Dakratfink

Curbside find

So, A good part of my RC hobby is funded by selling discarded lawn mowers and bicycles I fix up. 
Today I came across this in the trash 

It’s about 1/5 scale ( huge) and appears to be a slightly higher end toy grade . Or hybrid between toy and hobby grade.  There is no remote but it says it had a 27mhz radio when it ran The rider moves like aKyosho Hang on rider. 
It came with a 9.6v Nihm with a standard Tamiya plug. 
The insides, to include the battery tray. Are packed with sand. So this ought to be an interesting tear down. 
I’d like to do a “resto Mod “ restoration on it putting (cheap) hobby grade electronics and possibly bearings if I can find a set that fits . 

image.jpg

• Like 10

Began the tear down tonight. Sand and grit inside moving parts was a little “crunchy” but nothing worn or damaged. 

A9FD11EC-802C-4EF0-8041-E0806C50E212.jpeg

502E2D96-8998-49CF-A36A-FC765D13305B.jpeg

B033D0FC-22FC-4F98-8ADF-7FF8A5816FA2.jpeg

• Like 6

I stopped home for lunch this afternoon and before going back to work I tested the 380 size motor that was in the bike. At least I think it is standard 380 size I haven’t measured for sure . I stripped the ends of the lead wires bare and stuck them to terminals of a battery. Yep, it spins all right. Then I cleaned it with motor spray  and compressed air and oiled the comm and bushings with some 3in1 electric motor oil .

Im not sure if I’ll use that motor when I put it together or run a “hotter” brushed 380 or even a mini brushless set up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NWarty said:

In for updates. Very cool find 

Thanks for following. 
No big progress tonight but I’m sure I’ll do some more on it this weekend. 
I’m debating if this should be moved to a build thread or stay in the Marui section. 

I missed this one when posted here. What a cool motorcycle! Would love to see it running :)

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 5:46 PM, mongoose1983 said:

I missed this one when posted here. What a cool motorcycle! Would love to see it running :)

I got busy messing with Nitro and some of my 1:1 motorcycles, but I feel like I’m ready to tear back into this project

• Like 1

Update : ( no pictures in this post ) 

I think I found a radio solution for this project. 
I recently got a flysky GT3c so I can just throw a rx in there and bind it up.

I am still looking for ideas for Esc and battery . 
The pack it came with was one of those 9.6v NiMh flat packs that New Bright and Walmart type cars often come with. So I will need a Nihm or lipo pack of similar size since I don’t plan to do massive fabrication to modify the existing battery box. 
For an ESC there are a ton of cheap options on eBay, from little micro and airplane drone ones to HW1060 knockoffs.

I do have room inside there for a full size car type esc if I choose to go that way and the standard RX for the Flysky are like $6 each and tiny so most of the Electronics will be cheap and easy to fit. 
as I mentioned in initial  tear down post, a standard servo will fit. 
So I guess the big obstacles will

be battery, Esc and then decide if I’m gonna upgrade the motor or leave the one that came in it