Sign in to follow this  
futureworks

Tamiya Fuel Indicators - a question

Hi 

Tamiya produced a fuel indicator back in the 1990’s and created two variants of the same model, as pictured. One says it’s for Sanwa, the other says it’s for a Tamiya, Futaba, and KO. I’m supposing (possibly quite incorrectly) that the two versions differ in terms of the connector plug, perhaps the way it’s wired. These fit I believe between the power source for the receiver (4AA battery box) and the receiver itself. My question is that if I’m using Acoms radio gear, which fuel indicator is compatible?

I would be grateful for some enlightenment!

CC131156-1AFE-4300-AC0E-470847433587.jpeg

7D0ACB60-26DC-4A3A-BD1F-5825CEEA0760.jpeg

I don't know anything about these devices but until the early 90s Sanwa was wired with reverse polarity in the receivers compared to other brands. So that is probably the most likely reason for the difference.

Acoms would be standard polarity like Futaba as far as I know.

6 hours ago, sosidge said:

Acoms would be standard polarity like Futaba as far as I know.

A bit more hunting on other forums via a google search seems to suggest that the positives and negatives are reversed for Sanwa vs. Futaba, and...

1) From this forum, in 2009, a member mentioned that “Most Acoms I know still run the old sanwa wiring sequence.”

2) someone was asking if a futaba servo would work with an acoms receiver, and discovered that “the futaba servo plug must be plugged in upside down for it to work“, which suggests the polarity of the wiring is reversed between the two manufacturers.

Seems like the Sanwa fuel indicator is going to be the correct one to go with Acoms gear.

Or the other one and you simply swap two wires (as suggested in many rc electronics manuals) :)