SuperJoeUK

Javelin arrives tomorrow - Motor confusion !

Hi,

ok sorry might just be me being dense, been a looong week at work  :blink:.

As per tile my Kyosho javelin re re arrives tomorrow and I’m trying to decide on a motor to fit to it.  I can get a Kyosho g series 15t for £11 (which seems REALLY cheap cause everything else Kyosho seems expensive). Can’t seem to find much in the way of reviews or tech specs for g series online though.

But the G series is advertised as 15 turns, a tamiya sport motor is £25 ish, and is 23 turns. 

So the Kyosho g series would be faster that the tamiya sport ? (and half the price & in stock). So until I decide what brushless to put into the javelin it seems like the Kyosho is a no brainer for now, cheap, faster than a tamiya sport (or any kit 27t silver cans I have lying about) and well it’s a Kyosho motor in Kyosho car ?

Yeah, its the stock motor that comes in the Kyosho Outlaw Rampage. Its pretty pokey so should send the Javelin along nicely and doesnt require a billion pound esc as it can be run off of a hw1060

Ok cheers,

I actually had one in my basket, along with a hw1060, and took the motor and esc out at the last minute :huh:

Partly because my brain couldn’t get over the price, “can’t be any good at that price” etc. But then working from 9am till midnight several days running I wasn’t thinking straight at 1am or whenever it was I ordered the car lol.

But then I have a tble02 here and could get a Turnigy trackstar 13.5t Sensored brushless for the same money as the above two... so would get better run time....

Or I could put the money towards a hw combo, just not one as mental as the 4000kv BL in my sons haiboxing rocket....

arrgghh dunno :wacko:

Had a lot of interrogation when I built my Turbo Scorpion, and I believe I will have similar ones when Javelin and Turbo Optima will be there.  I prefer to go for Brushless in the Kyosho. Whatever you choose, pay attention to the instruction manual and the information about the size requirements for both ESC and servo. The place is very limited in the tub of the Turbo Scorpion and I had to change choice for both ESC and steering servo due to this. I believe it is the same for the Javelin and the Turbo Optima (specially in terms of height, so if you could find one ESC which doesn't require fan, it is probably better)....

On brushless, I would tend to go for a 540 13.5T, but did not decide wich one yet. For My Turbo Scorpion, it is a SkyRC Ares V2 I got in. The ESC is a SkyRC TS120A which fits the sizing, but have unfortunately a switch on the ESC itself rather than outside of the ESC (this should not be an issue on a Javelin or Turbo Optima - and the idea is to change this one to put it in one of those two and change it by something more practical on the Turbo Scorpion).

SkyRc, never looked at their stuff before, something else to look into :rolleyes:

I was thinking of this

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=420922

But would have to put esc where driver should go (if it would fit there) but then I never put drivers in cars anyway...(mind you after watching mechanic after hours driver vid I want an avante driver now lol.  Well a driver like it anyway i.e not a steering wheel)

Went with cheap option for now, hw1060 and g series 15t brushed. (Fairly sure hw1060 fits as I think that’s what Gavin at rckicks put in his).

10 hours ago, SuperJoeUK said:

SkyRc, never looked at their stuff before, something else to look into :rolleyes:

I was thinking of this

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=420922

But would have to put esc where driver should go (if it would fit there) but then I never put drivers in cars anyway...(mind you after watching mechanic after hours driver vid I want an avante driver now lol.  Well a driver like it anyway i.e not a steering wheel)

Went with cheap option for now, hw1060 and g series 15t brushed. (Fairly sure hw1060 fits as I think that’s what Gavin at rckicks put in his).

Yes, HW1060 should go easily there.... For the EZRun combo, I believe it could go where the pilot is, but I believe you will have a problem hiding cables, specially on a Javelin. And going for another driver figure is always possible, but you will have to find proper positioning for the RX. Already saw some people rebuilding the superior plate of Optima/Javelin to fit things differently or ESCs with fans... Ultimately, it's matter of choice and options when you do it, and everyone is free to do it the way they want.

On my side, the only buggy I have without a driver is my DT03, and I'm intending to add one asap: I can't conceive a buggy without a driver :-D

I've going to see how it goes with the g series, then see if I want to put a HW combo in B)

I've never put drivers in cars, but not saying those who do are wrong, each to their own, I like the fact that people have different tastes !  

I just think they look odd just having 1/3 of a body etc...…. BUT since I posted the above I have seen a youtube video of a well painted Avante driver..... And now I want one of those to put in my Javelin lol. I'd imagine my chances of getting one are about zero though !  

So my opinion on drivers might be changing ^_^ The mad thing is I've been painting miniatures for nearly 20 years, so have all the paints etc to do a half decent job.   I have my sons Mad Bull Driver still on sprue..... Might have to have a go at painting it...

One of my Javelin re res has a HW 17.5T brushless motor and HW speed control. The other has an ARRMA stunt buggy ESC and a Fuze motor. In both cases, I had to cut away the back of the driver to get the ESCs to fit. Probably could have run the ESCs under the upper deck plates behind the battery. Whatever, the setups work.

I always build with drivers, FWIW.

6 hours ago, SuperJoeUK said:

I've going to see how it goes with the g series, then see if I want to put a HW combo in B)

I've never put drivers in cars, but not saying those who do are wrong, each to their own, I like the fact that people have different tastes !  

I just think they look odd just having 1/3 of a body etc...…. BUT since I posted the above I have seen a youtube video of a well painted Avante driver..... And now I want one of those to put in my Javelin lol. I'd imagine my chances of getting one are about zero though !  

So my opinion on drivers might be changing ^_^ The mad thing is I've been painting miniatures for nearly 20 years, so have all the paints etc to do a half decent job.   I have my sons Mad Bull Driver still on sprue..... Might have to have a go at painting it...

I'm not sure how it is for the Javelin (I don't have mine yet :-) , but on the Turbo Scorpion, Kyosho really makes the thing easy to do. I believe it is the same for the Javelin : harness is delivered with stickers (you can still paint them, but it will be your choice), steering wheel and around the pilot are stickers again. And for the helmet, you can paint the face, or skip it, as there is a sticker for a black visor you can put on the helmet... Ultimately, if you want to make easy, white under the driver body, and one color for the helmet and it is done... (I did it slightly more complex with the Turbo Scorpion (pic below: under the harness stickers, there is red paint, under the black ones there is black paint - yes, it is useless and I did it, just... because! :-D) and will do as well on the Javelin - specifically because that is the only part of this buggy which is not going to be box art...)

Ug0nqor.jpg

For brushed, my goto is the 15t firebolt and 1060 esc, of you want quicker than that, you may aswell go brushless (unless it must be brushed)

I've just built a Kyosho Ultima, and went with this combo - 

Tried and tested ,10BL120

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=425021 

And a 10.5t motor (around 4300kv, but sensored, so I can add some timing for more KV)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=35157

Plus a sensor lead.

The way the Ultima is designed, the esc fan sits on top of the top plate, and bolts to the esc under it, so need some longer bolts before i can get it nailed in.