9 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Hope you find something else, with a starting date, the day after you've been paid off and got the payment in the bankūü§ě

The good news is the company have offered us a reasonable payout on top of statutory redundancy pay (although there is a clause in the contract that we are quibbling).

The better news is that 2 days ago I got offered a really exciting position with a company that sounds totally fab, and I start 2 weeks after my current job comes to an end at the end of March.

The potentially awesome news is that I might have completed all my handovers within the next few days and not have to work in March either :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

The good news is the company have offered us a reasonable payout on top of statutory redundancy pay (although there is a clause in the contract that we are quibbling).

The better news is that 2 days ago I got offered a really exciting position with a company that sounds totally fab, and I start 2 weeks after my current job comes to an end at the end of March.

The potentially awesome news is that I might have completed all my handovers within the next few days and not have to work in March either :D

Brilliant news!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

That's great timing!

Been made redundant twice now. First one was amazing because I'd only been there 14 months, but they paid out quite a sum. It timed well with a holiday i'd already booked, had an interview for another job before I went on my hols and got told whilst I was away that i'd got the job. The redundancy helped with the deposit on my first flat.

Second one wasn't so good in that the payout wasn't great (i'd been there 10 years), it was at the height of COVID so not many firms were taking people on, my wife was pregnant and we were just about to apply for a mortgage to buy a house (a 2 bed flat was not going to be enough with a second kid on the way). However, it all worked out in the end thankfully, Like my current job better than the last and we got the house we wanted. 

So, I guess the message is, sometimes these things might seem **** at the time, but they often work out in the end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Well done on the quick and positive resolution and hopefully you get some good time off. Job hunting is stressful and not easy so it must feel great to be sorted. The few times I have changed jobs I've had some time off between (once was gardening leave) and the unexpected/unbooked nature of that time, plus no work hangover stresses, made it quite special as it got filled with some things I might not otherwise have ever done. Enjoy it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Well done on the quick and positive resolution and hopefully you get some good time off. Job hunting is stressful and not easy so it must feel great to be sorted. The few times I have changed jobs I've had some time off between (once was gardening leave) and the unexpected/unbooked nature of that time, plus no work hangover stresses, made it quite special as it got filled with some things I might not otherwise have ever done. Enjoy it! 

Totally. Second time, i was on furlough for a couple of months, then made redundant. My first child was 10months at the start of it, my wife then went back to work. I had a great time taking him out everyday and just spending so much more time with him that I would have done if I had been at work!

• Like 2

It's Friday again, peeps!  What are we all up to this weekend?

I have a feeling it will be a quiet one for me.  Severe intermittent pain has had be laid up half the week, the hospital can't see me until 23rd March so the docs have just (in the last 10 mins) upped my dosage of codeine so I might spend the next 3 weeks in pain, but at least I'll have a distant smile on my face.

Friday - I'm "working" this morning, although technically I have no work to do, so I'm hoping to catch up with my managers to discuss being taken off the roster entirely until my contract ends at the end of the month.  Also in a race against time to get the solicitors to amend our redundancy contracts before the deadline or we face losing out on a settlement payout.  My PM booked in a meeting for 2pm, which is annoying as I wanted to finish then to go for a walk.

Probably find time to do some tidying in the workshop, as it's got messy over the last few months and it's getting hard to work effectively there.

That said, the forecast is bad and it's been wet most of the week, and it's all chalk around here, so walking can be more like ice skating.  With all this pain maybe it's better to stay local instead of risking a fall in the middle of nowhere.

Tonight - probably have a pizza and if the pain isn't too bad and I've managed to stay off the codeine, I'll have a couple of beers.

Saturday - daddy/daughter day.  She said she wasn't to do something, but I'll have to play it by ear as I can't drive on codeine.  I got her a new Lego set for her birthday which for some reason she's reluctant to build (she had a great time building the last one <_< ).

Eve - cooking fried rice and maybe watch a film, or do something in the studio if I can sit on the studio chair.

Sunday - Workshop Sunday.  Dose up on codeine so I can stay upright all day.  Gotta sort out my cars for Tamiya Junkies in 2 weeks - the Cougar needs all the electrics fitting and a test-drive, plus body masking for paint, the King Blackfoot Promod needs the decals fitting, but I have no idea what else to take and what other things might need to be done before I go.  I've got 2 Sundays (plus potential spare weekdays) to get it all sorted.

I'd love to chill out with some writing and beers in the evening but after a whole day on my feet, I might have to claim the recliner and watch a film.

Whatever you're doing, have a totally fab one and if you're doing any RC stuff, take some pics :D

On 2/23/2024 at 10:11 PM, Mad Ax said:

My condolences.  We told our daughter that Peppa Pig doesn't work on our TV, she was 6 before she learned the truth, but she was too old for it by then.

It's all about Monster High and Just Add Magic now.

The first time my boy swore, he must have been about 3. 

"Mummy, I just want to watch Thomas the f**king Tank engine"

So , somewhat in shock, I sat him down and explained that, that type of behaviour is not acceptable in our house, and that when he is older, he can do what he likes 

He hasn't watched Thomas the f**ING Tank engine since. ūüėā¬†

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Totally. Second time, i was on furlough for a couple of months, then made redundant. My first child was 10months at the start of it, my wife then went back to work. I had a great time taking him out everyday and just spending so much more time with him that I would have done if I had been at work!

The bond you will have made because of that is unbreakable. And irreplaceable. 

• Like 2

Sounds like you're having a rough go of things at the moment @Mad Ax, hope things turn around for you soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

The first time my boy swore, he must have been about 3. 

"Mummy, I just want to watch Thomas the f**king Tank engine"

So , somewhat in shock, I sat him down and explained that, that type of behaviour is not acceptable in our house, and that when he is older, he can do what he likes 

He hasn't watched Thomas the f**ING Tank engine since. ūüėā¬†

Was bathing my 2 the other week (4 and almost 3 year old). They were fighting a little and splashing water everywhere, so I ask them to chill out a bit.

4 year old "It wasn't me who was ******* about"

2 year old "i wasn't ******* about either".

• Haha 2

It's Friday agai....  no, wait, it's Saturday already!  How did that happen? :blink:

I started writing this yesterday morning, when it technically was still Friday, but I got caught up in some legal wrangling (and a whole load of panicking) over the settlement agreement from my soon-to-be-ex employer, and before I knew it, it was time to pack up and go for a walk.

The weather was nice yesterday, so I drove out to Somerset for a walk on the Mendips, near Cheddar Gorge.  I managed 7 miles despite a lot of pain, which I consider something of a result, then got back for pizza and beers.  Painkillers plus beers caused an early end to the night, as I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer...

Saturday - housework this morning, then spend the day with my daughter.  We need to pop out to get a mother's day present and we'll make a card later.  Secretly hoping it will rain because she wants me to take her to the park to practice on her new rollerskates, but standing around or sitting on those park benches is really painful.  Maybe we can compromise and she can practice on the back lane while I clean out the van.

Tonight - cooking a Hairy Bikers' chicken recipe in memory of Dave Myers, and maybe get some studio time to make up for lost time last night

Sunday - Workshop Sunday!  I've got lots of little bits here and there to finish off ready for Tamiya Junkies next weekend, so that should keep me busy all day

Probably finish the day in the studio updating my build threads and other online stuff

Have yourselves a fantastic weekend, everyone :)

It's Friday, again!  Or, is it?  Hard to know for sure these days, as one day seems to sort of blend into the next :lol:

This weekend if my first Tamiya Junkies meet of the year, and my first since October last year, and my first big weekend away since November.

Friday - dropped my daughter off at school, then drove 2.5 hours to Dudley for a quick handover meeting with a colleague.  Meeting is now done, will pop over the pub for a light lunch in a mo, then I'm off work for the rest of the day.

Drive up to Ambergate in the Derwent Valley, which is very close to where the UK Scale Nationals is held.  I've driven through the area dozens of times but never had time to stop for a walk, so today I'm going to stop off for a 6 mile route along the valley.  I think it'll take around 90 mins to drive there from where I am right now, so I should be able to finish before dark.

Then drive another hour to Worksop, where I'm staying in a hotel tonight.  Big meal and a few pints while I work on one of my novels in the restaurant.

Saturday - up early for a cooked breakfast, then a lazy meander to Robin Hood Raceway for a long day of playing with toy cars and talking rubbish with fellow junkies and what looks like more than a few forum members.

Then it's a 4.5 hour drive back home, but it's south all the way, so it's downhill, and some of my favourite roads - they remind me of great times spend with great people!

Not sure if I'll have a takeaway or cook up a pizza from the freezer.

Sunday - spend the day with my daughter.  Maybe go for a walk in the woods if she wants to, or go to see some relatives who have been unwell.

Cook a Bolognese in the evening and relax ready for another week of "work" on Monday

Anybody else got anything exciting planned?

• Like 1

It's Friday again, people!  Does anyone have anything fun planned for this weekend?

Should be a quiet one for me, even quieter than usual.

Friday - not been given any work to do for a while, so work today will involve sorting some paperwork, tidying the house, and trying to finish some major updates the Arduino-based scaler controller.  That'll probably take most of the day.

Then I'm picking my daughter up from school and driving her to the grandparents in Bristol so she can spend the night with her cousins.  I'll probably hit traffic in each direction so might not be back until early evening, but I'll probably end the night with some writing.

Saturday - off to the hospital first thing for a scan, then home to tidy the workshop and maybe do some other DIY before my daughter comes back.  Help her finish the Lego kit she started last week and maybe play some Xbox together, then cook a low-calorie meat loaf from one of our slimming books.

Ford vs Ferrari is on Netflix, so I'll probably watch that in the evening, and offset the low-cal meatloaf by having a few beers.

Sunday - Workshop Sunday!  It's been a while, as I was away last weekend, but there's officially only 3 Workshop Sundays left before the 1st round of the Iconic Cup, and I still need to finish the trailer, sort a remote-operated ramp, make the tow hitch, and maybe even check over the M03 before then.  M03 needs a new control motor, repacked diff and a good service.

Evening - reheat the loaf and chill out in the studio before I go back to...  Well...  Not work, on Monday.

Anybody got anything exciting to do?

Thursday night - Have some alcohol to calm the nerves after getting an email for a Mandatory work-from-home day Friday, and a Mandatory online meeting scheduled Friday morning with restricted invite lists and such..  Rumors are layoffs.

Friday night - Have some alcohol to calm the nerves after being told we (hundreds of people in online meeting) were 'not affected' by the layoffs happening today...  Slow work day at least? Since literally every other meeting was cancelled except the mandatory one and a follow up with our manager.

• Like 1

Well it's Friday again!  And it's a Bank Holiday weekend, extra long with Friday and Monday off work.  Except I officially finished my job yesterday, so this should now be personal holiday time, except wife and child are home for the next 4 days :lol:  That should mean we'll do some family stuff, but my wife is a bit frazzled after a crazy work week, and the weather here has been awful with no sign of letting up for the next fortnight (there goes my 2 weeks off work...) so I think we'll just have a quiet one at home.

Friday - get my daughter up in a mo, spend the day together at home.  I think I'll cook a roast chicken this afternoon.

Evening - probably spend some time in the studio, or maybe watch a film.

Saturday - another day with my daughter, maybe take her out to an old house if the weather improves.

Evening - cook up some ribs (from a packet) and watch a film with the wife.

Sunday - Workshop Sunday!  Really gotta make some progress on the race trailer, only 2 more Sundays before Iconic Cup.  I spent all last weekend on it and mostly made the tail lift (pics still awaiting posting) but I haven't got the parts I need to install the servo yet.  Also need to install the new control motor in the M03 and give it a once-over to make sure it's all set and ready to race.

Evening - couple of beers and chill out in the studio.

Monday - in theory we're meeting family at the beach, but if this torrential rain continues the sea will probably get to us first.  Maybe just drive to my parents for the afternoon.  Daughter is staying away all next week so wife and I will probably have pizzas and a film when we get home.

Have yourselves a great weekend!  Anybody got any RC stuff planned?

• Like 1

Hope you have a lovely bit of time off between jobs @Mad Ax, surely there must be some break in the weather. It's been the most unbelievable winter.

For me, my partner and son have gone away for a few days, so Friday starts this:

20240329_082855

Interrupted only with eating and a dog walk. I've had the TD4 kit for over a year but just recently it has piqued my interest again to build it. And since I'm home alone I can build it at the kitchen table, in just my pants if I want. 

Tomorrow is a big bike ride, beer and curry with mates. Sunday a hungover breakfast, maybe a return to the TD4, a long drive and a renewed effort to improve my 3d printing. Monday I'm going to spend time with my mum and make marmalade. 

Overall, I'm really quite looking forward to this Easter weekend. 

• Like 2

I've got the day off, but wife doesn't.  She thinks that means errands, when it really means postal racing. :D  It is getting up to 50F (10C) and sunny, the best weather we've had most of the month.  Last chance to get some laps in!  Walk the dogs after I get the important stuff in. :)

Saturday rain, mostly relax.

Sunday we'll have an Easter dinner.

Monday off too, wife will probably have chores for me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's Friday again, team!  Usually I do this in the morning, but things got away from me and I had to go out.

Today has been a crazy day to end a crazy week - I've been fully off work for the first time in 2 months so I've been doing non-stop chores and DIY, taking just one day out to ride to the coast on my motorsickle.

Friday - I drove to Swindon, which is an hour away, to help a friend fix his motorsickle.  Except we couldn't fix it, so I think I have to get it trailered down my way and see if a local mechanic can work it out.

I stopped at Avebury on the way home for a walk.  Didn't have time for a long one (the car park closes at 6pm) so I just did 3 miles at a faster-than-usual pace.

Wife and child have demolished the meal I cooked last night, so, oh, what a terrible terrible shame, I guess I will have to have something out of the freezer.  And a couple of beers.  While I work on the novel.

Saturday - quiet day with my daughter.  Maybe finish her Lego kit, maybe make some mug cakes or something, and generally spend the day relaxing and getting my strength back.

Sunday - Workshop Sunday.  Last Sunday before Iconic Cup.  I need to rebuild the diff on the M03, put it back together, and install the race receiver, transponder and new motor, and make sure it's all ready to run.

Then I need to finish the trailer.  It's 90% there, mechanically, just needs a few bits tidying up and finishing off.  It has some flaws but it will have to do.

Then I've got to completely clear off the paint bench, clean it up, and prep the trailer body for paint.  There's a lot to go on as I want it to match my new Garage30 livery.  Or maybe the orange and black and silver that's on the M03.  I can't really decide.  Time might force my hand, as I'm running out of it.

Evening - design and print the new graphics for the trailer and M03.

Next week will be crazy - getting down all the paint on the trailer, decalling trailer and M03, tiding my bedroom / office and converting my fitted desk to a sit/stand desk, and lots of other stuff that's got to be done before I start my new job the following week.

I hope everyone else has a fantastic weekend :) 

• Like 1

My sons 10th birthday was Wednesday, and Tonight (Friday) my sister stopped by for a quick hello and to give him a gift.  Tomorrow we will see Grandma for lunch, then off to the Reptarium, a local reptile/spider place that will let some of them out of their cages to crawl on/around you.  Sunday is relaxing & chores, then Monday is a vacation day to go chase the solar eclipse! We are about a two hour drive from the center line in Ohio, and it looks like there aren't too many clouds in that area/that day.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 12:47 PM, Mad Ax said:

Robin Hood Raceway for a long day of playing with toy cars and talking rubbish with fellow junkies and what looks like more than a few forum members.

How did you get on?

Is it worth a 600 mile round trip? 

I keep promising to head down, but look at my watch, and it's Christmas again!!ūüė¨. Santa Pod is nearby, so maybe tie in with an event there too..ūü§Ē

20 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

How did you get on?

Is it worth a 600 mile round trip? 

It's worth a 400 mile round trip, if that's any help?  I usually make a weekend of it.  A night in the Premier Inn means I can have a decent meal, some peace and quiet to work on my laptop, and a decent breakfast before the day starts.

The event went really well, biggest turnout ever and loads of track time.  It's a great place to run all those random things that you never get a chance to run properly anywhere.  As well as my Super Astute, Cougar Classic, custom Hotshot and DT-03, I also ran my G6-01, Clod Buster, WR-02 Wild Mini, custom Wild Dagger, XV-01 Asterion, and the MTX-1.  I even had space outside to do some top-speed runs with the LMT-1.  Previously I've run Blackfeet and Mod Clods and even got some rallycross time with the TA-01 Celica.

Last time I was able to stop in at my old office in Dudley, which is about half-way, which offset some of the fuel cost, but I've left that company so won't be able to do that again.  My new employer has an office in Cheltenham, which is sort of on the way, but they won't pay mileage for office visits.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I can have a decent meal, some peace and quiet

Well, thats me sold ūüĎćūüėÄ

• Haha 1

Been on here for a wee while now and this is the first time I've scrolled down to the bottom of the topic list!  Had a good read with a cuppa on some of the recent ones, I like this thread given I work from home Fridays and usually hop on TC for a read about now most weeks!

I'll get the ball rolling for today, I've had a tinker with my XV-01 as it sits behind the work desk and I decided the body was sitting a little high at the front, so got that sorted.  Tonight is kids swimming lessons and time with them.

Saturday, kids party to take my daughter to in the morning, if the weather is decent me and my son could take the monster trucks round the park for an hour (fingers crossed).

Sunday, kids rugby but then a quiet afternoon, assuming my "sticks like sh*t" order appears today or tomorrow I'll combine it with the scrim tape I already received on my M08 mini, ready to visit the track next week for my first experience of a carpet circuit!

• Like 2

Ironically, I'm down south visiting family,¬† and only minutes from Robinhood Raceway, (but wasnt any room in the car, for any Tamiyas...)ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

‚ėÜ Turns out, the Nationals are there this weekend too!!! ūüę£

• Like 1

It's Friday again!  Despite last weekend being race weekend, I neglected to post since I was also busy prepping for a day out with my wife and starting my new job on Monday.

So here I am, one week later, just one more day to go to finish my first week at work.  Currently haven't done any actual work, still being trained (or more specifically waiting for the training schedules to come around), training myself on some topics I don't have experience with, and getting excited to actually start work in the next week or so.

Friday - school run in 5 mins, then WFH today.  To top off an already busy and stressful week, I have a filling at 2:30.  Perfect time for a dentist's appointment.  So probably not having the usual spicy food and beer for dinner tonight, instead I might be able to do some tidying in the workshop before bed.

Saturday - quiet day at home with my daughter.  Stress levels have been off the scale this week with meeting lots of new people, 3 solid days in a busy office and staying away from home - I've not done a full day in an office since 2018 - so I need some quiet time tomorrow.  Hopefully my daughter won't want to go out anywhere, although it was her first week back at school since Easter, and she spent most of Easter away with grandparents, so she's probably ready for some relax time too.

Eve - cook a meal and maybe chill with a movie, or maybe see if I've fixed the bugs in the scaler controller software.

Sunday - Workshop Sunday.  Finish the tidying first, sort out my race stuff from last weekend, then I think I'll get the hillwalking rig down and see what else needs doing.  I haven't been walking for a long time, and it's only 5 weeks until I set off for my walking holiday in the lakes, so I really need to get some miles in.  If I can get the truck moving under its own power, I'll take it out for a test-play and see how it handles the hills.  I expect the shocks will be too soft and the tyres not up to the task, but it'll be fun finding out.

Eve - spicy pizza and a few beers before getting back to the new job on Monday morning.

Have a great one, everybody :) 

• Like 1