeks ago.

Sunday evening is officially my evening off, hopefully get started around 5pm.  Not really sure what I'll do, I've got one week before my epic road trip to the Lake District and still loads of things to sort out, so I'll probably just go through my list and tick off what I can before time runs out.

In between all this I might have the time (and the weather) to mask up and paint the Raptor body on the LMT.  I still haven't settled on a colour or livery, I've got some great ideas but I'm horribly lazy when it comes to masking, I don't enjoy it and I rarely get the results I want, maybe I'll stick with a single colour and try to do all the livery with printed graphics, or maybe I'll go with something simple and bright and eye-catching.  Further ideas on the LMT thread if I have anything concrete enough to write down.

• Like 3

I will paint the VQS. The colour won't turn out to look like it does in my mind -will paint with copper and gold, and my masking and cutting leaves a lot to be desired, but I will paint the VQS. 

Stranger Things. And a bitter. 

• Like 2

3 day weekend for me too!!

Kids off today (friday) so we've hit the road again, and back down south, this time a bit further, down to Alton Towers! 😃

• Like 3

Since stuff that I write here helps me actually go through with them, the plan for the rest of the weekend is: 

As we're spending the weekend at the cabin I'll get started on bringing my homemade track back in form after its winter hibernation. Been raining for the last days so need to check if going out there with a tractor causes more harm than good. I'm debating whether to spray the track with weedkiller or not, it would mean less upkeep during the summer, but I kind of like how it wears with use. Also, it seems kinda not right to whack poison on the ground just to play with toys. 

I need to cycle some nibs on display, these have been up there for too long. The Fox, Vanquish and Gallop deserves some shelf time. 

IMG_6647.jpg

• Like 3

It's not Friday yet!  But we do have an unusually long Jubilee weekend here, with public holidays tomorrow and Friday, so it's like getting an early Friday here.

It's also like the "last day before holiday" here, because it's a big weekend for me.

Thursday - taking the van to have a new exhaust made, as the discontinued OEM centre box has split and the HKS back box has seen better days.  Going to have something new made up in stainless, maybe a different look and hopefully not much louder than it is now, as I do a lot of long journeys.  Then back home to get packed up for the weekend and spend some time with my daughter.  Could feel like a very long day as I'm on a 600 calorie limit all day and it's the last day before my holiday.

Friday - going to a regional agricultural show with my wife, child, parents and my sister's family, spend the day looking at livestock, farm machinery, classic cars and whatever else is on display, then head off mid-afternoon for the long drive to Stoke-on-Trent and an overnight in a cheap hotel.  Hopefully get there in time for a couple of beers and a light snack before bed.

Saturday - up with the dawn for another long drive to the Lake District, set up my pit awning for the weekend at Carlisle's fantastic outdoor tarmac track, and a full day's practice for round 4 of the Iconic Cup with my M03 race car.  Share some beers with some fellow racers and camp overnight at the track.

Sunday - up with the dawn again for a full day of racing, see if I can't beat my poor effort last round or make a good showing like I did at round 1 and get into the A final.  Make sure I'm packed up and on the road early enough to reach my hotel in the heart of the Lakes in time for a meal in the restaurant.

Mon/Tue - two days alone in the Lake District, hiking, exploring and generally being at peace with the world.

Wed - up in time for my last breakfast, check out of the hotel, then take the lazy road home over the Yorkshire Dales, maybe stop off for a quick walk on the way, and head all the way home without too many motorway miles.  Time-depending, maybe stop off at Bourton-on-the-Water to stretch my legs, enjoy the scenery and maybe eat something before making the final 90 minute drive home.

The holiday isn't over until it's over, so maybe treat myself to a takeaway and beers and veg in front of a movie before my little corner of the world gets back to normal in just over a week :) 

Any UK peeps got anything fun planned for the jubilee weekend?  Anyone in the rest of the world up to anything exciting?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Anyone in the rest of the world up to anything exciting?

.. no?   :ph34r:

:lol: Have fun out there MadAx!!  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

.. no?   :ph34r:

not even taking the GR Supra out for a drive..?  ;)

• Haha 1

Well, its the 4th weekend in a row, and i'm doing something again!, I'm in danger of a social life here!?!? 😃

I've got my dayshift weekend shifts covered (some football match thing in Savile,  meant someone wanted their shifts covered 😊) , and heading down south again , not too far this time,  to the Lake District, and a.......stag do 🙄🤷‍♂️

On 6/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, Mad Ax said:

head off mid-afternoon for the long drive to Stoke-on-Trent and an overnight in a cheap hotel.

After last weekends trip to Alton Towers, watch your speed, all the 4 lane 'smart motorways' have speed cameras!! Seemingly it's been in the news down there, but not north of the border,  so a 14 day agonising wait for me .....😳🤞

On 6/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, Mad Ax said:

up with the dawn for another long drive to the Lake District, set up my pit awning for the weekend at Carlisle's fantastic outdoor tarmac track

I'm going to be in ,Eskdale, so not too far away...👀

Is the racing on Sunday? 

Have you the post code, I might stop in, on my way back up the road!! 👋

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Is the racing on Sunday? 

Have you the post code, I might stop in, on my way back up the road!! 👋

Yes, practice on Saturday and racing on Sunday.  The track is quite easy to find from the M6.

Carlisle Radio Model Car Club, CA4 8RG

If you drop by, I'll probably be under a green gazebo repairing an M03 with a Civic body in Tamiya Frog livery :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Yes, practice on Saturday and racing on Sunday.  The track is quite easy to find from the M6.

Carlisle Radio Model Car Club, CA4 8RG

If you drop by, I'll probably be under a green gazebo repairing an M03 with a Civic body in Tamiya Frog livery :)

I've flung my Glasgow Raceway T shirt in my bag, for easy recognition 😏😁

Been onto their page on Facebook, and I know few people who've said they're going too, looks a good event! 

My weekend will probably look something like this..

Friday.. WFH, finish the City Turbo hood scoops I am making from scratch, paint 2 Billy helmets, maybe paint their torso too.  I also need to make a roof wing..

I should be receiving my nicherotors 4WD Wheeler so something exciting to look forward to!  :D 

Evening will be spent streaming a movie.

Saturday.. will do some early morning house chores as usual, then take my STI out for a nice weekend drive.  Will relax in my music room in the afternoon and watch a movie with family in my wife’s manga library which is also equipped with a nice Bose home theater system and big screen.   

Sunday.. weather permitting I will take my STI out again, but forecast shows rain so I shall work on the 4WD Wheeler chassis build in the morning, get the honey-do’s out of the way, and relax in my music room in the afternoon.  Probably stream a movie in the evening.   

Have a great weekend everyone!  :D 

• Like 3

Sounds like quite a holiday @Mad Ax, hope the race goes well for you! 

Tomorrow I'll be putting the bed back on my 96 Dodge Ram.  Fuel pump went out last week and with a full tank of 26 gallons there was no way I was dropping that thing so I took the bed off instead.  Only took about 30 minutes; some wiring, 6 bolts and it was off.  Helps that its not a rust bucket, sure wouldn't have been fun if I snapped a bed bolt...

Afternoon I'll mow the yard and wife's going out with friends in the evening so I'll have some time to myself when the daughter goes to sleep.  Weather has been fantastic and would be nice to go out for a drive, but don't think the baby monitor has long enough range :)  

Sunday not much planned but great weather again which is nice.  

I've sort of been in RC project limbo recently.  Finished up my carbon fiber LMT (which is absolutely fantastic btw) a week or so ago and haven't touched anything else since.  Not sure why and I certainly haven't lost interest, just don't know what to do next.  Went out with the crawlers last weekend (really mud trucks, it was a swamp on the trails), so maybe I'll do something with that next.  So much I could do, but with no clear "next project" I just haven't done anything.  

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Helps that its not a rust bucket, sure wouldn't have been fun if I snapped a bed bolt...

2022-06-04_08-46-26

• Haha 1

It's Friday!!  What are we all up to this weekend?

Doesn't really feel like it should be Friday, as I was still on holiday until Weds eve, and I think my brain is still in holiday mode as I don't seem to be getting much done, but it's nice to be back to a bit of routine and exciting to have some RC stuff to look forward to now that the events are over for a while.

Friday

WFH until 5pm, fetch daughter and cook her some dinner.  After that I might go out for a walk, or I might do something in the studio.  I've got to sort a playlist for a DJ session next week, but also I've been putting off masking the LMT body for almost as long as it was in transit, and I'm running out of ways to procrastinate now that I've decided on a colour scheme, so I could put on a daft movie and get that ready for paint this weekend.  I really should be doing some paperwork that I've been putting off, too.

Saturday

Daddy-daughter day.  To start with, I've got a couple of hours of paperwork to catch up on so hopefully she'll entertain herself for a while.  After that, no solid plans - might take the crawlers to the woods if she wants to, plus a film and a cuddle are definitely on the cards.

Need to think of something nice I can make for dinner, maybe cycle to the shops to buy supplies.  Possibly have time to work a bit more on the Element Enduro kit if she wants to play iPad before bedtime.

Probably stream a movie in the evening, maybe alongside masking that LMT body.

Sunday

Workshop Sunday!  It's been a tradition since Lockdown 1.0 in March 2020, but due to other commitments I haven't had a Workshop Sunday since 1st May (and I spent much of that getting ready for the West London round of the Iconic Cup), so it's time at last to crack on with some other projects.

I need to sort the body mount on the F150 Tow Truck - I've been procrastinating over that for months now - plus other little things need sorting out, like unlocking the front diff and modifying the axle for increased steering angle.  I need to list out all the parts I need to finish it and work them into the budget.

Then there's the LMT body to paint, assuming it gets masked and assuming the weather stays dry.  I can always do that during work breaks next week.

The Revival cars need to be checked and any parts ordered.  Revival isn't until September this year but best to get them ready early, I think.

I want to dismantle and reassemble the LMT to make sure it's all correct, plus fit the power system so I can take it for a drive.

After that, there's loads of other micro-projects I can try to make progress with before I start on the Next Big Thing in a few weeks time.

Sunday eve - crack open some beers and enjoy a reheated version of whatever meal I made on Saturday, and watch the new Top Gear.

Have a great one, everybody!

• Like 2